Tevin Coleman's 40

tm1119

Reaction score
If the Cowboys didn't have a legitimate need in this area, you would be right about this being an over-reaction.

If only there were 7 or 8 other really talented backs in this class. And if only good RB's were routinely drafted past the 1st round. Oh wait....

JBell

That's still my Quarterback
Reaction score
Just confirms what a lot of us could see with our eyes. The guy has breakaway speed.

Unlike Murray, when he gets into the open field, it's a house call. I'm just not sure about his ability to be a chain mover like Murray was.

locked&loaded

Reaction score
I'm with you on this. I have watched various highlights of all the other rb's available and I really am not sold on their ability as 3 down back's. And I'm not crazy about the idea of the Cowboys taking a committee approach. The more I read, the higher Coleman climb's my petcat list. Gurley's injury concern's me. Gordon carried the ball alot last year and doesn't exactly have the top-end speed you would like in a RB. Coleman on the other hand, look's like more of a complete back, doesn't have the injury concerns and based on the aforementioned 40, may even be faster than Gurley, which was very surprising considering Coleman's size. But like you, any of those 3 would be awesome, especially if the Cowboys are somehow able to pull one of them in the second.

Why are you surprised that Coleman, the much smaller guy, may be faster than Gurley?

ccb04

Reaction score
Here is what Coleman did after the foot injury

Iowa - 15 Att, 219 Yds, 14.6 AYPC, 3 TDs
MSU - 15 Att, 132 Yds, 8.8 AYPC, 0 TDs
Mich - 27 Att, 108 Yds, 4.0 AYPC, 0 TDs
PSU - 20 Att, 71 Yds, 3.6 AYPC, 0 TDs
Rutg - 32 Att, 307 Yds, 9.6 AYPC, 1 TD
OSU - 27 Att, 228 Yds, 8.4 AYPC, 3 TDs
Pur - 29 Att, 130 Yds, 4.5 AYPC, 0 TDs

Particularly interesting, in that Indiana lost it's starting QB, Sudfeld, for the season against Iowa. They lost their 2nd string Covington after his mother passed away and he had to leave. They ended up going with Redshirt Freshman Zander Diamont, who wasn't even recruited as a QB. I watched him against Michigan and they basically ran the wildcat. Michigan stacked the line and played most of that game on Indiana's side of the LOS. I wonder what Coleman would have been able to do without the foot injury and with a QB?

Some of those teams listed were among the top rush defenses in the nation.

Michigan St: #1
Penn St: #3
Michigan: #15 (among the games that showed he can gain some dirty yards)
Ohio St: #34

Sudfeld is decent. In 6 games as a starter, Diamont threw for 515 & 1 TD vs. 4 Int. They ran him 55 times...for just 133 yards (49 yards coming off of 1 carry).

Doomsday101

Reaction score
If only there were 7 or 8 other really talented backs in this class. And if only good RB's were routinely drafted past the 1st round. Oh wait....

You can that about any position and just like any other position some of these guys will be bust.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It depends on the team that Coleman lands on. McFadden could be great by merit of the Cowboys offensive line and should the increased emphasis on running continue in 2015. Coleman could suck by merit of landing on a terrible team.

However, if the Cowboys land Coleman, I would think Coleman would have the better year simply because he is the more complete back and based on what I have read, is not made of glass.

I should have said if Coleman was drafted by the Cowboys and McFadden was not here OR McFadden healthy and no draft pick.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I understand where you're coming from and I feel the same way... but speaking for myself, his 40 time had nothing to do with what I said or how I feel about him. I liked him before he ran. As you said, we all knew he was fast anyway. His 40 just confirmed that for us all.

I think the forty time is more important for some RBs than others because of different styles. Coleman seems dependent on speed more than someone like Yeldon.

tm1119

Reaction score
You can that about any position and just like any other position some of these guys will be bust.

Of course some of them are going to be busts, that's the nature of any draft. But I don't think you can say the same about any position. There are 32 starting RB's in the NFL, what % of them do you think were drafted in the 1st at this point? I don't feel like going through the entire list but I'd bet it's a small percentage. Don't think you could say the same for many positions besides G, C, and RT...maybe DT too but not sure. Either way, there is an undeniable trend of RB's being picked later and later in the draft and I don't see why we should buck that trend because of a need. We should be very comfortable targeting minimum 5 or 6 guys in this deep draft class. Be patient and 1 of those guys will present a very good value in the 2nd or 3rd round.

dallasdave

Reaction score
Coleman sounds like a breakaway back, that can take it all the way !!!

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Of course some of them are going to be busts, that's the nature of any draft. But I don't think you can say the same about any position. There are 32 starting RB's in the NFL, what % of them do you think were drafted in the 1st at this point? I don't feel like going through the entire list but I'd bet it's a small percentage. Don't think you could say the same for many positions besides G, C, and RT...maybe DT too but not sure. Either way, there is an undeniable trend of RB's being picked later and later in the draft and I don't see why we should buck that trend because of a need. We should be very comfortable targeting minimum 5 or 6 guys in this deep draft class. Be patient and 1 of those guys will present a very good value in the 2nd or 3rd round.

and 2 will go in rd 1 very likely just as 2 QB will go in rd 1. What rd you go in has more to do with talent than position. I think too many people look at RB as a position just anyone can do and that is far from the truth.

locked&loaded

Reaction score
Wow if thats true that's unreal. He's the number 1 prospect I want, trade up Jerry It will be worth it.

At the combine Gurley said his coaches had him running in the 4.2s, but he figured they were just trying to pump him up. He said he was probably really running about a 4.35, very modest of him.

jnday

Reaction score
It depends on the team that Coleman lands on. McFadden could be great by merit of the Cowboys offensive line and should the increased emphasis on running continue in 2015. Coleman could suck by merit of landing on a terrible team.

However, if the Cowboys land Coleman, I would think Coleman would have the better year simply because he is the more complete back and based on what I have read, is not made of glass.

I would take Coleman or any of the other 6-7 RB prospects before I would depend on McFadden. McFadden has already been proven as a first round bust , but at least these others have not yet shown that they are a bust, so they at least have a chance of a good career.

jnday

Reaction score
At the combine Gurley said his coaches had him running in the 4.2s, but he figured they were just trying to pump him up. He said he was probably really running about a 4.35, very modest of him.

I repeatedly heard the announcers refer to Gurley as a track star in the couple Greorgia games I watched this year. He should be fast.

Gaede

Reaction score
40 or no 40, I am totally cool with either Gurley, Gordon or Coleman at 27.

I know there's value and all that later in the draft, but the running game is what launched our success last year. Any of these three can take us to the next level imo.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I think the fall off after Gurley, Coleman and Gordon is much more pronounced than most believe. If the Cowboys are not able to land at least one of these 3, I'll be pretty disappointed...and I don't believe any of the 3 will slide to 60.

Fair enough.

I think a lotof people have Coleman rated 4-6 range. I saw one that had him even lower than that.
Maybe we like him more, but that's not the majority.
Then again. It's just takes one.