Tevin Coleman's 40

jday

Reaction score
If only there were 7 or 8 other really talented backs in this class. And if only good RB's were routinely drafted past the 1st round. Oh wait....

Are value of the RB's available clearly differs. I see 3 - Gurley, Gordon, and Coleman - the rest are average at best, in my opinion.

jday

Reaction score
Why are you surprised that Coleman, the much smaller guy, may be faster than Gurley?

I was surprised based on his (what look's to be) stockier frame and the highlights I watched were he seemed to be much slower. Of course, now I know he was dealing with a foot injury, but I still expected somewhere around a 4.5...not a 4.3.

jday

Reaction score
I should have said if Coleman was drafted by the Cowboys and McFadden was not here OR McFadden healthy and no draft pick.

That particular question is extremely difficult to answer because you never really know how a rookie will adjust to the faster speed of the NFL.

jday

Reaction score
I would take Coleman or any of the other 6-7 RB prospects before I would depend on McFadden. McFadden has already been proven as a first round bust , but at least these others have not yet shown that they are a bust, so they at least have a chance of a good career.

The only thing that gives me pause on dismissing McFadden as a bust is where he has played since being drafted. A part of me is very curious how different things may have been had he played for a team not known for being where good players go to be irrelevant.

jday

Reaction score
Fair enough.

I think a lotof people have Coleman rated 4-6 range. I saw one that had him even lower than that.
Maybe we like him more, but that's not the majority.
Then again. It's just takes one.

I've seen those reports too. I'm not buying it. I honestly don't see him getting past the 2nd round, but I could be wrong. I get that past draft's would suggest that RB's have been devalued, but it is a copy-cat league. The Cowboys knocked the dust off of an old, but tried and true blueprint for success, and I fully expect several middling to struggling teams to attempt to reproduce what the Cowboys did last season.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I think the forty time is more important for some RBs than others because of different styles. Coleman seems dependent on speed more than someone like Yeldon.

I agree with that. I do think Coleman is a little more straight line-ish than Gordon and so would be a tad more reliant on pure speed. Watching them both play though it is apparent that they're plenty fast enough, regardless of their 40 time.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I agree with that. I do think Coleman is a little more straight line-ish than Gordon and so would be a tad more reliant on pure speed. Watching them both play though it is apparent that they're plenty fast enough, regardless of their 40 time.

Gordan can make moves without losing speed. When he runs between the tackle you will see him thow a move on the DL, another a step or two later on the LB and then again on the safety. Then its about whether or not the far safety too a good angle.

Very few backs in the history of the NFL can do that at the NFL level. He has a shot to.

rags747

Reaction score
I would be happy with Gurley, Gordon, Coleman or Ajay, probably in that order although Gurley's knee worries me for 2015. Gurley and Gordon probably rnd 1 with Coleman and Ajay being gone by 40.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Gordan can make moves without losing speed. When he runs between the tackle you will see him thow a move on the DL, another a step or two later on the LB and then again on the safety. Then its about whether or not the far safety too a good angle.

Very few backs in the history of the NFL can do that at the NFL level. He has a shot to.

Yes, he has terrific vision and run instincts IMO. Very subtle head bobs or changes in direction... he is very good at setting defenders up. His speed is just good but his acceleration is rare, and when he gets the defender to slow down and break down even a little... Gordon goes from 0 to 60 almost instantaneously and the tackler is toast. He also is very good about moving his legs away from arm tackles (almost like a hurdler) and what would normally be a tackle around the legs turns into a whiff.

A lot goes in to making Gordon a great runner.

Aven8

Reaction score
Been saying it since day 1, best back in the draft! Unless M Brown is there at 27 I run to the podium!

DFWJC

Reaction score
I've seen those reports too. I'm not buying it. I honestly don't see him getting past the 2nd round, but I could be wrong. I get that past draft's would suggest that RB's have been devalued, but it is a copy-cat league. The Cowboys knocked the dust off of an old, but tried and true blueprint for success, and I fully expect several middling to struggling teams to attempt to reproduce what the Cowboys did last season.

No doubt it's a copycat league.
We know,however, that having a QB perform like we had helps a ton. Combine that with finally having a dominant line and you can run all day.

Pretty hard to duplicate, teams will try.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
Coleman has some serious ability, it will be interesting to see where he lands, it will depend on not only who loves the player but also when the run on backs begins this year.

Player has home run ability, aggressive and physical style with great hands and sound blocking.

I would love to grab Coleman, it will just depend how the draft falls and what we do at 27!

burmafrd

Reaction score
Sounds like they might be running on the Virginia Tech track....you know, the one that was a couple yards short of 40.

never saw anything that actually supported that. Urban Legend that they were running less than 40 yards. And certainly not anymore. Not with everyone watching.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Dmac ran 4.33 too.these guys with upright styles have trouble with the dirty yards,frankly Coleman will be a waste here as we have a bigger and faster version already here.

Murray relished the dirty yards. No one excelled in picking up dirty yards more than Murray did in 2014, that includes Beast Mode himself.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Screen-Shot-2015-02-22-at-9.39.58-PM.png

vs

635646969772865213-inidc5-6k2z9jg0sb9j4ld37s-original.jpg

You tell me, if Gordon is 215 than Coleman is....

Gordon definitely wins the Mr. Physique contest, not even close. You would think a guy that big would be a better blocker. Games I watched, he either lacked effort or his technique just flat out sucked. Coleman runs faster, has better hands and pass protects his QBs like they were his newborn baby.

jnday

Reaction score
The only thing that gives me pause on dismissing McFadden as a bust is where he has played since being drafted. A part of me is very curious how different things may have been had he played for a team not known for being where good players go to be irrelevant.

Other RBs have beat McFadden out of playing time and they have run the ball better than him. That says a lot to me.

jday

Reaction score
Other RBs have beat McFadden out of playing time and they have run the ball better than him. That says a lot to me.

I've read that to...but I'm not so sure how much weight that should carry in the "McFadden is a bust" argument when once again balanced against who he was playing for. There are several different variables that have to be considered when measuring a running back's effectiveness against another running back. Granted, at face value, given the same OL on same team, it does bring McFadden ability in to question...but I wouldn't be surprised to see McFadden have some success behind the Cowboys Ol, despite that debate. His injury history is more of a concern to me than his lack of effectiveness playing for the Raiders. With that alone being said, the Cowboys need to draft a RB for the future and should do so early on in the draft, in my no-where-close-to-being-an-expert opinion. As I stated before, if the Cowboys don't draft one of the big three (Gurley, Gordon, or Coleman), I will be dissappointed.