Texas and OU have expressed interest in joining SEC

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As a KC resident who grew up in Texas, I love KC BBQ!!!! It's so good!!!
KC is like the Carolinas and more sauce dependent, which is fine as I like a good sauce. The KC sauces are a little too sweet for me. I make my own with a lot of vinegar.

Had Arthur Bryant's ribs back in the 70's and they were really good but still sauce dependent. Unlike Memphis ribs which are all about the rub and the mop.

Texas likes to brag about their BBQ but I'll put OK up against it time after time because they don't focus so much on brisket, they do the whole thing and do it really well.

Back in the 70's, there was a BBQ joint in Chickasha, OK owned by a black family and that was the best I ever had and the sides as well. There is also this place in Greenville, TX, also owned by a black family and it is excellent, or was 10 years ago. I met the owner and asked him why BBQ prepared by black people was so different and why I preferred that to just about any made by white people. He simply said he cooks everything to go together and the sauce is the backbone of everything and most black BBQers he knows are the same. His sauce was good enough to just slurp down without any meat.

Back in the day, a local Dallas chain, Dickey's, did a pretty good business and this was before the designer BBQ guys like Franklin. I found out why I lost my taste for their sauce. The man that originally made it, a black BBQer, left and it was never the same. They didn't even have his recipe.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
KC is like the Carolinas and more sauce dependent, which is fine as I like a good sauce. The KC sauces are a little too sweet for me. I make my own with a lot of vinegar.

Had Arthur Bryant's ribs back in the 70's and they were really good but still sauce dependent. Unlike Memphis ribs which are all about the rub and the mop.

Texas likes to brag about their BBQ but I'll put OK up against it time after time because they don't focus so much on brisket, they do the whole thing and do it really well.

Back in the 70's, there was a BBQ joint in Chickasha, OK owned by a black family and that was the best I ever had and the sides as well. There is also this place in Greenville, TX, also owned by a black family and it is excellent, or was 10 years ago. I met the owner and asked him why BBQ prepared by black people was so different and why I preferred that to just about any made by white people. He simply said he cooks everything to go together and the sauce is the backbone of everything and most black BBQers he knows are the same. His sauce was good enough to just slurp down without any meat.

Back in the day, a local Dallas chain, Dickey's, did a pretty good business and this was before the designer BBQ guys like Franklin. I found out why I lost my taste for their sauce. The man that originally made it, a black BBQer, left and it was never the same. They didn't even have his recipe.
I make my own sauce too when I'm not lazy.
ketchup, spicy brown mustard, thai chillies, worcestershire, salt, pepper, a couple shots of bourbon.

My fave sauce is still Stubbs but like from Stubbs in Lubbock not off the shelf. --every red dirt guy/band worth their salt played there.

Still I think sauce is really a way to recover overcooked or under-flavored BBQ more than a prime judge of flavor.

I just got a new pellet smoker to have some newer features like PID controller and bluetooth/wifi control.
Grabbed about 300 worth of meat and going to be busy through Labor Day!

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
But back on topic here, with PAC 12 saying they'll stand pat it seems the B12 will sit and expand.
I'd love them to ignore immediate dollar return and go big.
Add 8 teams to get to 4 pods of 4.
Something like:
Plains: UNLV, Boise St, Texas Tech, Ok ST
Lone Star: HOU, SMU, TCU, BAY
American: UCF, Tulane WVA, Cincy
Heartland: KAN, KST, IOWAST, Memphis

This is hardly exhaustive as far as team research but I'd get to 16. There is strength in numbers and the current contract forces ESPN to pay full shares to any members through 2024.

But all these teams would need to cough up long grant of rights.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
All the SEC needs now is one more Florida powerhouse, and you might as well call them NFL 2.

cowboyec

Reaction score
im too much a tradition guy.
i don't like it.
ou and texas belong in the big xii.
just my opinion.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
im too much a tradition guy.
i don't like it.
ou and texas belong in the big xii.
just my opinion.
I was that way about the SWC and adjusted and once A&M jumped, I assumed this was what was to come.

When the sport became ruled by TV, money became the sport.

It's the same way for the NFL, they changed the rules to please TV but consider that first out of the park contract over 15 years ago, the combined TV nets agreed the pay the NFL more than the combined value of every team and the meteoric rise in team value is because of the TV contracts.

However, this latest deal with OU and UT is as much about recruiting because they're both two of the richer programs in the NCAA. OU is flat tired of getting aced out for the 4 and 5 star D recruits and it showed again yesterday letting Tulane come back and get 35 points on OU's homefield. Riley is tired of an 0-4 CFP record because of his lack of defense and the SEC gets their unfair share and that was on display yesterday with Bama and UGA.

cowboyec

Reaction score
I was that way about the SWC and adjusted and once A&M jumped, I assumed this was what was to come.

When the sport became ruled by TV, money became the sport.

It's the same way for the NFL, they changed the rules to please TV but consider that first out of the park contract over 15 years ago, the combined TV nets agreed the pay the NFL more than the combined value of every team and the meteoric rise in team value is because of the TV contracts.

However, this latest deal with OU and UT is as much about recruiting because they're both two of the richer programs in the NCAA. OU is flat tired of getting aced out for the 4 and 5 star D recruits and it showed again yesterday letting Tulane come back and get 35 points on OU's homefield. Riley is tired of an 0-4 CFP record because of his lack of defense and the SEC gets their unfair share and that was on display yesterday with Bama and UGA.
i miss the days of the big 8 and swc.
ou v nebraska.
texas v a&m.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Great news for all of us schools remaining in Big 12. Adding 4 new schools could come as soon as this week .

BYU, Cincinnati, Central Florida and Houston could begin playing in 2023 while Tx and Ou are still here.

Most importantly this will allow Big 12 after the departure of our two biggest names for the conference to remain a Power 5 conference and automatic bid in new college football playoff format.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Great news for all of us schools remaining in Big 12. Adding 4 new schools could come as soon as this week .

BYU, Cincinnati, Central Florida and Houston could begin playing in 2023 while Tx and Ou are still here.

Most importantly this will allow Big 12 after the departure of our two biggest names for the conference to remain a Power 5 conference and automatic bid in new college football playoff format.
I don't see OU and UT in the Big 12 in 22, let alone 23.

Once a conference is set to change, it is best for every school to move forward. The AD's are angry at both, but more at UT, but they need to do something positive for the conference and that is best done by putting all of this behind them. UT has always done was is best for themselves and they could care less how the Big 12 tries to hold their feet to the fire.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I don't see OU and UT in the Big 12 in 22, let alone 23.

Once a conference is set to change, it is best for every school to move forward. The AD's are angry at both, but more at UT, but they need to do something positive for the conference and that is best done by putting all of this behind them. UT has always done was is best for themselves and they could care less how the Big 12 tries to hold their feet to the fire.
Personally now that the conference is saved , don’t really care. But if our new members aren’t planning on joining until 2023 I could see the departing teams remain at least until then. We shall see.

For now we can take a sigh of relief that our conference ( those of us still in it) will survive and still be a Power 5 conference with all of the credibility attached thereof .

Last edited:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Personally now that the conference is saved , don’t really care. But if our new members aren’t planning on joining until 2023 I could see the departing teams remain at least until then. We shall see.

For now we can take a sigh of relief that our conference ( those of us still in it) will survive and still be a Power 5 conference with all of the credibility attached thereof .
I don't know if all of those 4 proposed teams replaces OU, that was the only respect the Big 12 was getting.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I don't know if all of those 4 proposed teams replaces OU, that was the only respect the Big 12 was getting.
It doesn’t have to replace them to maintain the conferences power 5 status and automatic bid in extended college playoffs. Beyond that not really concerned about the respect OU had.

Regardless , Im ready to move on and I’m looking forward to the proposed schools coming in and returning to 12 teams. I think we’ll be fine .

I think a lot of fans thought the conference would dismantle and splinter off without the big dogs . Im impressed in how quickly they have regrouped and responded.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Big 12 w/ Texas & Oklahoma 20-21
Tier 1-2 $26.0*
Tier 3 (ESPN+) $4.0
Tier 3 (Sponsorships, radio, etc.) $11.0
Big 12 Championship ($20mm) $2.0
Sugar Bowl ($30mm) $3.0**
NCAA Championship (17-21) $1.2
TOTAL 47.2

Big 12 w/ BYU, UC, UCF & UH
Tier 1-2 $22.0*
Tier 3 (ESPN+) $4.0
Tier 3 (Sponsorships, radio, etc.) $11.0
Big 12 Championship ($20mm) $1.67
Sugar Bowl ($30mm) $2.5**
NCAA Championship (17-21) $1.2
TOTAL $42.4

Amazing less than 5 million per team a year after losing Tx and Ou.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Not Done at Four?
While the Big 12 currently appears to be set on four programs as the situation stands now, a final decision on the total number of programs the league should add is still fluid.

SicEm365 has learned that there is push from active members of the Big 12 that the final addition total should be six programs and that the league should make the additions immediately.

If the decision is made to add six—with BYU, Cincinnati, UCF and Houston slotted in as the first four additions—Memphis and Boise State look to lead the way as its final two additions. With an eventual departure of both Oklahoma and Texas to the SEC, six new programs added to the league would bring the total membership of the league to 14 with presence in three time zones.

Hardline

Reaction score
The way this Texas Arkansas game is going. Texas doesn't belong in the SEC.