Texas and OU have expressed interest in joining SEC

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Most WVU fans wanted us to be in the ACC anyway.
We have natural rivals from the Big East days.
They have spurned us in the past.
Don't know if they would do it now.
I know it would be better than some other options but I have a deep seated dislike of the ACC and ND.

Ghost12

Reaction score
Also, there are rumblings that Notre Dame (who is already a member in the other sports) might finally join the ACC.
They supposedly liked how it went last year as a football member.
The rumblings I heard were the exact opposite. They have a relatively easy path to the expanded playoffs. No need to be a full member of the conference.

uvaballa

Reaction score
No, not really.

Our WVU, Cowboy fan brother doesn't like it when I say it (and I get why) but they are a horrible fit academically.
The ACC is the highest ranked P5 conference academically....if you average all the programs.

They did look the other way with Louisville though.
I have ECU relatives that used to throw the ACC out there as an option. I hated to break the news that the odds were zero.
Not so with WVU. Lousiville got in. WVU has a ton of old rivals there and has a well-rounded athletic program and rabid fan base.

Look, I have relatives from WV, so I don't want to be snotty. But I do think that's how the ACC admin and ADs will think. Tough hurdle academically, but not impossible
Was just throwing it out there.
Yeah definitely doesn’t fit academically. Also the sports the ACC are best in (basketball, lacrosse, and soccer) WVU isn’t bringing much with that. I do understand the rivalries from the old Big East part.

erod

Reaction score
How did they keep this a secret for more than 6 months with so many teams in the know?

Apparently, Sarkisian and Beard both knew they were headed to the SEC when they were hired.

Meanwhile, A&M was left out of the conversation altogether because they would blab it to everybody. They thought they were letting Arkansas and LSU know when they found out, but they already knew.

As an OU fan, I'm not a big fan of this. It's going to destroy Tech, TCU, Baylor, and Okie State, and I don't like that at all.

OU apparently has a big problem with all the 11 am games because recruits are sleeping at those times. Dumb that the Big 12 kept negotiating those games times. That was a big player in this.

At least Lincoln Riley won't have to deal with it. He'll be coaching the Cowboys soon.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Yeah definitely doesn’t fit academically. Also the sports the ACC are best in (basketball, lacrosse, and soccer) WVU isn’t bringing much with that. I do understand the rivalries from the old Big East part.
Academics would be the hurdle.

West Virginia has a strong basketball history....including recently. Not elite, but very strong.
Their football program would probably be 3rd in attendance in the league.

In hoops, they've been to the NCAA tourney a whopping 12 times since 2005.
Without looking it up, I'm guessing that of the 14 ACC teams, only UNC and Duke have gone to more. I guess maybe Syracuse and Louisville...not sure.

But they've only been to one Final Four in that space (2010) so they are not in the elite category

But overall, no, they are not a great fit.
In fact, if the Big 12 collapses, I think the rapidly rising American Conference would be next in line a better fit.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
SEC has no need to expand beyond where they are, but a package that included Texas might do it.
But if they did, it would be two teams to make it an even 16.

I know they don't need three... was just commenting OK State would want in. Probably Big 10 more likely...

triplets_93

Reaction score
As an OU fan, I'm not a big fan of this. It's going to destroy Tech, TCU, Baylor, and Okie State, and I don't like that at all.

As a Texas supporter, I am all for this, and I have no love lost for Tech and Baylor... Adios !!!

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
The SEC will soon be in direct competition with the NFL. Read the tea leaves.

Fighting for the same players. The colleges can now pay players whatever amount the want. No cap on college teams. Colleges can keep players beyond 4 playing years if they want. Players cut from the NFL can go back to college and play.

Fighting for the same viewers. Fans can only watch a fixed amount of football. Sat and Sun are the big draws. Right now, the NFL has Sun and the SEC has Sat. The SEC now has too many marquee matches and only 2 spotlight games on Sat, one in the afternoon and one at night, won’t cut it. The SEC will have to play games on Sun. Few people have the time or desire to watch football all day Sat and all day Sun.

Right now, I would say college football is more popular in FL and on the West Coast than the NFL. Tebow could have played 15 years at Florida. Florida would have gladly paid Tebow more than what the NFL paid.

The NFL will have to start signing the 17-18 year-old players to futures contracts.

DFWJC

Reaction score
The SEC will soon be in direct competition with the NFL. Read the tea leaves.

Fighting for the same players. The colleges can now pay players whatever amount the want. No cap on college teams. Colleges can keep players beyond 4 playing years if they want. Players cut from the NFL can go back to college and play.

Fighting for the same viewers. Fans can only watch a fixed amount of football. Sat and Sun are the big draws. Right now, the NFL has Sun and the SEC has Sat. The SEC now has too many marquee matches and only 2 spotlight games on Sat, one in the afternoon and one at night, won’t cut it. The SEC will have to play games on Sun. Few people have the time or desire to watch football all day Sat and all day Sun.

Right now, I would say college football is more popular in FL and on the West Coast than the NFL. Tebow could have played 15 years at Florida. Florida would have gladly paid Tebow more than what the NFL paid.

The NFL will have to start signing the 17-18 year-old players to futures contracts.
College players have 4 years of eligibility as actual players…so excluding redshirt
They can petition for a fifth due to injury or illness

Thats it

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
College players have 4 years of eligibility as actual players…so excluding redshirt
They can petition for a fifth due to injury or illness

Thats it

That was it. What will it be in the future. College athletes are now paid professionals, in case you hadn’t heard. The NCAA as an organization has lost all authority to regulate pay for college athletes. The same thing that happened with pay will happen with years eligibility.

DFWJC

Reaction score
That was it. What will it be in the future. College athletes are now paid professionals, in case you hadn’t heard. The NCAA as an organization has lost all authority to regulate pay for college athletes. The same thing that happened with pay will happen with years eligibility.
If you are saying that college scholarships go away....

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
If you are saying that college scholarships go away....

Alabama’s freshman QB is approaching 7 figures already and he hasn’t played a down. Do you think he cares about a scholarship? How does a school justify giving a scholarship to a person making a million dollars?

The kids who aren’t getting money will need the scholarships.

It is going to get real weird.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Alabama’s freshman QB is approaching 7 figures already and he hasn’t played a down. Do you think he cares about a scholarship? How does a school justify giving a scholarship to a person making a million dollars?

The kids who aren’t getting money will need the scholarships.

It is going to get real weird.
Can't have it both ways.
There will always be a time limit on eligibility

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Can't have it both ways.
There will always be a time limit on eligibility

They are now professional athletes. Which professional athletes have a time limit on eligibility?

I doubt any court will accept an age limit or time eligibility limit for any paid professional. And that includes professional football players at a college.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
This is short-sighted and just really bad for College football.
Making one conference so much more powerful than the rest is super league crap that is nauseating.

But we shall see what the state legislatures in Texas and Oklahoma say.
That's been the largest stumbling block thus far.
But if UT and OU have been putting in work for 6 months on this perhaps they have it figured out.

When they tried this with Euro soccer the blowback was swift and merciless.
Quite possible we will see the same here.

DFWJC

Reaction score
They are now professional athletes. Which professional athletes have a time limit on eligibility?

I doubt any court will accept an age limit or time eligibility limit for any paid professional. And that includes professional football players at a college.
Look
You are so far off base here...I mean totally off base as far as eligibility in college sports....that let's just agree to stop.

Now, if you want to say colleges can now sponsor semi-pro teams named Alabama, Auburn, etc....and that the players do not need to attend class and will not receive any form of scholarship and are not part of the university.....they yes, maybe eligibility limits would go away.

Or maybe if they just do that for football and basketball.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
FWIW if this comes to pass I expect something like this:

4 -16 team conferences.
SEC adds UT/OU
B1G adds Kansas and (perhaps)Kansas State
ACC adds WVA and Notre Dame
PAC adds 4 teams: Tech/OKST/Boise State/Iowa State --they do not want religious institutions.

This would be rough on Baylor/TCU but they'd go AAC and compete yearly for the CFP as G5's top team in all likelihood.