Texas and OU have expressed interest in joining SEC

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Look
You are so far off base here...I mean totally off base as far as eligibility in college sports....that let's just agree to stop.

Now, if you want to say colleges can now sponsor semi-pro teams named Alabama, Auburn, etc....and that the players do not need to attend class and will not receive any form of scholarship and are not part of the university.....they yes, maybe eligibility limits would go away.

Or maybe if they just do that for football and basketball.
Players will always have to attend and maintain eligibility even if it is just token stuff.
Players can get 6 or 7 years eligibility but only though injury or hardship waivers.

Paying players isn't really an issue.
Never has been.
College athletes are seldom worth real money and in those few cases where they are it is often discovered after they make an impact when they are staring at the NFL.

Problem has always been having enough meaningful games to draw eyeballs.

Ghost12

Reaction score
The SEC will soon be in direct competition with the NFL. Read the tea leaves.

Fighting for the same players. The colleges can now pay players whatever amount the want. No cap on college teams. Colleges can keep players beyond 4 playing years if they want. Players cut from the NFL can go back to college and play.
whuh whuh huh whuh what??? Where the heck are you hearing *any* of the above??

EDIT: after reading a couple more posts, I see that all of the above is little more than a prediction with no basis in anything substantial.

DFWJC

Reaction score
FWIW if this comes to pass I expect something like this:

4 -16 team conferences.
SEC adds UT/OU
B1G adds Kansas and (perhaps)Kansas State
ACC adds WVA and Notre Dame
PAC adds 4 teams: Tech/OKST/Boise State/Iowa State --they do not want religious institutions.

This would be rough on Baylor/TCU but they'd go AAC and compete yearly for the CFP as G5's top team in all likelihood.
Nice (and possible) outline.

P5 would go away. And really, so would "G5".

The top 6 ranked conference winners would get automatic bids regardless of what league they are in

Of course, those 4 conferences you listed (and to a lesser degree, the AAC) would have more money because they'll have bigger TV deals.
But they won't get automatic entry into anything just by being in a conference.

The 12 team tourney at large bids would be full of teams from those 4 leagues but other leagues could not say they have no access.

Last edited:

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
whuh whuh huh whuh what??? Where the heck are you hearing *any* of the above??

Reading the tea leaves. 2nd and 3rd order effects.

Fact: Players can be paid now, specifically citing endorsements for NIL - Name, Image, and Likeness. Pay as a salary was not specifically ruled but the court pretty much said basically there is no reason why they can't get a salary. Supreme Court ruled on it.
Fact: College athletes are now professionals.
Fact: NCAA does not know how to deal with this since the courts just ruled on it a month ago. NCAA admits they have no teeth to enforce any pay to an athlete or any time eligibility requirement. Blazing new trails here.
Fact: Saban is already telling recruits his freshman QB just got close to 7 figures (who knows from where?) before even playing a down. College coaches are recruiting players with money right now.
Fact: There is no cap on how much money a college athlete can receive from endorsements, salary, colleges, etc.

Ghost12

Reaction score
Reading the tea leaves. 2nd and 3rd order effects.

Fact: Players can be paid now, specifically citing endorsements for NIL - Name, Image, and Likeness. Pay as a salary was not specifically ruled but the court pretty much said basically there is no reason why they can't get a salary. Supreme Court ruled on it.
Fact: College athletes are now professionals.
Fact: NCAA does not know how to deal with this since the courts just ruled on it a month ago. NCAA admits they have no teeth to enforce any pay to an athlete or any time eligibility requirement. Blazing new trails here.
Fact: Saban is already telling recruits his freshman QB just got close to 7 figures (who knows from where?) before even playing a down. College coaches are recruiting players with money right now.
Fact: There is no cap on how much money a college athlete can receive from endorsements, salary, colleges, etc.
Fact: Nothing you've said above even remotely implies there will be any change to eligibility whether we look at it in years-of-eligibility or the silly notion that a guy can play in the NFL, get cut, and go back and play in college.

Ghost12

Reaction score

The top 6 ranked conference winners would get automatic bids regardless of what league they are in

Of course, those 4 conferences you listed (and to a lesser degree, the AAC) would have more money because they'll have bigger TV deals.

The 12 team tourney at large bids would be full of teams from those 4 leagues but other leagues could not say they have no access.
I think the Big 12 survives by cannibalizing the AAC. Memphis, Cincy, UCF are all respectable programs.... SMU would make sense...

Seems to me most years your top 6 conference champs will come from SEC, Big 10, ACC, Pac-16 (yeah I said it), Big 12 and Mountain West. Then, if polling stays the way it always has been, your top 6 "at-large" teams after that will be Notre Dame plus 5 SEC schools. (ok that last past was a joke.... or was it?)

Ghost12

Reaction score
I can't wait to see how the SEC sets up their divisions with Texas and OU. Do they just throw 1 in each division? Major realignment? I like the "pods" idea - although Texas and A&M should definitely be in the same "pod" - though I don't like having 2 rounds of CCG playoffs.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I think the Big 12 survives by cannibalizing the AAC. Memphis, Cincy, UCF are all respectable programs.... SMU would make sense...

Seems to me most years your top 6 conference champs will come from SEC, Big 10, ACC, Pac-16 (yeah I said it), Big 12 and Mountain West. Then, if polling stays the way it always has been, your top 6 "at-large" teams after that will be Notre Dame plus 5 SEC schools. (ok that last past was a joke.... or was it?)
I think AAC is far and away the best non P5 league.
They would’ve been one the 6 autobids all of the last 4-5 years in a row….and ahead of Pac 12 in 2 of last 4.
And they are favored to be that high again this year.

Not just that, but 4 different AAC teams at that vs just one or two.
Cincy, Memphis, UCF, USF…..Houston was even up there further back.

They claim they will the aggressors…or “hunters vs hunted”, but it depends on who else gets picked off from Big 12.

If the remaining Big 12 holds strong, they might do just what you said

Last edited:

DFWJC

Reaction score
I can't wait to see how the SEC sets up their divisions with Texas and OU. Do they just throw 1 in each division? Major realignment? I like the "pods" idea - although Texas and A&M should definitely be in the same "pod" - though I don't like having 2 rounds of CCG playoffs.
They wont have have 2 rounds of CC playoffs if they also have a 12 team national playoff

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score

DFWJC

Reaction score
You may not see it. It is there. You might not understand courts and law and equal opportunity. The college football world changed radically.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...ge-football-players-to-stay-in-school-longer/
129 D1 Football programs.
They are not all Alabama and Clemson.
The NCAA is not going to compete with the NFL...regardless of benefits.

Sure, College Football will change, but not at the level you seem to think
There will be rules regarding scholarships and length of service.

Ghost12

Reaction score

Ghost12

Reaction score
129 D1 Football programs.
They are not all Alabama and Clemson.
The NCAA is not going to compete with the NFL...regardless of benefits.

Sure, College Football will change, but not at the level you seem to think
There will be rules regarding scholarships and length of service.
The notion is idiotic. I mean, the QB of Alabama - which is the most important player on the most important team - is under $1 million. That's about 4% of Trevor Lawrence's signing bonus.

erod

Reaction score
The NCAA and amateur athletics are basically over.

First, Covid forced schools to keep students home from classrooms last fall. However, football teams reported for training and practiced and sweated all over each other and then played against each other and did the same.

Money ruled.

Then, the supreme Court ruled unanimously against the NCAA and allowed players to get paid for their likenesses.

Money ruled.

Those two things ended college football forever as we knew it.

OU and Texas went where the money is going, which is where the top players are going. This was an obvious decision for two programs with that much clout.

College football is now pro football for elite players and elite programs.

You'll eventually see top guys play 4 years now in college because they can make more money than in the NFL during those years.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

Pretty much exactly what I would see happening.
AAC grows into the major G5 style conf gets an auto bid and then the top ranked school outside those 5 conferences.

It'll be interesting to see how money goes because everything is now global with streaming and app based subscriptions.
Does one conf get ESPN/Disney? Netflix? Another Amazon? Another Hulu?
Which confs start begging a streaming service to broadcast their games for near free?

Longer term does this reduce viewership? I think it is quite possible, especially if the CFP is seen as exclusionary as it is today.
Last year's national championship dropped from a ~15 rating. to about a 10. That's a 33% drop off.
And it was higher than that prior to 2 years ago.

The shift in how TV is watched is effecting all sports and internationally no one cares about college football at all.
While college basketball is growing internationally, not so much for football which is still a 3rd world sport to most of the world.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Not perfect, but I saw this today

224384107_10227105741211729_8001344077487718505_n.jpg

I don't really see the Pac12 taking BYU, but who knows.