Texas Longhorns Recruiting Thread

MC KAos

Reaction score
rkell87;4601811 said:
you are about a week late bro lol

:laugh2:

ya ive been trying to avoid any sort of sports talk/stuff since the spurs lost to the thunder, so i just saw that! crazy! i hope he recommits down the road because i think he was the best player of our recruiting class so far!

Zordon

Reaction score
Yeah RG3's mother confirmed that story. They wanted him to play defense. Also Greg Davis didn't go after Luck even though he wanted to come here b/c they promised Gilbert and his family...NO COMPETITION.

StylisticS

Reaction score
Zordon;4603414 said:
Yeah RG3's mother confirmed that story. They wanted him to play defense. Also Greg Davis didn't go after Luck even though he wanted to come here b/c they promised Gilbert and his family...NO COMPETITION.

Luck wanted to go to Texas? I hope not. I really do. It's believable because they became very lazy in recruiting.

StylisticS

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4603234 said:
I think that in past years, that my have been the way UT recruited. There are a lot of stories like that floating around but with this new coaching staff, that is not how they are recruiting any longer from what I am told.
All one has to do is look at the running back recruitment over the years between Jamal Charles and Macolm Brown and see that it was subpar.

Aikbach

Reaction score
UT will always be at a recruiting advantage over the rest of the state of Texas, in many regards over most of the nation, but their days of monopolizing top recruits seem to have ebbed, at least for a little while.

TCU, Ok. St, Baylor and Tech have and will on occasion take some of those presumptive Longhorns away and let them shine instead of ride the bench.

Zordon

Reaction score
Zordon;4603414 said:
Him and his family (particularly his dad Oliver Luck) really liked UT for the education factor. The architecture school is ranked 2nd in the country behind Harvard which was Luck's major at Stanford. After Greg Davis locked up Gilbert, nobody else mattered. They were all in on him.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Aikbach;4603962 said:
UT will always be at a recruiting advantage over the rest of the state of Texas, in many regards over most of the nation, but their days of monopolizing top recruits seem to have ebbed, at least for a little while.

I dunno, when was the last time they weren't rated among the 5 or 10 best recruiting classes in the nation??

TCU, Ok. St, Baylor and Tech have and will on occasion take some of those presumptive Longhorns away and let them shine instead of ride the bench.

Yeah, some high school players are afraid of having to compete for a job... :D

Aikbach

Reaction score
They have an unquestionable advantage, they just have seen some of those top recruits turn in Garret Gilbert, Case McCoy and Ash, while missing out on better quarterbacks by stubbornly insisting they were athletes and not signal callers.

UT won't be mediocre for any long stretch of time, too dynamic not to shake things up if it doesn't change, but 2010, 2011 and possibly 2012 will be the rough patch of the Mack Brown tenure.

rkell87

Reaction score
HornsNation reported earlier that three-star defensive end Daeshon Hall decommitted from Texas.

rkell87

Reaction score
I know this isn't recruiting news per se but I know TAMU fans here check this thread and didn't think it needs its own thread

Chip Brown ‏@ChipBrownOB
I've been able to confirm that South Carolina AD Eric Hyman, formerly at TCU, is being considered for the AD job at Texas A&M.

rkell87

Reaction score
rkell87;4606096 said:
I know this isn't recruiting news per se but I know TAMU fans here check this thread and didn't think it needs its own thread

Chip Brown ‏@ChipBrownOB
I've been able to confirm that South Carolina AD Eric Hyman, formerly at TCU, is being considered for the AD job at Texas A&M.

Report: South Carolina AD Eric Hyman is the choice to replace Bill Byrne at Texas A&M. http://******/MD5IRm

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
rkell87;4606092 said:
HornsNation reported earlier that three-star defensive end Daeshon Hall decommitted from Texas.

Hall's deal, reportedly, is that his family is on the West Coast, Washington State and that's where he grew up and so he want's to go to Washington or Oregon but then he comes out and lists USC, TAMU, ND and Texas? That is pretty contradicting. May be better to let Hall go and just go after Torrodney Prevot.

rkell87

Reaction score
Daeshon Hall has committed to Washington.

the reason he committed to texas is because his parents were separated, one was staying in texas, the other in washington. Reportedly his parents are reconciled and both will be living in washington so can't really blame the kid

rkell87

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4606711 said:
Hall's deal, reportedly, is that his family is on the West Coast, Washington State and that's where he grew up and so he want's to go to Washington or Oregon but then he comes out and lists USC, TAMU, ND and Texas? That is pretty contradicting. May be better to let Hall go and just go after Torrodney Prevot.

i'm not sold on prevot, at this point we should offer kewan alfred the juco guy who will make an immediate impact and go after the 2014 class which is loaded in both DE talent and DB talent

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
rkell87;4606887 said:
Daeshon Hall has committed to Washington.

the reason he committed to texas is because his parents were separated, one was staying in texas, the other in washington. Reportedly his parents are reconciled and both will be living in washington so can't really blame the kid

30 minutes ago, he announced but earlier this AM, he tweeted on all of these other schools. I'm glad he picked Washington. Had he gone to another school, that might have been real bad.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
rkell87;4606894 said:
i'm not sold on prevot, at this point we should offer kewan alfred the juco guy who will make an immediate impact and go after the 2014 class which is loaded in both DE talent and DB talent

We probably need two DEs in this years class. We could go after Prevot and a Juco.

rkell87

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4606903 said:
We probably need two DEs in this years class. We could go after Prevot and a Juco.

both robinson and raulerson will most likely start out at DE so we should be fine either way. Prevot is only 200 lbs and will most likely need a RS year unless he can put on about 25-30 pounds minimum this year while remaining explosive, we can most likely( with a good year this year) get a stud DE or 2 in '14 seeing as there will be a need in that area and will probably be just as good or better as prevot

hoza scott is who I'm hoping for

rkell87

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4606901 said:
30 minutes ago, he announced but earlier this AM, he tweeted on all of these other schools. I'm glad he picked Washington. Had he gone to another school, that might have been real bad.

there was almost no question that he was picking washington, Tosh Lupoi is one of the best in the business, it was the best fit

Zordon

Reaction score
Not really shocked by Hall. There were rumors about him for months. Same thing about Ashawn Robinson. He's wanted to go out of state since his junior year so I wouldn't be surprised if he's next. We need to get the juco defensive end and possibly pick up anothe dlineman in SEC Country. Texas doesn't produce true defensive ends like they used too. A lot of tweeners in state...example mike mitchell and prevot. I'm not sold on either one. If I had to choose, I'd take Mitchell. Prevot is still only 200 lbs.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
rkell87;4607020 said:
there was almost no question that he was picking washington, Tosh Lupoi is one of the best in the business, it was the best fit

Not arguing this but he did tweet that he was looking at TAMU, ND, SC, Oregon in addition to Washington himself. Question or not, it doesn't make a lot of sense to do that if you know it's going to be Washington.