Texas Rangers 2012 Thread

RastaRocket

Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.
Reaction score
Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan
RT @JeffWilson_FWST: Jon Daniels says #Rangers did not get call to match Angels' offer. Daniels is not pleased with how negotiations ended.
Are you ****ing serious?

Zordon

Reaction score
RastaRocket;4896192 said:
Are you ****ing serious?

cowboyeric8;4896193 said:
According to Daniels they didn't get the chance
wow

not sure if it would have mattered b/c we didn't want to do 5 years but still you'd think he'd at least give us another chance to match.

RastaRocket

Reaction score
Whatever we still got the better farm. I really hope the front office has a plan.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
:lmao2: Hollywood Hamilton. It's obvious he's trying to milk his publicity for all he can get and going to LA is the best move for that, with the movie coming out about his life

RastaRocket

Reaction score
Zordon;4896199 said:
wow

not sure if it would have mattered b/c we didn't want to do 5 years but still you'd think he'd at least give us another chance to match.

I would think we would do 5 years to keep him away from the ANGELS!

Time to ride the Profar era. We need to get Yu some help.

cowboyeric8

Chicks dig crutches
Reaction score
Zordon;4896199 said:
wow

Hamilton has become a tool. I hope you fails on the baseball field. Not off it (just wanted to clarify).

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
RastaRocket;4896205 said:
I would think we would do 5 years to keep him away from the ANGELS!

Jon Daniels can rest easy knowing he didn't give Hamilton too many years as he's watching Craig Gentry hit .720 OPS for 500 ABs.

The Rangers/Daniels have had plenty of opportunity to lock up Hamilton, but Daniels made it abundantly clear that he wasn't a priority and he was nothing more than their offseason contingency plan in case other plans fell through.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So the Angels have three guys next year who could potentially hit 40 home runs.

Scary.

cowboyeric8

Chicks dig crutches
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;4896213 said:
Jon Daniels can rest easy knowing he didn't give Hamilton too many years as he's watching Craig Gentry hit .720 OPS for 500 ABs.

The Rangers/Daniels have had plenty of opportunity to lock up Hamilton, but Daniels made it abundantly clear that he wasn't a priority.

I do agree with this and I think the Rangers will be fine. But seriously if it was anybody but the Angels I would feel a lot better about it.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
cowboyeric8;4896224 said:
I do agree with this and I think the Rangers will be fine. But seriously if it was anybody but the Angels I would feel a lot better about it.

I understand why Daniels didn't pay market premium for Josh. I also understand why Josh would feel slighted by Daniels and gave an extended middle finger on the way out the door. It's all completely reasonable and understandable. And it sucks. Kinda like the Tyson Chandler situation with the Mavs.

MegaMagick

Reaction score
I wonder what is going on with the rangers as an organization, what is our rotation going to look like? What is our lineup going to look like?

This is very mavs like offseason, i'm hearing that our hands have been in every pot(Greinke, Upton, Hamilton, etc) but we're coming up with nothing?

I don't think you can ignore the angels when they have Trout, Pujols, and now Hamilton in their lineup and their rotation is still pretty good with Weaver at the head.

MegaMagick

Reaction score
I just thought it was obvious that after the Dodgers made a move at Greinke, that the angels were going to try and make a big splash.

I mean it's just big boy, big market baseball. Right after we lost out on Greinke we should've went hard to sign Hamilton to a long term deal, but we didn't so now what?

I don't even think getting a guy like upton along would put us on par with what the Angels could potentially be, it's just a very bad offseason from where i'm sitting.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
As far as Hamilton giving the Rangers a chance to match the offer....

I wonder how many times in sports a team approaches a free agent and says.... "Look, we're not interested in getting into a bidding war with other teams here only to be left at the alter. We're not interested in feeding the rumor mill and dragging this out on the pubic stage for weeks. We'll give you the basic parameters of what our best offer is and what we're prepared to spend. You can either take it or walk away". I'm guessing it happens quite a bit. In which case, Daniels was either naive to believe that he was obligated a chance to match, or this is just what he's spinning to fans because he didn't want to invest that much in Hamilton.

RastaRocket

Reaction score
cowboyeric8;4896224 said:

definitely

FloridaRob

Reaction score
Met fan here and I know there has been a lot of speculation about the Rangers and Mets getting together with a trade. While Dickey is 38, I can tell you he has been as good as it gets as a pitcher the last three years and culminating with his Cy Young last year. The Mets are being Stupid in negotiations with him. This guy is well worth 10 million dollars this year but only have to pay him five. And they are not offering anything over 10 million a year for a two year extension. Horrible managment by the Mets but most Met fans figure the owners are broke after the Madoff scandal and while they act like they want to resign him they are offering him a contract he can easily refuse. Good for Dickey.

If a trade comes to pass I would prefer a deal with Toronto if they make one of their catchers available. Not sure how I feel about Ott who most say is the chip TExas is dangling. . They have no need for hte guy unless they can flip him somewhere else. The Mets have enough slugs in the outfield that hit the long ball but cant catch a fly ball unless it is hit directly at them.

Dickey would be a great pitcher for anyone for the next three years. I am hopng the Mets wake up and pay him because there is not a "can't miss" prospect out there and with Dickey you know you are getting a guy who most games is going to match the other teams Ace inning by inning.

Even if Daniels was to offer one of his young infielders I know I would still prefer to keep Dickey. And if Daniels is not giving one of them up for Upton who to me is just an ok outfielder then he is not giving them up for a 38 year old knuckleballer. People like to say yea but Dickey is no Sabathia or Halladay I can tell you that whenever he takes the mound he is just as effective.

Anyway, unless the Mets managment wakes up it looks like Dickey is going to be dealt. Hope it is with Toronto but if it is for Ott, I guess he will fit right in wtih the other slow footed outfielders the Mets have that occassionaly connect for the long ball.