Texas Rangers 2012 Thread

RastaRocket

Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.
Reaction score
Garland powerplay;4889396 said:
Yes its a big deal when you lose starters and dont replace them. Also losing a guy that has been an MVP.

Your right welcome to mediocrity enjoy....

Young was a utility guy last year that was basically used to rest starters. Napoli got $39 mil for 3 years, which he isn't worth (.227 BA last season). Soto is better catching than Napoli is. We have plenty of young talent in the farm (one of the best in baseball), it's time to move on and get younger where we can. I'm really not that worried about losing them. I think Daniels made some good decisions, as well as not signing Greinke for bookoo bucks.

Napoli will get his homers in Fenway because he pulls the ball every time.

durrrr

Reaction score
Garland powerplay;4889340 said:
why is that ridiculous?

The Rangers are one of the best organizations in baseball, talking about a return to the dark ages is absolutely absurd. None of the players you're talking about are "franchise" players.

It's sad seeing Michael Young go, but it needed to happen. Michael Young was terrible last season, one of the worst everyday players in the majors. I'm amazed they were able to trade him at all; that they were able to get a viable bullpen arm in return is impressive.

I think I would've preferred to keep Napoli, especially given the market for catchers, and I think the Rangers definitely made a mistake in not at least making a qualifying offer.

And where do I even begin with Josh Hamilton? Incredibly talented, with an incredibly poor approach to the game. He goes all-out defensively, and I can appreciate that, but he doesn't belong in CF. He's on the wrong side of 30 with an impressive injury history. I went into this past season fully expecting to let him walk this offseason, and he damn near changed my mind after the first month+. But then he reminded me why I was prepared to let him walk with a two-month stretch of truly pathetic baseball. He swung at everything and never made any effort to adjust his approach.

Ultimately, I'm fine with bringing Hamilton back on a 3-year deal, and I can probably tolerate a 4-year deal. He's capable of looking like an MVP, but he'll drive you crazy, too. We'll see what happens, but, again, to suggest that the Rangers are about to fall off a cliff back into the darkness is ridiculous. We have quality players, a quality farm system (one of the very best in baseball), and money.

Garland powerplay

Reaction score
So name one player that replaces any of those players? Theres a ton of reasons for them to stay. Napoli had a down year offensively and yeah you dont wanna match Boston offer. Still have no replacer for world series starter experience.
The players that brought them the world series !! replace w/ unproven rookies?

OK -if signing Hambone for 3 years will make the loss of Young and Napoli easier.
Still not signing anyone does nothing for this team . Losing Hamilton the best player in your organization as well as the entire league ,well only makes you worse and the decline begins. Sign players around the same caliber then yeah but that hasn't happened.

How can losing a player w/ MVP skills be a good thing?// Also Michael Young w/ 7 all star yrs and can play any position. No one can match experience or ability toplay all positions. Didnt mention clubhouse intangibles.

destiny for cellar dweller

durrrr

Reaction score
Garland powerplay;4889521 said:
So name one player that replaces any of those players? Theres a ton of reasons for them to stay. Napoli had a down year offensively and yeah you dont wanna match Boston offer. Still have no replacer for world series starter experience.
The players that brought them the world series !! replace w/ unproven rookies?

OK -if signing Hambone for 3 years will make the loss of Young and Napoli easier.
Still not signing anyone does nothing for this team . Losing Hamilton the best player in your organization as well as the entire league ,well only makes you worse and the decline begins. Sign players around the same caliber then yeah but that hasn't happened.

How can losing a player w/ MVP skills be a good thing?//

destiny for cellar dweller

Hamilton is neither of those things.

And there is still a ton of time between now and the start of the season. And there is a ton of time between the start of the season and the trade deadline. Basically, there's a ton of time for this team to improve in ways that you can't conceive.

Helping a team get to the World Series doesn't mean you should stay with that team forever and ever. At some point, it's time to move on. Michael Young's production from 2012 is easy to replace.

It's pathetic that you think this team is destined to be a cellar dweller when they have a smart front office, a solid major league roster (with moves coming to improve it), a deep farm system, and a willingness to spend money. The only real weakness I see with this organization currently is the manager.

durrrr

Reaction score
Garland powerplay;4889521 said:
Also Michael Young w/ 7 all star yrs and can play any position. No one can match experience or ability toplay all positions. Didnt mention clubhouse intangibles.

He can't play any position well, or even decently. He has no business playing in the field. And sure, he used to be an all star caliber player. He's not anymore. He's not even close.

Garland powerplay

Reaction score
yeah I have faith in Rangers to do right thing. Did Josh Hamilton win an MVP or was runner up? If these players arent replaced we will be remembering the glory years.
Judging by the record, players do well for Wash for whatever reason. He brought Rangers to WS for first time in history. No manager in Rangers history can match his production. Track record speaks for itself. All mgr decisions could be questioned and the late season collapse was terrible.

Still should stick w/ players that got you where you never been. They are still good players and the hand in your deck is weak if no replacer.
Inaction would put Rangers in middle of the pack.

RastaRocket

Reaction score
durrrr;4889517 said:
Ultimately, if we offer Elvis, it should get done (I would think). But the front office is pretty set against that, as far as I can tell.

Good, I want Andrus and Profar to run the middle of our infield.

RastaRocket

Reaction score
durrrr;4889533 said:
He can't play any position well, or even decently. He has no business playing in the field. And sure, he used to be an all star caliber player. He's not anymore. He's not even close.

Michael is a serviceable fielder.

RastaRocket

Reaction score
Garland powerplay;4889546 said:
yeah I have faith in Rangers to do right thing. Did Josh Hamilton win an MVP or was runner up? If these players arent replaced we will be remembering the glory years.
Judging by the record, players do well for Wash for whatever reason. He brought Rangers to WS for first time in history. No manager in Rangers history can match his production. Track record speaks for itself. All mgr decisions could be questioned and the late season collapse was terrible.

Still should stick w/ players that got you where you never been. They are still good players and the hand in your deck is weak if no replacer.
Inaction would put Rangers in middle of the pack.

Hamilton did win an MVP, but Beltre is our best player at the moment. When Hamilton is injured, this team still wins.

I disagree with the point about sticking with the players that got you here. Sure, it's good to keep certain players but not all. Sometimes you need to get younger. You stay on top for a sustained period of time by re-energizing your roster with new looks. This team had it's run, and they were great. Now it's time to move on from some of them and add a spark. They were not the same last year. We don't want to become the Phillies.

MegaMagick

Reaction score
It's always bad when all the experts are predicting your team to dominate the offseason.

Say hello to 38 yr old Knuckleballer RA Dickey?

RastaRocket

Reaction score
MegaMagick;4889905 said:
It's always bad when all the experts are predicting your team to dominate the offseason.

Say hello to 38 yr old Knuckleballer RA Dickey?

I don't think we are that stupid. I'd rather roll out there with Perez.

I'll take Dickey if it's like 1 yr / .5 mil haha

Garland powerplay

Reaction score
Hamilton lead the team in RBI s by far. he is an elite player in the field and @ the plate.Young had 7 all stars . Napoli was the postseason MVP.
If you think losing these players is no big deal you know nothing about baseball or are a Mariners fan...

RastaRocket

Reaction score
Garland powerplay;4892019 said:
Hamilton lead the team in RBI s by far. he is an elite player in the field and @ the plate.Young had 7 all stars . Napoli was the postseason MVP.
If you think losing these players is no big deal you know nothing about baseball or are a Mariners fan...

Napoli had one good season and that's it, he's the easiest player to deal with leaving. We all realize Young has been an incredible player for this franchise and will go down as one of the best Rangers in history; however he is not the 7-time all-star Young anymore and both sides get to move on to greener pastures. As for Hamilton, he's an incredible player no denying that. Beltre was the better and more consistent player though last season. This team can win ball games in a variety of ways even without Josh. Josh would be great to have but by no means are we bad with out him.

RastaRocket

Reaction score
:facepalm:

The absolute last thing I expected. What is the number? 5 years is not outrageous.

Zordon

Reaction score
how could we not match that offer? we are being sort of cheap here.