Texas Rangers Thread

Ranzo

Reaction score
DIAF;4044108 said:
So.....anyone getting a little tired of Derek Holland?

Not a tuckered as I am with Michael Young at 3rd- Ole'! Need Beltrae back. Holland is a work-in-progress, and I can see steady strides from last year to date. I think he should be very solid by next season and for yrs to come.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Holland was alright. At least he went 6 innings and didn't fall apart less than 3 innings in like he usually does when he sucks. Granted it was Seattle but still, baby steps for him. He just seems a lot better on the road too, unless it's against the Yankees.

Stautner

Reaction score
DIAF;4044108 said:
So.....anyone getting a little tired of Derek Holland?

You always amaze me. Holland gave up 2 earned runs - not exactly a disaster, and very easily a level that gives us a good chace to win.

Holland has taken a few bumps along the way, but this wasn't one of them. The only real negative was the walks, which has not been a big problem most of the season.

DIAF

DivaLover159
Reaction score
Stautner;4044700 said:
You always amaze me. Holland gave up 2 earned runs - not exactly a disaster, and very easily a level that gives us a good chace to win.

Holland has taken a few bumps along the way, but this wasn't one of them. The only real negative was the walks, which has not been a big problem most of the season.

I posted that in the 3rd inning, but still...

Dude, come on. Holland allowed 12 baserunners in 6 innings. TWELVE. He's been mostly bad for all but 5 brilliant starts this season. Outside of those 5 starts, he's been putting guys on base left and right all year.

Stautner

Reaction score
DIAF;4045006 said:
I posted that in the 3rd inning, but still...

Dude, come on. Holland allowed 12 baserunners in 6 innings. TWELVE. He's been mostly bad for all but 5 brilliant starts this season. Outside of those 5 starts, he's been putting guys on base left and right all year.

In the 3rd inning I can understand the comment. I should have looked at the time it was posted.

As for the baserunners, yes it wasn't Holland's best outing, but good pitchers aren't ones that shut teams down every time (doesn't happen), they are the ones that find a way to have success even when things aren't going as well as hoped. It's not that they never have tough moments, it's that they fight through the tough moments.

Holland still has maturing to do. He is very, very good at times - 3 complete game shut-outs in the last month. But he can hit a brick wall early as well - 2 outings in the last 5 weeks where he didn't get pastthe 2nd inning. For the most part everything between is average to good to sometimes very good. He's just 24, so I don't think it's a worry now.

DIAF

DivaLover159
Reaction score
I wouldnt care if he were just more consistent. A consistently mediocre pitcher is better than a guy that pitches brilliantly one out of every 5 starts and is mediocre or worse in all the others. I know he's only 24 but this is his 3rd full season in the Majors now, and he seems to be stuck in a rut.

Stautner

Reaction score
DIAF;4045163 said:
I wouldnt care if he were just more consistent. A consistently mediocre pitcher is better than a guy that pitches brilliantly one out of every 5 starts and is mediocre or worse in all the others. I know he's only 24 but this is his 3rd full season in the Majors now, and he seems to be stuck in a rut.

I don't see Holland quite that way. He is inconsistent, no question, but he puts us in a position to win at least 3 out of every 4 times out - probably even better than that. It's not boom or bust, it's typically very solid with ocassional moments of greatness and ocassion moments of utter failure. I suspect he will eventually get where his poor outings aren't the disaster he has had 3-4 times this year, and if that happens he will be fine. An ocassional game where he pitches 5 innings and gives up 6 runs is going to happen, and that isn't a problem, he just needs to eliminate the ocassonal sub-2 inning game where he gives up 5-6 runs.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Great pitching duel right now. Lewis has only given up one hit on the first hitter of the game and Cahill's got a no-hitter through 5. I don't know if we'll get one on him, we haven't even come close so far

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Matt Harrison fell apart badly. Up 6-0 and blowing it like that :bang2:

cowboyeric8

Chicks dig crutches
Reaction score
TheCoolFan;4049981 said:

Yes sir, it wasn't pretty. Oliver didn't help matters. Thankfully Murphy gets a clutch hit in the ninth to take the lead 7-6 and Feliz was able to close.

StylisticS

Reaction score
Now the schedule gets a bit rough starting tomorrow.
4 at LAA
3 at chicago
4 vs Boston
3 vs LAA
3 vs Tampa Bay
3 at Boston
3 at Tampa Bay

That's our next 23 games.

What are your realistic expectations for these next three weeks.
BTW, here is LAA over the same tike period
4 vs Texas
3 vs Baltimore
2 vs Chicago
3 at Texas
4 at Seattle
3 vs Minnesota
3 vs Seattle
3 vs NYY

Mrdude108

Corleone
Reaction score
I feel pretty good about our chances in the next few weeks, they have been playing well, our bullpen is so much better. Our offense is putting up points.

As long as we take the Angels series, we can tie with LA with the other games. It is vital we take care of the Angels, these h2h games are...well...vital.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
TheCoolFan;4049981 said:

Can't blame that all on Harrison. That two run error by Kinsler was the cog that started that collapse. Not to mention Oliver was absolutely hideous as he gave up everything else. Harrison had only two earned runs when he left. (2 earned, 2 unearned) Oliver allowed the rest to score.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Nice start. Garrett Richards is out before finishing the 1st inning with an injury. Great chance to light up the Angels' mediocre bullpen tonight and try to wear them out for this series.

Alweezy

Reaction score
Agreed .500 ball will get us in the playoffs only because I don't see LA winning 75% of their games down the stretch. They are too inconsistant for that.. BUT what should be of most importance is, we must absolutely take this Angels series.

I mean seriously a good week here in Orange County and the Rangers could be up as much as 8 games. That's a lot of wiggle room with just a little over month to play.

The Angels are like that boxer that's on the ropes. They nearly had us, then got gut punched when we kept gettting walk off wins. Then the NYY and TOR series devestated them. Now is the time to finish them off. This is a series we could all look back on come September as a make or break.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
iOS-5.png
games_games_games_t_shirt-p235439720769756498y7ij_400.jpg
arrow_blue_up.png

cowboyeric8

Chicks dig crutches
Reaction score
Young's bat is on fire. But Beltre needs to get healthy quick, Young at 3rd is getting to be scary. What happened? He didn't seem this limited last year.

cowboyeric8

Chicks dig crutches
Reaction score
The Rangers take another one from the Angels getting a 6 game lead. Holland looked great tonight.