Texas Rangers Thread

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Wow can't believe Adams let that happen. Giving up homers has been rare for him. Wasted effort by Colby...he pitched better than Weaver tonight

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
TheCoolFan;4055709 said:
Wow can't believe Adams let that happen. Giving up homers has been rare for him. Wasted effort by Colby...he pitched better than Weaver tonight

I believe both of our bullpen acquisition have now given up two home runs each. Quite depressing considering not giving up runs was a major reason we got them. Both Adams and Uehara's ERAs are almost triple in Texas what they were with their original teams. (I believe they've given up more or as many HRs than any other reliever in the same time period, but don't hold me to that.)

Adams: 3.24 vs 1.13
Uehara: 3.52 vs 1.72

Adams WHIP (1.56 vs .73) and BAA (.286 vs .155) have almost doubled since coming over also.

Stautner

Reaction score
I didn't last the whole game last night - went to bed with a 1 run lead and hoped for the best. When I saw the score this morning i assumed it was Feliz that blew it. This is a disappointment, but things happen and we won 3 out of 4 against our closest competition for the division title, so we should be happy.

DFWJC

Reaction score
TheCoolFan;4055709 said:
Gut-wrenching way to lose. We've had an unusual number of those this year.

Still, I'll take leaving LA with a 6 game lead.

Go Rangers.

Robbieac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Can somebody explain to me why we didn't leave Lowe in for the 9th inning? He pitched an absolute brilliant 8th. I had a feeling something bad was going to happen when we didn't let him finish the game...

Stautner

Reaction score
Robbieac;4056325 said:
Can somebody explain to me why we didn't leave Lowe in for the 9th inning? He pitched an absolute brilliant 8th. I had a feeling something bad was going to happen when we didn't let him finish the game...

Because it has been predetermined that wasn't his role. Every team does it. If we had a 3-4 run lead he may have been left in, but Feliz is the closer, and if he is deemed to need a day off Adams is next. Those are supposed to be the guys the team feels most comfortable with in the 9th inning.

Robbieac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Stautner;4056492 said:
Because it has been predetermined that wasn't his role. Every team does it. If we had a 3-4 run lead he may have been left in, but Feliz is the closer, and if he is deemed to need a day off Adams is next. Those are supposed to be the guys the team feels most comfortable with in the 9th inning.

Thanks for the reply. That's what I thought the reason probably was. I guess that's pretty standard league wide. In most cases, it's probably the best/right thing to do, but IMO taking out a guy who is red hot just because that's what is predetermined screams a poor coaching decision. I still like Ron Washington though, and we took 3 out of 4 in their house so I'll get over it I guess. :)

Stautner

Reaction score
Robbieac;4056627 said:
Thanks for the reply. That's what I thought the reason probably was. I guess that's pretty standard league wide. In most cases, it's probably the best/right thing to do, but IMO taking out a guy who is red hot just because that's what is predetermined screams a poor coaching decision. I still like Ron Washington though, and we took 3 out of 4 in their house so I'll get over it I guess. :)

I understand what you are saying. I sometime get peeved when managers take the starter out for the same reason. If the starter has already thrown 110 pitches that's one thing, but if he has thrown 90 pitches and beeing highly effective managers will still go to their closer in some cases.

I don't blame the Rangers in this case. I understand your point, and it's certainly a reasonable point, but they groom people to be closers and setup men, and groom them to feel most comfortable in those situations. And they do it based on their best knowledge of the individual players in the mix. Just as the team knows that CJ Wilson is going to have a quality outing more consistently than some Holland, the team also knows that Feliz or Adams are more likely to have a consistently strong 9th inning than Lowe. It's playing the odds based on the information gathered over time, and sometimes it just doesn't work out.

Ranzo

Reaction score
Stautner;4056492 said:
Because it has been predetermined that wasn't his role. Every team does it.

Exactly correct. I hate this about baseball. A sleepy guy with one eye open approaching midnight could see Lowe was on fire and the smart money was on him continuing on in the 9th as he left the 8th, and with the Rangers leaving Anaheim on their baseball brooms. :bang2:

DIAF

DivaLover159
Reaction score
I am starting to get real worried about this rotation's prospects in the playoffs, especially in a short series. :x

cowboyeric8

Chicks dig crutches
Reaction score
DIAF;4056873 said:
I am starting to get real worried about this rotation's prospects in the playoffs, especially in a short series. :x

I agree with you. Unless our bats are hot I don't think we can last long. This rotation is good for right now, but nobody is dominating and that is what you need in the playoffs.

Robbieac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
We pretty much let the Sox win this one before it even started. I understand rotating days off for starters, but what do you expect when you start 3 back ups in Quintanilla, Teagarden, and Gentry all at the same time? I have nothing against those guys as individual players, but they don't inspire much hope when they are all playing major roles in the same game....

Ranzo

Reaction score
After a long (successful) road trip they have to come back to hell's kitchen and face Boston, LAA, and Rays. I think they mailed it in today. 12-7 in August isn't bad playing teh vast majority on the road. Wish they hadn't blown that last Angels game, though.

My biggest concern is the relief pitchers we just acquired. Time to get it together, and I think they will if I had to guess.

DIAF

DivaLover159
Reaction score
Ranzo;4058791 said:
After a long (successful) road trip they have to come back to hell's kitchen and face Boston, LAA, and Rays. I think they mailed it in today. 12-7 in August isn't bad playing teh vast majority on the road. Wish they hadn't blown that last Angels game, though.

My biggest concern is the relief pitchers we just acquired. Time to get it together, and I think they will if I had to guess.

You are worried with THEM? And not the rotation? D:

Ranzo

Reaction score
DIAF;4058847 said:
You are worried with THEM? And not the rotation? D:

Well, yeah. I expected them to shut people down period.

Holland might not be as reliable as I'd like but overall they get the job done for this offense. You have to have middle and late relief guys shut ppl down, and they were brought in for that purpose and so far, not as advertised.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Typical Holland. He'll be lights out next time, then get lit up after that, then put in one decent start and then repeat the cycle. We're in for a tight race though...Trumbo or whatever his name is for the Angels definitely saved their season on that HR. Huge difference between 8 games and 6 games. Still think we're going to the last week and last series of the season vs. LAA to decide the West.

cowboyeric8

Chicks dig crutches
Reaction score
Anybody of any streaming websites that might have the Rangers games. I'm really wanting to watch tonight. I recently moved to Huntsville, and all I get is Astros games, which is the worst!