Texas Rangers Thread

Stautner

Reaction score
By the way DAIF, do you remember how the Rangers won last year? They had a huge June, but the rest of the season played only slightly better than .500 baseball. They weren't dominating the competition in August and September last year, they were coasting on the success of a month in early Summer and the fact the Angels never got it together to make a serious run.

If what you are keying on this year is that we don't have as big a lead now as we did at this point last year, what you have to understand is the reason is that the Angels are more competative this year, not that we aren't playing as well.

We actually had a losing month in August last year. We had a winning month this August.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Stautner;4088772 said:
By the way DAIF, do you remember how the Rangers won last year? They had a huge June, but the rest of the season played only slightly better than .500 baseball. They weren't dominating the competition in August and September last year, they were coasting on the success of a month in early Summer and the fact the Angels never got it together to make a serious run.

If what you are keying on this year is that we don't have as big a lead now as we did at this point last year, what you have to understand is the reason is that the Angels are more competative this year, not that we aren't playing as well.

We actually had a losing month in August last year. We had a winning month this August.

Again. It is the way Jeter said. The good teams make the playoffs. The hottest team wins the World Series. The Rangers don't have to be the hottest team right now. They just have to make the playoffs. Once the playoffs start, it's anyones game.

Ranzo

Reaction score
Stautner;4088772 said:

I think the Rangers make the playoffs but we know that in the playoffs it is all about pitching. Recall that it was Lee who propelled the team last yr in the playoffs right up until the WS. Also, the supporting cast of starters were superb. We don't have an ace the caliber of Lee now, with no slight towards CJ, and overall the rotation is now faltering. I didn't see this weeks ago but things have changed. Enough time left that matters can change again for the better. Do not discount the TX heat and its toll on them this yr-- it has drained us all. Well, maybe they can clinch early enough to rest some guys.

Stautner

Reaction score
Sam I Am;4088858 said:
Again. It is the way Jeter said. The good teams make the playoffs. The hottest team wins the World Series. The Rangers don't have to be the hottest team right now. They just have to make the playoffs. Once the playoffs start, it's anyones game.

Absolutely. This has been proven time and time again.

Ranzo;4088925 said:
I think the Rangers make the playoffs but we know that in the playoffs it is all about pitching. Recall that it was Lee who propelled the team last yr in the playoffs right up until the WS. Also, the supporting cast of starters were superb. We don't have an ace the caliber of Lee now, with no slight towards CJ, and overall the rotation is now faltering. I didn't see this weeks ago but things have changed. Enough time left that matters can change again for the better. Do not discount the TX heat and its toll on them this yr-- it has drained us all. Well, maybe they can clinch early enough to rest some guys.

These are concerns without question. I'm concerned myself with 3 of our starting pitchers throwing more innings this year than they are used to, and the recent weaker performances by a few of them support that concern.

But things still have to play out. With a little added rest Harrison came out and threw a great game against Boston, and a little added rest may benefit Ogando as well. Holland is still a little hot and cold, but he can be very good at times, just as he was last time out.

If we can get to the playoffs we wont need a 5 man rotation anymore, and that can help.

Ranzo

Reaction score
Rangers spanking TB 5-0 in the 3rd. Hamilton with an RBI, his 80th this yr, in the 3rd and hurt on a slide? Back injury? Talking to trainer. Headed to 4th Will see if he's out there.

Alweezy

Reaction score
Ranzo;4088925 said:

If we make the playoffs I think you will see the bullpen that was put together earn it's money. You don't have to have 5 Aces to win a series if you got a good enough staff to pick up the lesser players. Part of the Rangers problem last year is that they became Cliff Lee obsessed, and when he got rocked in game 1 of the WS it was like oh... **** what do we do now?

I also don't think we lost the WS because of pitching. If anything the fact that Juan Uribe and Renteria started playing like HoF infielders on that side of the diamond, and Vlad Guerrero decided to swing at every pitch under the sun did us in way more than the Giants valuted lineup.

That won't be the problem this year. If anything based on your point, it makes it even more impressive that the Rangers are right there in the thick of things with such a rag tag rotation. The lineup alone is capable of 11 wins in October and if a pitcher gets hot for 2 or 3 starts we should be all right...

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Subtract the walks and it was a brilliant game by CJ. Hell even with them. If he could get his walks down he would be in a Lee or Sabathia class. Especially being a lefty.

Murphy and Kinsler are on fire! (See old SNES basketball game that I can't remember the name of)

Ranzo

Reaction score
Alweezy;4090125 said:
If we make the playoffs I think you will see the bullpen that was put together earn it's money. You don't have to have 5 Aces to win a series if you got a good enough staff to pick up the lesser players. Part of the Rangers problem last year is that they became Cliff Lee obsessed, and when he got rocked in game 1 of the WS it was like oh... **** what do we do now?

I also don't think we lost the WS because of pitching. If anything the fact that Juan Uribe and Renteria started playing like HoF infielders on that side of the diamond, and Vlad Guerrero decided to swing at every pitch under the sun did us in way more than the Giants valuted lineup.

That won't be the problem this year. If anything based on your point, it makes it even more impressive that the Rangers are right there in the thick of things with such a rag tag rotation. The lineup alone is capable of 11 wins in October and if a pitcher gets hot for 2 or 3 starts we should be all right...

Actually I didn't express or mean to imply that pitching problems were the culprit in losing the WS. I meant that Lee dominated hitters right up to the WS, then he did not.

And yes, Rangers' bats fell silent vs the Giants, which really sealed their fate. The results show they were over-matched.

cowboyeric8

Chicks dig crutches
Reaction score
Sam I Am;4090161 said:
Subtract the walks and it was a brilliant game by CJ. Hell even with them. If he could get his walks down he would be in a Lee or Sabathia class. Especially being a lefty.

Murphy and Kinsler are on fire! (See old SNES basketball game that I can't remember the name of)

BOOMSHOCKALOCKA!!! Lol, NBA Jam, now that was a fun game. Haha.

Ranzo

Reaction score
Holland on the mound today vs Price. Looks okay but TB 3 Rangers 1 in 5th.

Draegerman

Internet Somebody
Reaction score
Ranzo;4091057 said:
Kinsler with another HR, his 27th. TB 3 Rangers 2

Unbelievable. Kinsler has really broken out with the hot bat lately. I just hope he can keep it up when (and I mean not "if") the Rangers make the post-season.

Draegerman

Internet Somebody
Reaction score
BTW, I hate to be that guy but is anyone else watching this game online? I tried first row and downloaded the software but it keeps telling me that the channel is offline.

Ranzo

Reaction score
Draegerman;4091150 said:
BTW, I hate to be that guy but is anyone else watching this game online? I tried first row and downloaded the software but it keeps telling me that the channel is offline.

Oops. HR by TB. TB 4 Strangers 2

Oh, and watching on DISH in DFW

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Draegerman;4091150 said:

I use MLB.tv. It rocks. :)