Texas Rangers Thread

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Sam I Am;4120309 said:
Magic number now 6.

Rangers are taking care of business.

Both Texas and the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim have pretty weak schedules until the last three games... head to head for the division title, likely...

Hopefully the Rangers can keep that 4 game edge so it doesn't matter...

Alweezy

Reaction score
I have officially moved into concerning myself with us catching Detroit at this point mainly because it's going to take an out of this world choke job for LA to pass us considering who we are playing and the amount of games left.

Now we are only a single game back of Detroit for the second HFA spot. This is crucial considering that the #2 the team will more than likely draw the Boston Red Sox at home, while #3 will have to go up to New York for a 5 game set.

Neither New York or Boston scare me per se... but then again it's New York/Boston in the postseason. Although I think we matchup better vs. the Yankees, we've also played Boston well this season too.

All and all I would feel alot better with 3 games in Texas vs. 3 games in New York. I also think with a team like Boston I'd rather a short ALDS where we could steal a game vs. them and wrap them up in 3, rather than 4 games in the ALCS, although I guess that same reasoning could backfire against us.

Both teams are going to be dificult and unfortunately we're going to have to beat one of them to get to the final dance, the Detroit Verlanders are more of an afterthought, but after seeing what Lee did for us in 2010, I'll respect them because they could be that one team that sneaks into the World Series behind a world class pitching performance..

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Ranzo;4124328 said:
I like playoff baseball. It's as if it's already begun.

This. The last few games of the season are elimination games for the Rangers / Angels. They ARE win or go home type games.

Rangers got their 19th shutout of the season last night. Not only are they extending the Ranger record. It's also the most in all of the Majors.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Watching the Game Cast on the MLB site...

The NFL should take a lesson on the graphics and info on this site. As a long time ago baseball junkie who only watches a couple of teams now, this site is AMAZING...

The NFL site is a take or leave it joke...

Oh... 2-2 m5... the game is MUCH closer than the score implies (I dare ANYONE to get that reference)... ;)

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Man, talk about tanking. The Angels are falling off the table. Good for the Rangers. I just hope they can surpass Detroit in the standings before the season ends. I would love for the Rangers to have home field advantage for the first series.

Ranzo

Reaction score
2. Finish ahead of Detroit: The two teams with the best records get home-field advantage in the first round of the AL playoffs. So the Rangers would have to finish ahead of either the Yankees or the Tigers for them to open the playoffs at the Ballpark in Arlington.

Texas is one game behind Detroit and four behind New York. If the Rangers finish with the same record as either the Yankees or the Tigers, they lose the tiebreaker. Both teams won their season series against Texas.

Right now, the most likely scenario is the Yankees having the best record in the league, with the Wild Card coming out of the AL East. So between the Rangers and the Tigers, the team with the better record would host the Wild Card winner in the first round of the playoffs.

Also, under that scenario, the Rangers would have home-field advantage in the AL Championship Series if they beat the Wild Card team and the Tigers beat the Yankees in the first round. So Texas needs to finish with a better record than at least Detroit.

http://texas.rangers.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110919&content_id=24912204&vkey=news_tex&c_id=tex

Personally I won't sweat losing the seed to Detroit, as it would mean a trip to NYC to play the Yankees *spit*, because I like the match-up. Texas would not have to face Detroit until the ALCS. I don't like that match-up quite so much--Rangers are 3-6 vs Detroit this yr.

Alweezy

Reaction score
Texas will have to travel to New York one way or another.

Texas will host Boston or the wild Card Winner one way or another.

If Texas gets the #2 seed they host the Tigers. If they get the #3 Seed they go to Comerica. That matchup would be in the ALCS one way another.

I'm not sure I want our hitting friendly lineup playing 4 of 7 at Comerica. Maybe it helps the pitching slightly, maybe our bullpen gets some help from the ballpark on mistakes, but it significantly lowers our strength which would be our offense. Over the course of a 7 game series, I'm not sure if I like our offense being brought to a level playing field for 4 of the games.

That's why I'm on Team HFA. All the other scenarios are in place, we hold our destiny with the other. We must win the 2nd seed. Because we're playing a big boy from the AL East first round so regardless of matchups it's going to be a daunting task to win 3.

I'll take game 5 at the BPIA vs. the Red Sox who we've shown earlier this season that we can figure out over game 5 at Yankee Stadium, because that won't be Tropicana Field, that's going to take a great effort to close out.

And that's if the Angels don't win the wildcard... if the Angels win the wildcard, then #2 becomes even more important because then Tigers/Rangers is locked in no matter what we do, and #2 gets HFA. That could be the series right there.

There are a lot of reasons to want the #2 seed, I hope they get it.

Stautner

Reaction score
Ranzo;4126626 said:
http://texas.rangers.mlb.com/news/a...19&content_id=24912204&vkey=news_tex&c_id=tex

Personally I won't sweat losing the seed to Detroit, as it would mean a trip to NYC to play the Yankees *spit*, because I like the match-up. Texas would not have to face Detroit until the ALCS. I don't like that match-up quite so much--Rangers are 3-6 vs Detroit this yr.

I don't think Texas will have to face Detroit until the ALCS in any case. I believe they don't allow 2 teams from the same division to play each other in the first round, so since the wildcard team will be from the East, Texas and Detroit will each have to play a team from the East. Accordingly, getting the higher seed over Detroit is the difference between playing the 1st place team from the East (Yankees) or the Wild Card (Red Sox/Tampa).

If they can get the higher seed over Detroit, then they could host the Wild Card team first round, and if Detroit beats the Yankees they would also get to be the home team in the ALCS.

Stautner

Reaction score
Sorry Alweezy. Just noticed that much of what I posted is a repeat of what you already posted.

Ranzo

Reaction score
LAA 10 Toronto 2 6th.

Little too late for you, Angels. Det down to KC 0-1 4th oddly enough.

Ranzo

Reaction score
Royals have pulled down the Tiger's pants and spanking them 9-1 in the 6th.

StylisticS

Reaction score
So Texas and Detroit are both 89-65. If Texas is the 2 seed, we play Boston or TB. If not, we play New York. But don't count out the Angels for the wildcard. They are only 3.5 back.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
StylisticS;4128176 said:
So Texas and Detroit are both 89-65. If Texas is the 2 seed, we play Boston or TB. If not, we play New York. But don't count out the Angels for the wildcard. They are only 3.5 back.

I would say the way the Angels have been playing, I would doubt it. Then again, Boston last 10 is much worse than the Angels Rays are playing the Yankees. They are both 6-4 in their last 10.

Personally; I don't care who we play, I just would prefer it to be at home.