Texas Rangers Thread

Stautner

Reaction score
DIAF;4149289 said:
Harrison and Ogando did fall back down to earth in the 2nd half. Especially Ogando, his ERA in the 2nd half was something like 4.60 and his k/bb ratio, opponents batting average against, and WHIP soared.

And I did say that I thought we would still win the West, because the Angels weren't good enough to catch this team. I still don't feel good about the playoffs or next season. Hopefully the team can continue to keep mashing its way through into October, but pitching wins in the post-season and the Rangers don't have enough of it. Colby Lewis, Ogando - based on their 2nd half performances you can't really trust them. Heck, Wash is sticking Ogando back in the pen for the playoffs, so I guess we see what he thinks of all this. We have to hope for some gargantuan efforts from CJ and Dutch. Who would have thought that out of Colbyashi, Ogando, and Harrison that Harrison would have been the most dependable out of those three, yikes.

There you go, trying to dispute the facts again. The last time Harrison's era was above 4.00 was mid-May. At the end of May Harrison was 5-4 with a 3.26 era. At the end of June he was 6-7 with a 3.29 era. He ended 14-9 with a 3.39 era. So where was the fall off?

As for Ogando, the imminent crash and burn you talked about in May never happened, and the dropoff he did have occurred 3 months later. We all knew a late season dropoff was possible given that he threw dramatically more innings this year than he ever did as a reliever, and he did gets spotty the last 2 months, but outside of possibly Philly and maybe one or two others, just about every major league team would love to get that kind of production from a bottom of the rotation guy.

Yes, you said the Rangers would probably get to the playoffs, but you said this based on them managing to slide in only because the Angles weren't going to be good enough to compete. Perhaps you missed the fact that the Angels had a better record than in 2010, and in fact were still in contention for the wildcard spot going into the last week of the season. And perhaps you missed that the Rangers had the 2nd best record in the major leagues, finishing 6 games better than last year.

The Rangers record was better this year. Their team stats were better this year. Every starting pitcher had double digit wins, which the Rangers have never done before. The defense is better with Beltre at 3rd. More depth at the plate and in the field than ever. Feliz dropped off a bit, but is still a quality closer.

So what exactly is it that points to failure?

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Playoff roster has been named.

Starting Pitching:
  • Wilson
  • Holland
  • Lewis
  • Harrison

Bullpen:
  • Feldman (Long relief)
  • Ogando
  • Adams
  • Uehara
  • Gonzalez
  • Oliver
  • Feliz

Fielders (normal cast, just naming the extras):
  • German (utility infielder)
  • Young (probably DH + backup Andrus)
  • All three catchers (Treanor instead of an extra reliever)

Washington said he wanted Treanor as a 3rd catcher (instead of a 3rd reliever) as it allows him to be more comfortable if he decides to play both Torrealba and Napoli at the same time (catcher and DH)

Robbieac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Sam I Am;4150850 said:
Bullpen:
  • Feldman (Long relief)
  • Ogando
  • Adams
  • Uehara
  • Gonzalez
  • Oliver
  • Feliz

Hopefully we don't have to rely too much on Oliver. I have absolutely no confidence in his pitching, and I shudder every time he gets the call. :eek:hno:

Rogah

Reaction score
StanleySpadowski;4150095 said:
It's happened several times in MLB history that a pitcher with just a few previous starts has started a playoff game.
Well, I didn't say "just a few" - I said 1 single prior start. :D The guy has a grand total of 9 1/3 innings pitched in his career. If that's ever happened before today, I sure can't say when.
StanleySpadowski;4150095 said:
And don't sleep on Moore. Saw him last week in New York and he has some of the best "stuff" I've seen this year.
I'm not sure mowing down the Yankees' farm club really can establish a guy as a top of the rotation starter. I'm just saying that if the Rays were fully rested, this guy would be their #3 starter at the very best (and possibly not even that high).

The Rangers have just about ever conceivable advantage coming into this game - and that scares the living daylights out of me!!

Rogah

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4150227 said:
I would not say they backed into the playoffs. In September, they won 17 games. They went 8-2 in their last 10 games. That's better then the Yankees who won 16 games in Sept. and 5-5 over the last 10.
The Rays went 6-4 in their final 10 games, which included dropping 3 of 4 against the Yankees in NY before coming back to Tampa and sweeping a 3 game set against the Columbus Clippers to close out the season. They deserve genuine credit for beating out the Red Sox for the WC. But Tampa went 17-10 compared to the Yankees (who was fielding AAA talent just about all month long) going 16-12, the Tigers going 20-6 and the Rangers going 19-6.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
CJ getting owned out there...if bad Holland shows up tomorrow, we're probably in for a sweep. At least this will drive down CJ's price somewhat.

cowboyeric8

Chicks dig crutches
Reaction score
TheCoolFan;4151142 said:
CJ getting owned out there...if bad Holland shows up tomorrow, we're probably in for a sweep. At least this will drive down CJ's price somewhat.

Yeah, but then we still need an ace to be able to compete in the playoffs.

cowboyeric8

Chicks dig crutches
Reaction score
Mike_45;4151277 said:
This is depressing to say the least.

Just one game. But I agree with you. Bats are ice cold, our "ace" was horrible. The Rays are playing like they want it and have better pitching, which is what wins in the playoffs.

Mike_45

Reaction score
cowboyeric8;4151286 said:
Just one game. But I agree with you. Bats are ice cold, our "ace" was horrible. The Rays are playing like they want it and have better pitching, which is what wins in the playoffs.

We can only hope. The Rangers just look terrible. Have to bounce back tomorrow.

thewireman

Reaction score
One day the Rangers will learn Ace pitching is the way to go. The Rangers seem to have always had really good bats but no pitching.