Texas Rangers Thread

Stautner

Reaction score
tko112204;3906034 said:
Yeah, the dude just plays so hard.

And that body is an OLD 30.

Too bad because he's a great player and a lot of fun to watch.

And I spent 36 dollars on him in my AL only fantasy league. Bummer.

He will be back. Rangers should be okay for 6-8 weeks.

cowboyeric8

Chicks dig crutches
Reaction score
tko112204;3906034 said:
Yeah, the dude just plays so hard.

And that body is an OLD 30.

Too bad because he's a great player and a lot of fun to watch.

And I spent 36 dollars on him in my AL only fantasy league. Bummer.

I think he is always going to have injury problems. Too much alcohol and drugs for too many years. It sucks, but the Rangers can manage, Murphy can step in I expect them to call up Gentry who had a few good games last year. Hopefully he returns and ready to tear it up.

Gzus

Romosexual
Reaction score
tko112204;3906027 said:
Hamilton out 6-8 weeks with a fractured shoulder.

Stomach punch.

Oh, per MLB Network btw.

I've been getting broken upper arm from other places. Regardless, he's out for up to 8 weeks.... Is it killer? Yes, it hurts our team. Will it cost us the season? Very doubtful, this team is built with lots of depth and you can plug that hole with plenty of different players. You can move Moreland out in the outfield for some games, shifting Young to 1st or have Napoli play 1st. You have Murphy who can be a everyday starter for more than half of the MLB teams out there. Those are a few that come to mind. Either way we can deal with it and hope when he comes back he can stay healthy the rest of the way. IMO I think it was dumb to try for home in the first inning after already scoring a run.... but that's just me.

tko112204

Reaction score
Gzus;3906318 said:
I've been getting broken upper arm from other places. Regardless, he's out for up to 8 weeks.... Is it killer? Yes, it hurts our team. Will it cost us the season? Very doubtful, this team is built with lots of depth and you can plug that hole with plenty of different players. You can move Moreland out in the outfield for some games, shifting Young to 1st or have Napoli play 1st. You have Murphy who can be a everyday starter for more than half of the MLB teams out there. Those are a few that come to mind. Either way we can deal with it and hope when he comes back he can stay healthy the rest of the way. IMO I think it was dumb to try for home in the first inning after already scoring a run.... but that's just me.

There are a lot of options, but Mitch Moreland in the OF shouldn't be one of them. Lol.

His UZR/150 in RF in 2010 was -13.9.

That's not very good.

WDN

Benched
Reaction score
cowboyeric8;3906201 said:
I think he is always going to have injury problems. Too much alcohol and drugs for too many years. It sucks, but the Rangers can manage, Murphy can step in I expect them to call up Gentry who had a few good games last year. Hopefully he returns and ready to tear it up.

Its Chris Davis that is being called up.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
tko112204;3906027 said:
Hamilton out 6-8 weeks with a fractured shoulder.

Stomach punch.

Oh, per MLB Network btw.

I finally got to see the play. I can't figure out what fractured the shoulder. I didn't see any type of violent contact. He landed on his chest. I can't image tagging him with the ball did it. :bang2:

He is a great player, but is always getting injured. He and Kinsler. Lets not even talk about Nelly and his damn hammy.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
WDN;3906406 said:
Its Chris Davis that is being called up.

Said who? Davis is an in fielder. We've already got a boat load of them. Murphy will take over for Hamilton and they will just need to get a 4th out fielder. Not sure how Davis would help that.

WDN

Benched
Reaction score
nyc;3906428 said:
Said who? Davis is an in fielder. We've already got a boat load of them. Murphy will take over for Hamilton and they will just need to get a 4th out fielder. Not sure how Davis would help that.

Chris Davis was scratched from last nights round rock game and another website dedicated to the rangers is stating this as well. Im sure Moreland will see more outfield time now and Murphy will het the majority of the starts.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
WDN;3906471 said:
Chris Davis was scratched from last nights round rock game and another website dedicated to the rangers is stating this as well. Im sure Moreland will see more outfield time now and Murphy will het the majority of the starts.

Well, not sure how they are going to work it, but I would love to see Davis actually start hitting at the major league level. The guy is phenomenal as a defensive first basemen. You hate to see him displace Moreland at first, but I would take that defense without blinking. David Murphy is probably gone next year. (way to good to be a 4th outfielder) and I suppose with some work Moreland could become a better defensive outfielder. Of course, not sure where he would play. Borbon plays center and we don't want Mr Injury playing there. :laugh2: Moreland won't play center either and he can't unseat Hamilton and Nelly.

WDN

Benched
Reaction score
An infield of Beltre-Andrus-Kinsler-Davis could possibly be one of the best defensive infields in all of baseball. Kinsler would be the weak link but I think he is underrated a little defensively.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
WDN;3906484 said:
An infield of Beltre-Andrus-Kinsler-Davis could possibly be one of the best defensive infields in all of baseball. Kinsler would be the weak link but I think he is underrated a little defensively.

He is pretty good except for an occasionally he gets lazy. That was Alfonso Soriano's problem too. Except he was lazy ALOT.

DIAF

DivaLover159
Reaction score
WDN;3906484 said:

It's too bad that Chris Davis is a terrible hitter.

I doubt he'll be starting much anyways.

DFWJC

Reaction score
DIAF;3906513 said:

Chris Davis may hit better than you think.

He was the most impressive hitter in the preseason and he absolutely earned a roster spot, but they needed the extra pitcher so he was odd man out.

Maybe he's coming around.

WDN

Benched
Reaction score
Washington has stated that he regrets rushing Davis up to the majors when they did. I think that is the main reason that they have stuck with him so long. I hope he comes through because that power is something else. I am, however, not going to be too optimistic as he has had great springs in the past only to fail in the bright lights.

Anyway. Good luck, Crush.

DIAF

DivaLover159
Reaction score
DFWJC;3906524 said:

He was the most impressive hitter in the preseason and he absolutely earned a roster spot, but they needed the extra pitcher so he was odd man out.

I'll believe it when I see it. He's failed 2 years in a row now. He looks like the classic "AAAA" slugger...great for AAA, but overmatched against mlb pitching. At this level he's got power and little else to offer (asides from his defense). Doesn't make good consistent contact, doesn't hit lefthanders, horrible plate discipline. If you are a big slugger with not-so-great contact rates, you HAVE to be selective at the plate. Davis is not.

Stautner

Reaction score
DIAF;3906513 said:

DFWJC;3906524 said:

Chris Davis has always been a great TC and m o=inor league hitter, but he has had plenty of chances to show something in the major leagues and so far has failed.

But who knows, Nelly was kind of the same way when he was younger, and the last few years he has become a top major league hitter. Maybe it will still come with Davis.

As nyc said, Davis is a truly outstanding defensive 1st baseman - considerably better than moreland in that department. I'm not sure he isn't Gold Glove caliber. But he still has to hit.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
DFWJC;3906524 said:

I agree. The Rangers almost gave up on Nelly and look at him now. He is a freaking beast. Davis like Nelly would eat up minor league pitching, but had trouble adjusting to major league pitching. Maybe he is finally maturing beyond that.

As for him being a hitter, Chris' nick name isn't Crush Davis because he is a terrible hitter.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Stautner;3906546 said:
Chris Davis has always been a great TC and m o=inor league hitter, but he has had plenty of chances to show something in the major leagues and so far has failed.

But who knows, Nelly was kind of the same way when he was younger, and the last few years he has become a top major league hitter. Maybe it will still come with Davis.

As nyc said, Davis is a truly outstanding defensive 1st baseman - considerably better than moreland in that department. I'm not sure he isn't Gold Glove caliber. But he still has to hit.
Agree.

Like I said, maybe he is coming around. Everyone seemed to be saying that his hitting was much more well-rounded now--that he was hitting all of the pitches and was showing nice patience.

You mentioned that he has had plenty of chances, but I don't see that at all.
He's only been around both mjors and minors for parts of three seasons....that's not that much. Ages 22-24 are (more often than not) developemental ages.

Anyway...hopefully he can contribute in all areas, but as you say, he surely can help with his glove.

DIAF

DivaLover159
Reaction score
nyc;3906560 said:
I agree. The Rangers almost gave up on Nelly and look at him now. He is a freaking beast. Davis like Nelly would eat up minor league pitching, but had trouble adjusting to major league pitching. Maybe he is finally maturing beyond that.

As for him being a hitter, Chris' nick name isn't Crush Davis because he is a terrible hitter.

Just because you can hit a baseball a mile over the fence doesn't mean you are a good hitter.

Even in the minors, Davis had a VERY troubling K:BB ratio and that's with playing AA/AAA ball in hitter's leagues. Some of you will look at his batting averages at those stops and say "See! He hit .333! He can hit!" but when you think about major league pitching and his lack of selectivity at the plate those things spell disaster. Chris Davis will never be a quality major league regular until he improves his plate discipline. Bottom line. No ifs, ands, or buts.

He is basically the Rangers' version of Jeff Francouer.

Stautner

Reaction score
DFWJC;3906566 said:
Agree.

Like I said, maybe he is coming around. Everyone seemed to be saying that his hitting was much more well-rounded now--that he was hitting all of the pitches and was showing nice patience.

You mentioned that he has had plenty of chances, but I don't see that at all.
He's only been around both mjors and minors for parts of three seasons....that's not that much. Ages 22-24 are (more often than not) developemental ages.

Anyway...hopefully he can contribute in all areas, but as you say, he surely can help with his glove.

If people don't show something in parts of 3 MLB seasons they sometimes don't get another chance. What you need to understand is that I'm not talking about showing signs of being a star, I'm talking about showing signs of being any kind of major league hitter at all.

The guy has 806 major league at bats - not a small sampling at all for a guy to show he has enough promise to be excited about, but so far he has 278 strikeouts and only 200 hits.

Part of the problem is that he has gotten worse in each of his major league opportunities. Admittedly 2008 wasn't bad for a 1st time player - he did show some promise then. But 2009 was markedly worse, and 2010 worse still.

Bottom is he certainly has physical skills, but he needs to pull it together. Be more patient at the plate - don't try to pull every pitch etc ..... Those things are the key.