Texas Rangers Thread

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
DIAF;3906575 said:
Just because you can hit a baseball a mile over the fence doesn't mean you are a good hitter.

Even in the minors, Davis had a VERY troubling K:BB ratio and that's with playing AA/AAA ball in hitter's leagues. Some of you will look at his batting averages at those stops and say "See! He hit .333! He can hit!" but when you think about major league pitching and his lack of selectivity at the plate those things spell disaster. Chris Davis will never be a quality major league regular until he improves his plate discipline. Bottom line. No ifs, ands, or buts.

You know BJ Upton (30.5%), David Ortiz (27.9%), and Russell Branyan's (34.8%) strikeout to at bat ratio last year was higher than Chris Davis' (24.2%) entire minor league career combined.

Adam Dun has a career 32.7% strikeout to at bat ratio just signed a 4 year $54M deal with the Nationals.

Some players do strikeout more than others, but as long as they are effective hitters, you can take some good with the bad.

Chris Davis' OBP is .371 for his minor league career. Three of the last four years, it's been over .400. The kid is maturing as a hitter. You can see that. He just needs to get over the major league hump. I think at some point it's going to click with him. The question is, does it happen while he is a Texas Ranger, or some other team.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Everyone seemed to be saying that his hitting (this offseason) was much more well-rounded now--that he was hitting all of the pitches and was showing nice patience.

They said that was the difference this offseason.
We'll see if that holds up. Big question for sure.

DIAF seems to think that the verdict is in and that he will for sure never be a decent ML hitter. I hope that's not the case.

DIAF

DivaLover159
Reaction score
nyc;3906589 said:
You know BJ Upton (30.5%), David Ortiz (27.9%), and Russell Branyan's (34.8%) strikeout to at bat ratio last year was higher than Chris Davis' (24.2%) entire minor league career combined.

Strikeout to AB ratio just tells you how much a guy K's at the plate. That speaks to his ability to make contact, but not the ability to get on base. K:BB is a much better measure of how good a guy is at the plate.

As far as BJ Upton goes, that guy has been a major disappointment. If not for his speed on the basepaths and in Center, he'd be mentioned in the same breath as Jeff Francoeur.

nyc;3906589 said:
Adam Dun has a career 32.7% strikeout to at bat ratio just signed a 4 year $54M deal with the Nationals.

Adam Dunn is also one of the most selective hitters in baseball. He walks over 100 times a year on average, and carries an OBP of over .380. He is an offensive machine, despite his bad contact.

nyc;3906589 said:
Some players do strikeout more than others, but as long as they are effective hitters, you can take some good with the bad.

That's true, but it isn't all about strikeouts for Chris Davis. It's about his strikeouts, his lack of being able to get on base, and swinging at bad pitches and pulling everything when he does make contact. All of those add up to massive fail at the plate in the majors.

nyc;3906589 said:
Chris Davis' OBP is .371 for his minor league career. Three of the last four years, it's been over .400. The kid is maturing as a hitter. You can see that. He just needs to get over the major league hump. I think at some point it's going to click with him. The question is, does it happen while he is a Texas Ranger, or some other team.

OBP is higher because of his batting average, which as we've seen so far isn't translating to the majors.

He's always mashed minor league and spring pitching. We aren't really going to know if he's matured as a hitter until he gets up here and succeeds.

DFWJC;3906595 said:
DIAF seems to think that the verdict is in and that he will for sure never be a decent ML hitter. I hope that's not the case.

Well, I wouldn't go quite that far. But it's been two years now waiting for him to take the next step. Hopefully he'll be a different hitter this time, but I think even the most optimistic of outlooks would have to say the chances aren't much better than 50/50.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Personally, if you can produce a .400+ OBP I don't care how you produce it. Walks or all hits; it's irrelevant.

DIAF

DivaLover159
Reaction score
nyc;3906639 said:
Personally, if you can produce a .400+ OBP I don't care how you produce it. Walks or all hits; it's irrelevant.

But the problem is that we are talking about him doing it facing minor league pitching in hitter-friendly leagues so far. Depends heavily on the quality of pitching you are facing; whereas plate discipline is about recognizing/controlling the strike zone, which is independent of the pitcher's ability. Relying on a hitter's BA in the minors is a less reliable predictor than looking at K:BB ratios. We aren't going to know if the BA is real until he gets up here and starts doing it.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
DIAF;3906670 said:
But the problem is that we are talking about him doing it facing minor league pitching in hitter-friendly leagues so far. Depends heavily on the quality of pitching you are facing; whereas plate discipline is about recognizing/controlling the strike zone, which is independent of the pitcher's ability. Relying on a hitter's BA in the minors is a less reliable predictor than looking at K:BB ratios. We aren't going to know if the BA is real until he gets up here and starts doing it.

Vladimir Guerrero has always had trouble with pitch recognition. He just had incredible hand-eye coordination. He didn't strikeout because he could at least get the bat on the ball and foul it.

I'm not going to argue with you about Davis. While I'm not sure he will make it in the major here with Texas, I definitely don't believe he is done yet. The kid is extremely talented in defense and in hitting. He just needs to mature more when at the plate. Patience is a virtue. A virtue that can be taught if he is willing to listen and put forth the effort. By what is being said about his this last off season, it sounds like he was listening.

The fact that your .sig says you want Romo ousted, I'm pretty sure you've already given up on Davis too.

DIAF

DivaLover159
Reaction score
nyc;3906686 said:
Vladimir Guerrero has always had trouble with pitch recognition. He just had incredible hand-eye coordination. He didn't strikeout because he could at least get the bat on the ball and foul it.

I'm not going to argue with you about Davis. While I'm not sure he will make it in the major here with Texas, I definitely don't believe he is done yet. The kid is extremely talented in defense and in hitting. He just needs to mature more when at the plate. Patience is a virtue. A virtue that can be taught if he is willing to listen and put forth the effort. By what is being said about his this last off season, it sounds like he was listening.

The fact that your .sig says you want Romo ousted, I'm pretty sure you've already given up on Davis too.

Vladimir Guerrero isn't a patient hitter, but he's so talented with the bat he doesn't need to be. And he has a really good K:BB ratio, because he doesn't strike out much. If its anywhere near the strike zone, he can get his bat on the ball. Chris Davis doesn't have that same kind of ability, nor do most major leaguers. Vlad is a freak. Guys that don't have that kind of ability need to be more selective, which Chris hasn't shown to be.

I don't really care about Chris Davis sticking; Texas doesn't need him and we've got enough bats at his position(s) that it doesn't really matter if he makes it or not. Obviously I'd like him to come up here and hit .280 with 35 homers but it's been 3 years now and the Rangers have largely moved on.

Stautner

Reaction score
nyc;3906589 said:

It's not exactly fair to compare a player's minor league stats with another player's major league stats.

The reality is that it's obvious that Davis has not shown that he can be a major league hitter, adn that he has to step it up or he will find himself without a baseball career. That really isn't disputable.

That said, Davis is only 25, and his defense, power potential and minor league success suggest he is worthy keeping around and giving a chance to develop.

dback

Reaction score
Looks like this game may come down to how well our middle relief is. Dave Bush is at 71 pitches after three and Scherzer for the Tigers is at 63 and counting.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Stautner;3906759 said:
It's not exactly fair to compare a player's minor league stats with another player's major league stats.

The reality is that it's obvious that Davis has not shown that he can be a major league hitter, adn that he has to step it up or he will find himself without a baseball career. That really isn't disputable.

That said, Davis is only 25, and his defense, power potential and minor league success suggest he is worthy keeping around and giving a chance to develop.

I noted them due to the context of the discussion.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Two wild pitches sandwiched between three hits. Scherzer is trying to give the Rangers the game. :laugh2:

DFWJC

Reaction score
lol
Ran ourselves out of yet another inning. Murphey out trying to steal home.
I like us being agressive, but some time it's over-the-top.

2-0 Rangers!

cowboyeric8

Chicks dig crutches
Reaction score
DFWJC;3906904 said:
lol
Ran ourselves out of yet another inning. Murphey out trying to steal home.
I like us being agressive, but some time it's over-the-top.

2-0 Rangers!

He only tried to steal home because Julio got picked off, so they took a chance.

dback

Reaction score
Ok Mr. Lowe, that fastball right down the middle is not working for you.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Lowe already screwing this game up. Two straight doubles to start the inning. :banghead:

DFWJC

Reaction score
nyc;3906917 said:
Lowe already screwing this game up. Two straight doubles to start the inning. :banghead:
What is wrong with Lowe this year.
He is getting SHELLED every time out.

His ERA is something like 13 so far. lol

2-2...that was quick

cowboyeric8

Chicks dig crutches
Reaction score
Rhodes is such an old man. He acts and walks around like everything hurts.

Good inning for him though.