Texas Rangers Thread

8FOR!3

Reaction score
You see those two moonshots last night from Moreland and Gallo? :)

I thought all the fun was over after Moreland's so I took a quick restroom break, came back and missed the Gallo bomb. Dude's on another planet...Anthony Bass on the other hand scared me in the 9th, but he shouldn't have been throwing 40+ pitches anyways. Bullpen can still use a lot of help. Keane Kela has some potential and Tolleson's solid.

cowboyeric8

Chicks dig crutches
Reaction score
Sorry Ranger fans, I jinxed the hell out of them today. Mentioning injuries and how good Tolleson has been doing. DeShields with a hamstring injury and Tolleson with a poor 9th inning. Still only one game though.

Looks like Odor is being moved back up. So that would mean him playing second, Alberto to third, and Gallo to left. Weakens the outfield defensively.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Rangers have been humming along. They're the only team in the division that has a winning record over its last 10 games.

8FOR!3

Reaction score
Joey Gallo hits a home run off the best left handed pitcher in baseball the first game he ever faces him. Fitting.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
http://i143.***BLOCKED***/albums/r147/jlutin/like_a_boss_500-500x500_zps5147fc46.png

StylisticS

Reaction score
Taking three straight against the Dodgers. Impressive. I will be shocked if they sweep them especially with all of these injuries.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
The Rangers got into a terrible funk offensively, but clearly came out of it last night against the Borials. Four dingers baby! :D

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Rangers got into a terrible funk offensively, but clearly came out of it last night against the Borials. Four dingers baby! :D

Don't know what to make of the Rangers.

I have no feel on if they're going to be buyers or sellers at the trade deadline.

If they expect to take the division they need to add both another bat and a quality arm, and hope Houston doesn't do the same.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score

I have no feel on if they're going to be buyers or sellers at the trade deadline.

If they expect to take the division they need to add both another bat and a quality arm, and hope Houston doesn't do the same.

Does it really matter of they take the division?

I just need them to beat baltimore and Tampa when if they play... :)

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Does it really matter of they take the division?

I just need them to beat baltimore and Tampa when if they play... :)

I was just throwing the question out there in general as a baseball fan. At this juncture they aren't as good as Houston and in order to end up with a better record than the Stros they're going to have to make some moves

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
I was just throwing the question out there in general as a baseball fan. At this juncture they aren't as good as Houston and in order to end up with a better record than the Stros they're going to have to make some moves

I hear ya...

I just want to steal #28 ... Similar to boston winning that last World Series,

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I hear ya...

I just want to steal #28 ... Similar to boston winning that last World Series,

Right now the Yanks are really fragile.

I keep waiting for Tanaka's elbow to blow out. The production at 2nd base is just wretched.

gmoney112

Reaction score

I don't think it's realistic to make noise this season so i can't really see them buying much. If they did have the opportunity to secure a bat for multiple years, i think they jump all over it.

The pitching outlook for the end of the season is looking better, and our prospects for next season aren't bad at all. Holland's slated to start throwing in late July, Perez starts his rehab assignments soon. Harrison's hit or miss right now in Frisco but if he starts getting more reliable he can be a bullpen arm.

Gallardo has been a nice surprise, and Martinez has some quality outings. Chi Chi has also had some good stuff so we should have at least a semi decent rotation going into next season, with Yu healthy, between all these guys. Another bullpen arm or two couldn't hurt.

Choo needs to step it up because he's looking like a major bust with that contract. He had a good game against Baltimore but he's been hitting terribly.

I'm not really sure who's available right now or who we'd even be considering, but i'd definitely be looking at bats that we can lock up for multiple years.

On a sidenote, it's been really nice to see Prince come back and be the guy we thought he was. He's been killing it this season. It's good to see.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
The Rangers have enough offense if they can get everyone hitting again. (Fielder, Moreland, Choo, Hamilton, Beltre) That's enough guys to drive the offense with pitch-ins from the other guys, they just need to get them all rolling again.

The Rangers biggest issue that I can see is the bullpen.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So Hamilton comes up and Gallo goes back down.

Gallo can give the ball a ride but that strikeout rate of his is wretched.

gmoney112

Reaction score
The Rangers have enough offense if they can get everyone hitting again. (Fielder, Moreland, Choo, Hamilton, Beltre) That's enough guys to drive the offense with pitch-ins from the other guys, they just need to get them all rolling again.

The Rangers biggest issue that I can see is the bullpen.

I agree bullpen is an issue. The offensive problem is that the only consistent hitters we've had all season are Moreland and Fielder. This is probably Beltre's worst season I've seen in his Rangers career at the plate. I know his thumb is injured, but he's not been the Beltre of old by a longshot. Choo's redeeming quality was OBP, and he hasn't been doing that all year. Who know with Josh, he's a complete wildcard. He's just as likely to just sit out half the season or swing at pitches a foot out of the strike zone. Not to mention Leonys has regressed lately as well.

Not to mention Beltre is 36, Josh is 34, and Choo is about to be 33.

As it stands, our offense is almost completely reliant on Fielder and Moreland, who are both playing outstanding. I think it's pretty important that we get another bat at some point for the future. Choo obviously isn't going anywhere with that contract, so he's stuck here. Josh is staying too for another year at least, and I like DeShields, kid has potential and is an absolute burner on the bases.

When Holland/Perez get back we're going to have some pieces to play with as far as SP rotation, we'll see who we can package and who we feel comfortable with in the rotation next year or possibly going to a reliever position next year as well. Getting Yu/Holland/Perez, and to a lesser extent Harrison, will be a big boon for our pitching.

As of right now, personally, the only players i'm keeping for their offensive production next season are fielder/moreland/hamilton. I'd package something together for another quality bat for the next few years, and then concentrate the rest of my resources on the bullpen. I definitely wouldn't sacrifice anything for this season. I'd let my rotation continue to get quality starts and see who can contribute next year.

I wish Profar had taken the advice for his surgery the first time. The former #1 prospect is probably going to be doubtful to even play in the bigs for a year, if ever. He's lost so much time and practice, that's a ton of ground to cover. I wish him the best but I'm doubtful. MLB is tough.

Just my thoughts. Moreland with another 2 HR's. Dude is on fire!

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Back to back four dinger nights for the Rangers. :)

Who is this Moreland kid and why does he keep firing Jacks! :)