Texas strong or weak?

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
As posted in the college football thread, it appears that Strong has been in the discussion about the U of Miami's HC vacancy.

He lost a 4-star commitment this week, and recruiting hasn't been the best. The UT braintrust may be growing impatient. Look for him to be canned if the team has another blow-out loss.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
He beat the crap out of Oklahoma. That buys him time.

Yeah, and that's difficult to rationalize, considering how poor the Horns have looked against most mid-level teams.

Today's performance may be another nail in the Stong coffin.

jimmy40

Reaction score
Charlie needs to have just one ear piece on his headphones so I'll know he's not just listening to music with those things.

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
I think he slammed the door on us last time, BFF.
But I hear Red McCombs is putting out some feelers, so hide the women and children -- no one is safe!

nooooooo!

he would turn UT around but my Tide would suffer because Lane would move up!

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
I think you're safe, unless he wants to try his hand in the NFL. (why would anybody do that?)

he's kind of an oddball. He's one of those guys who talks about retiring but you know that's just talk. I do think he has a price & could be talked into moving on from BAMA. I wouldn't be shocked at anything he does but I have a feeling they'd promote Lane.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
he's kind of an oddball. He's one of those guys who talks about retiring but you know that's just talk. I do think he has a price & could be talked into moving on from BAMA. I wouldn't be shocked at anything he does but I have a feeling they'd promote Lane.

Lane has been good at OC, but not so much as HC; it remains to be seen.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
Looks like the Baylor win has solidified Charlie's job.

They are trying to get stronger and more aggressive on offense, though, chasing Sonny Cumbie from TCU as OC.
Word is, however, that he turned them down. LSU also reached out to him for the same reason -- HC on the hot seat needs to generate more offense or lose his job.

StylisticS

Reaction score
The fact that he might be on the hot seat next year could actually hurt him on getting a top OC. Should have never brought in Watson.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
On the positive side, Malik won the Big 12 Defensive Freshman POY.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
The fact that he might be on the hot seat next year could actually hurt him on getting a top OC. Should have never brought in Watson.

True. He may not be able to get a top-tier guy; might have to go with someone like Sterlin Gilbert, a rising star type who would be blown away with that offer at the 40 acres. Would be just as wise to take a good look at Applewhite, but Charlie would probably not be comfortable hiring his possible replacement

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
Sterlin Gilbert was coaching 5A football at San Angelo Lakeview HS 57 mos ago.

He got on Art Briles' staff at UH as a GA in '05, and that started his meteoric rise through Texas high school football, where his up-tempo spread was always one of the most prolific offenses in the state, beginning with Abilene Cooper in '06 &'07.

He moved to the college level in'12 at EIU (Romo's alma mater), and directed and developed Jimmy Garoppolo and his high-flying offense to the Walter Camp Award in '13. Then he went to Bowling Green for a year, then Tulsa, again with nationally-ranked offenses.

He played QB at Lakeview and Angelo State U.

I have friends who know Gilbert, and the consensus is that he really has something in addition to the Briles tutelage (he also coached under 2 of Art's protege's).

We'll see if this stage is too big for him and the whole staff is gone in another year or 2, or if he and Strong can form a system that can flourish.