Texas vs Ohio St. thread

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Rowdy;2560011 said:
We could create a poll right here on this forum then and Ill stand by it and you stand by it. OK? It will basically state "Do you agree that on any given day, a football team can lose to an inferior team?"

I'll stand by the results, will you?

Make the poll if you wish. I don't see how it makes much difference and I would also say that the question is irrelivant. The question should be, Should OU have gotten the chance to play for the Big 12 Championship over Texas?

I would be interested in the results but at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter. OU and Florida are playing and Texas isn't. Standing by results does exactly what for Texas fans?

That's what I thought.

Just win a game.

Hank Johnson

Benched
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;2559941 said:
At the end of the day, the schedules between OU and Texas are almost identical according to strength of schedule. To say that Texas got dull, IMO, is subjective. Texas and OU meet on 10/11. Texas defeated OU convingly and went on to destroy Missouri. They played a tough game against OSU, lost in Lubback, destroyed Baylor, destroyed Kansas, destroyed TAM. I don't see how that equates to dull.

I mean, you can say that OU played better down the stretch but I don't really see it. They put up more points but they also gave up more points. You can very easily say that Texas played better because they were superior defensively. I watched the OU/OSU game and let me just tell ya that OU didn't look dominating in that game at all. In fact, with 10 minutes in the 4th quarter, the score was 44-41. A 37 yard shanked punt by OSU, a blown assignment allowing a free sack on Robinson and a fumble by OSU accounted for the final score in the last 7 minutes or so. I'm not saying OU didn't deserve to win that game because they did IMO but I would not call it an impressive or dominating win either. They gave up 41. That's not impressive by any means.

You can say that OU played tougher teams down the stretch but then again, you also have to agree that Texas played a brutal stretch in the middle of the season that I doubt anybody in the country could have done and gone unbeaten. We play Tech earlier or later and I don't know that we lose that game. Again, speculation but that's what's going on here right?

After the Tech loss, Texas played the following.

Baylor 45-21
Kansas 35-7
TAM 49-9

OU played all of those teams earlier in the year. with the following results.

Baylor 49-17
Kansas 45-31
TAM 66-28

Was OU really that much more impressive? I don't see it.

In week 11, after lossing to Tech, we were #3 and OU was #5. In week 14, after OU had already beaten Tech, we were #2, OU was #3. Now, 1/3 of the BCS ranking is computer generated, 1/3 is writers and 1/3 is coaches poll. If we are ranked ahead of OU after the defeat of Tech, then I don't see how you can say that OU was more impressive down the stretch the was Texas. Yes, OU put up big offensive numbers but Texas shut down everybody they played and they scored big. The computers were vertually deadlocked. The writers were split. How on earth can the coaches say that OU deserves to be ranked higher in week 15? I mean, that just makes no sense to me at all. If any one of the coaches were in the position Texas was in, not one of them would vote for another team to jump them in the polls, under the same circumstances. That's what I have a problem with.

As far as Florida goes, well, Florida only jumped Texas because they played an extra game against Alabama. The only commen opponent Texas and Florida played was Arkansas. Texas played Arkansas 9/27 and beat them 52-10. They played Florida the next week and lost 38-7. I don't think that Arkansas is more deserving either but we didn't play them head to head and the real reason for them jumping us in the polls is because we didn't get to play for the Big 12 championship.

It is what it is but nobody will ever convince me that OU was better or more deserving this year.

Texas beat a very tough Ohio State team and I'm very proud of that. Everybody wanted to see OU in the title game. Well, they are there. Lets see what they do with it.

Again, UT struggled in the toughest part of their schedule. They beat OU by 10. That's not as bad as some of you would want us to believe. OU was up in that game several times but couldn't seal the deal. I think most of the nation would love to see that one again because most, like myself, believe OU would destroy them if that game were played again.

OU beat more ranked teams than UT. I believe it was 4-3 before the CCG.

In UT's gauntet of their schedule, they barely beat OU, knocked off an overrated Mizzou, struggled and looked very beatable against OSU at home, then lost to Tech. I'd say that's pretty dull. Of course they looked good against Baylor, KU, and aTm. Come on..

Route 66

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;2560035 said:
Make the poll if you wish. I don't see how it makes much difference and I would also say that the question is irrelivant. The question should be, Should OU have gotten the chance to play for the Big 12 Championship over Texas?

I would be interested in the results but at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter. OU and Florida are playing and Texas isn't. Standing by results does exactly what for Texas fans?

That's what I thought.

Just win a game.

You were the one that made a big deal by my comment that most football fans believe that on any given day any team can lose and you asked for a poll. I don't need one. If I keep this up, soon I'll have Crazy Cowboy's thread count based on BCS threads alone.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Rowdy;2560053 said:
You were the one that made a big deal by my comment that most football fans believe that on any given day any team can lose and you asked for a poll. I don't need one. If I keep this up, soon I'll have Crazy Cowboy's thread count based on BCS threads alone.

You are right that on any given day a team can win or lose but that win or loss should count alot in determining a champion.

Route 66

Reaction score
Doomsday101;2560062 said:
You are right that on any given day a team can win or lose but that win or loss should count alot in determining a champion.

I agree with you, I really do. I'm just kind of fed up with some people all upset when the rules were set forth before the season started. Like I said before, if a head to head matchup overrides ANY other factors, then Texas should be playing instead of us. Its simply not the case as it stands with the current rules.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Rowdy;2560067 said:
I agree with you, I really do. I'm just kind of fed up with some people all upset when the rules were set forth before the season started. Like I said before, if a head to head matchup overrides ANY other factors, then Texas should be playing instead of us. Its simply not the case as it stands with the current rules.

I agree with you. For the big 12 there was a 3 way tie Texas, OU and TT had the it been a 2 way tie Texas goes over OU but that was not the case.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Hank Johnson;2560047 said:
Again, UT struggled in the toughest part of their schedule. They beat OU by 10. That's not as bad as some of you would want us to believe. OU was up in that game several times but couldn't seal the deal. I think most of the nation would love to see that one again because most, like myself, believe OU would destroy them if that game were played again.

OU beat more ranked teams than UT. I believe it was 4-3 before the CCG.

In UT's gauntet of their schedule, they barely beat OU, knocked off an overrated Mizzou, struggled and looked very beatable against OSU at home, then lost to Tech. I'd say that's pretty dull. Of course they looked good against Baylor, KU, and aTm. Come on..

They look better then OU did against Baylor, KU and TAM IMO. The whole, down the stretch thing doesn't hold water IMO. You play the schedule you have. It just so happens that our schedule was put together in such a way that it was real tough in the middle. If OU would have played the same stretch at the same time of the year, they probably wouldn't have been able to finish it off either. I mean, that's why you have to look at the whole thing, not just a couple games at the end.

You say they barely beat OU? Well, OU was out in front comfortably in that game. You lead by 11 twice in the first half. The real truth is that the only quarter OU won was 1st quarter. In the 1st quarter, OU outscored Texas 7-3. In the 2nd, 3rd and 4th quarters, Texas beat OU consistantly. 17-14 in the 2nd, 10-7 in the 3rd and 15-7 in the 4th. Texas didn't barely beat OU. Texas beat them solidly. Those are the facts of the game. This notion that OU somehow got beaten by an inferrior team I keep hearing is rediculous. Inferrior teams don't win 3 out of 4 meetings in succession.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Rowdy;2560053 said:

This is inaccurate. I asked for the results of the poll you took to come to your conclusion. You stated it as if it was an accepted fact. I simply asked for the proof of that.

I see now that you were not stating facts. You were stating opinion. That's fine and your entitled but the truth of the matter is that OU did not lose to an inferrior team. They lost to a superior team.

Route 66

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;2560166 said:
This is inaccurate. I asked for the results of the poll you took to come to your conclusion. You stated it as if it was an accepted fact. I simply asked for the proof of that.

I see now that you were not stating facts. You were stating opinion. That's fine and your entitled but the truth of the matter is that OU did not lose to an inferrior team. They lost to a superior team.

I made an accurate statement that most people would agree that on any given day, a good team can lose. You refuted that by asking then if I took a poll to draw my conclusion. I then stated that I would prove it by taking a poll. You were the one who ever brought up the word "poll". If you would like, I can show you that post for your reading pleasure.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Rowdy;2560236 said:
I made an accurate statement that most people would agree that on any given day, a good team can lose. You refuted that by asking then if I took a poll to draw my conclusion. I then stated that I would prove it by taking a poll. You were the one who ever brought up the word "poll". If you would like, I can show you that post for your reading pleasure.

That's all well and good but the point I was making is that OU didn't lose to an inferrior team. They lost to a superior Texas team.

Now, if you would rather not address what I have just written, then by all means, produce your poll objections. They are irrelivant in any case. We have already determined that your opinions were just that, opinion as opposed to fact.

Route 66

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;2560166 said:

I was stating facts and I said that I would provide a poll to prove that. The fact is that most people would agree. That is a fact. Whether it is everyone's opinion that any team could lose is still a fact that its most people's opinions. You can spin it however you want.

I'd say quite a large, er huge group of individuals would refute your "superiority" over OU. To help you sleep at night, just think of little BEVOs scampering out of the corral and count back from 100...

Route 66

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;2560247 said:
That's all well and good but the point I was making is that OU didn't lose to an inferrior team. They lost to a superior Texas team.

Now, if you would rather not address what I have just written, then by all means, produce your poll objections. They are irrelivant in any case. We have already determined that your opinions were just that, opinion as opposed to fact.

Well, since you are going this route, then show me your facts that prove that Texas is a superior team. You can't use the "we beat you one time" theory because that is not how college football is currently run. Rules are set forth.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Rowdy;2560248 said:
I was stating facts and I said that I would provide a poll to prove that. The fact is that most people would agree. That is a fact. Whether it is everyone's opinion that any team could lose is still a fact that its most people's opinions. You can spin it however you want.

I'd say quite a large, er huge group of individuals would refute your "superiority" over OU. To help you sleep at night, just think of little BEVOs scampering out of the corral and count back from 100...

In your original post, you said that a superior team can lose to an inferrior team on any given day. This is true, it can happen. However, that is not the case in the Texas/OU game. The superior team won out. That's all I'm saying.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Rowdy;2560251 said:
Well, since you are going this route, then show me your facts that prove that Texas is a superior team. You can't use the "we beat you one time" theory because that is not how college football is currently run. Rules are set forth.

45-35 is proof enough IMO but I can't force you to admit truth so I won't try.

I will, however, simply state that only the Big 12 plays by the rules which allowed OU to advance. Unfortunate for Texas but hey, those are the breaks I suppose.

Route 66

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;2560261 said:
45-35 is proof enough IMO but I can't force you to admit truth so I won't try.

I will, however, simply state that only the Big 12 plays by the rules which allowed OU to advance. Unfortunate for Texas but hey, those are the breaks I suppose.

There is nothing for me to admit. I have openly stated everything whether it favors OU or UT.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Rowdy;2560272 said:
There is nothing for me to admit. I have openly stated everything whether it favors OU or UT.

So then, do you believe that Texas is the better team or do you insist that OU is the better team?

Route 66

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;2560304 said:
So then, do you believe that Texas is the better team or do you insist that OU is the better team?

Herein lies the problem. I believe OU is the better team and that is not because I'm biased. I just don't hang a season on one game. You do. That's fine. The difference between you and I is simply that.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Rowdy;2560335 said:
Herein lies the problem. I believe OU is the better team and that is not because I'm biased. I just don't hang a season on one game. You do. That's fine. The difference between you and I is simply that.

No, that's not correct and to color me as such is inaccurate. I don't hang my hat on just one game. I look at the whole season and I understand that there is more to a team then just offense. OU, IMO, is not a very good defensive team. They are also poor in special teams. They are an excellent offensive team. To me, Texas is more complete. They can play on both sides of the ball and in a season where both teams were 11-1, 7-1 in conference play, I see a single head to head match up as defining. That is not a stretch and I assure you that I am far from alone.

Your original statment about telling all there is to tell doesn't tell the whole story. You try to characterize me as a guy looking at just one game when in fact, I looked at the whole season. It is OU fans who make the claim OU was hot at the end. That, to me, does not sound like a fan base who is looking at the whole season. It sounds like a fan base who only want to focus on a single game or two.

Route 66

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;2560379 said:
No, that's not correct and to color me as such is inaccurate. I don't hang my hat on just one game. I look at the whole season and I understand that there is more to a team then just offense. OU, IMO, is not a very good defensive team. They are also poor in special teams. They are an excellent offensive team. To me, Texas is more complete. They can play on both sides of the ball and in a season where both teams were 11-1, 7-1 in conference play, I see a single head to head match up as defining. That is not a stretch and I assure you that I am far from alone.

Your original statment about telling all there is to tell doesn't tell the whole story. You try to characterize me as a guy looking at just one game when in fact, I looked at the whole season. It is OU fans who make the claim OU was hot at the end. That, to me, does not sound like a fan base who is looking at the whole season. It sounds like a fan base who only want to focus on a single game or two.

I have heard from you for quite awhile that Texas should be above OU due to the "45-35". That sounds like to me a one-game based ideaology way of thinking. Then, you go off on lumping all fans together which is a big mistake and lowers your credibility in my mind. I have exhaustively shown that I am not biased towards what is right. It is NOT just OU fans that "think" they were hot at the end. They were. They made history this season with 5 60 pt games in a row. That hasn't happened in 89 years. I would think that most would call that a "hot" run regardless of what team you stand behind.