That Time Rookie Dak Prescott Faced Multi-MVP Aaron Rodgers - and You Didn't See It

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Often history gets mis-remembered...or forgotten. So let's review the 2016 Divisional Cowboys-Packer Playoff game, shall we?

I like to aim for a scientific, objective approach, though with football it's difficult, if not imposible. We're all humans and football doesn't occur in a lab room. But can we all agree to aim the arrow towards truth? I will bite your leg off if it's obvious you aren't trying.

Cowboys versus Pack...In particular...Dak versus Aaron, January 16, 2017. Are you ready?

Let' start with the little stuff:
Aaron Rodgers: 2 carries, 16 yards
Dak Prescott: 2 carries, 13 yards

More in a bit...
T-RO

I get it. There will always be someone on here that throws shade on anything positive.

I swear if this team won two SB's back to back, the crowd would be complaining that they didn't win the third.

Thanks for the work you put into this.

Qcard

Reaction score
If you don't think that the 2016 offense wasn't superior to the 2022 offense then we have nothing more to discuss.
Wow!! Did you even read my post?

Goalpost Shifting cover up - a disengenius trope

I clearly Stated Dakota Prescott is statically better!!!

At what point did your small mind jump to entire "Offense" Superiority being MY Point???

Read Again See Slowly.... Process a reply in response to Dakota being Statically better...
Fake news......void of Facts!

Dakota Prescott is statically better than he was in 2016......did Cowboys not Win a playoff game 2022 unlike 2016??
Reading is Fundamental

Makes Fake News easy to see Spot

Last edited:

Qcard

Reaction score
People have such revisionist history. His naysayers said he wasn’t very good and was a bus driver who can’t pass for over 200 yards. Now they’ve changed the narrative and those 200 yard days were his best years lol.
Exactly!!

The Facts show Prescott is a better QB Statically and Team Performance 2022 vs 2016

Dak Haters won't accept the Facts ...they Goalpost Shift to "Offense Superiority" yada yada yada @MyFairLady :lmao:

CowboysRule

Reaction score
Exactly!!

The Facts show Prescott is a better QB Statically and Team Performance 2022 vs 2016

Dak Haters won't accept the Facts ...they Goalpost Shift to "Offense Superiority" yada yada yada @MyFairLady :lmao:
What statistics? Interceptions? Those are up.

Does he pass for more yards? More TD's? Sure. They don't have the O-line and running game they did his rookie season. They have handed the team to him, gave him a large contract to say "You're our guy! Now go win us a championship!" and he has responded by losing early playoff games. Then, our backup QB is able to come in and win, what was it, 4 games in his absence? That doesn't really inspire confidence that he really earned that huge contract all in his own.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
It would be nice if Dak was trending away from Cousins as the years go on. As it stands he is becoming more and more like Cousins every year.
Dak's whole career he plays primetime games. Cousins doesn't play as much in prime time and when he does he sucks and he loses. There's no comparison to anyone paying a atteniton.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Let's review the big picture of the game:

The Pack built up a big lead...leading 28-10 at the end of the third quarter. Dallas roared all the way back to tie the game with 35 seconds left.

Aaron Rodgers team: 31 points
Dak Prescott's team: 31 points

:35 seconds left.

Here's where "science" and "data" and "truth" must kick in, if we are aiming the arrow at truth. Upon the conclusion of the Cowboy's drive to tie the score each team had enjoyed nine possessions.
Dallas: Nine possessions, 31 points.
Packers: Nine possessions, 31 points.

Rodgers and the Pack won the game during an extra possession the Cowboys didn't enjoy. Same thing happens in numerous games, including historic Chiefs-Bills playoff game 16 months ago. Is what it is. Games don't always ensure a square deal. Sports and life aren't fair, but anyone interested in truth should try to be.
This was another game where a defensive letdown made everything the quarterback did go under the microscope. We had some possessions early in the game where we missed opportunities as Dak took a little while to settle into a nice rhythm. Because of the defensive letdown, Prescott falls short of getting recognized for playing well enough for the team to win and the missed opportunities get magnified.

And because it is a team game with multiple aspects, it shouldn't be forgotten that if a blatant hold had been called on Green Bay's last possession, the outcome might have been different.

I don't like to spend too much time reviewing the past. It's gone and we have to move on to the now. But it does make me shake my head when fans try to just use something like wins to define a quarterback. A lot goes into wins and losses beyond the QB's play.

Jarntt

Reaction score
was a great almost comeback by Dak and the Cowboys. That stupid interception in the red zone where he just threw the WR screen without locating and reading the defender was huge. Some tough losses to Rodgers in the playoffs

Jarntt

Reaction score
People have such revisionist history. His naysayers said he wasn’t very good and was a bus driver who can’t pass for over 200 yards. Now they’ve changed the narrative and those 200 yard days were his best years lol.
It’s perhaps somewhere between possible to likely that both of these statements are true.

I for one think if we make things a little simpler for Dak and don’t ask him to do things he doesn’t excel at we could make an NFC Championship game this year. I think that is part of what McCarthy is going to do. play action passes, higher percentage throws, getting him out of the pocket against better pass rushes, making sure he throws it away instead of forcing the ball. I’m looking forward to seeing how the offense is different this year and optimistic that it will be a bounce back year for Dak.

Jarntt

Reaction score

Packers

10-6, 4-4 AWAY
Green Bay Packers
Final

1234T
GB7147634
DAL31001831

Cowboys

Cowboys

13-3, 7-1 HOME

Once again where was Prescott the 1st 3 Q of the game?
Only 13 points in 3 Q with the best HB and OFFLINE and HOF TE and Dez at home to boot.
The Packers go into prevent def in the 4th Q and guess what Prescott comes alive.
How many times have we seen the above scenario?
Can you say .....Too Many!!!!!
The Cowboys lose again......
Oh FFS, talk about cherry picking a stat. How about the 18 points in the 4th Qtr? give me 18 points from a QB in a 4th Qtr of every game and I’ll give him $60M per year

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Oh FFS, talk about cherry picking a stat. How about the 18 points in the 4th Qtr? give me 18 points from a QB in a 4th Qtr of every game and I’ll give him $60M per year
How about the playoff games vs the Rams?

Opps another massive 15 pts in the 1st 3 Quarters for Dakko.....

Cowboys​

10-6, 3-5 AWAY
Dallas Cowboys
Final

1234T
DAL708722
LAR3173730

Rams

Rams​

13-3, 7-1 HOME

Gotta a lot more for you from the Niners games to regular seasons games like the Chiefs which held him to 9 pts and those Eagles who won the division holding him to 3 FG etc etc etc.
Admit it he is called GARBAGE Stats DAK for a reason!!!!

Qcard

Reaction score
What statistics? Interceptions? Those are up.
What other Statistics??? :muttley:

Dak Hater Specialty!!

Mention INT Anamoly in One year then conflate it with ALL other years....

Dak Haters are dumb.....
Does he pass for more yards? More TD's? Sure.
Thank you for your flippant tacit Approval. ;)
They don't have the O-line and running game they did his rookie season.
They have in 2022 an O-Line and running game that won a Road Play-off Game... What are you standards???
Goalpost Shifting in 4...3...2...1!:huh:
They have handed the team to him, gave him a large contract to say "You're our guy! Now go win us a championship!" and he has responded by losing early playoff games. Then, our backup QB is able to come in and win, what was it, 4 games in his absence? That doesn't really inspire confidence that he really earned that huge contract all in his own.

:laugh:
Dakota Prescott wasn't Handed ANYTHING!

Tony Romo injury opened the door, Prescott still Kick it In and Shut Romo out.......2016 Team was built for Romo........ Not Vice Versa

2023 Offseason eradicated remaining stuff

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
What other Statistics??? :muttley:

Dak Hater Specialty!!

Mention INT Anamoly in One year then conflate it with ALL other years....

Dak Haters are dumb.....

Thank you for your flippant tacit Approval. ;)

They have in 2022 an O-Line and running game that won a Road Play-off Game... What are you standards???
Goalpost Shifting in 4...3...2...1!:huh:

:laugh:
Dakota Prescott wasn't Handed ANYTHING!

Tony Romo injury opened the door, Prescott still Kick it In and Shut Romo out.......2016 Team was built for Romo........ Not Vice Versa

2023 Offseason eradicated remaining stuff
Yes, 2016 was build for Romo and when he got injured Dak came in and did great! Then the next years up until now they are trying to build a team for Dak using crayons and colored pencils so he can decipher what the hell he is supposed to do!

Dak lovers need medicine for their bi-polar thoughts.

Jarntt

Reaction score
How about the playoff games vs the Rams?

Opps another massive 15 pts in the 1st 3 Quarters for Dakko.....

Cowboys

10-6, 3-5 AWAY
Dallas Cowboys
Final

1234T
DAL708722
LAR3173730

Rams

Rams

13-3, 7-1 HOME

Gotta a lot more for you from the Niners games to regular seasons games like the Chiefs which held him to 9 pts and those Eagles who won the division holding him to 3 FG etc etc etc.
Admit it he is called GARBAGE Stats DAK for a reason!!!!
How about the Tampa playoff game? We can all cherry pick games

Qcard

Reaction score
Yes, 2016 was build for Romo and when he got injured Dak came in and did great! Then the next years up until now they are trying to build a team for Dak using crayons and colored pencils so he can decipher what the hell he is supposed to do!

Dak lovers need medicine for their bi-polar thoughts.
We've come a long way from charity golf event team building Era!!

Dak Haters need another polar

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
They changed the style that he was best at . Methodical dink dunk move the football. No let’s open it up and become the Kansas City Chiefs and then we did that and started to lose even though we were passing for 400 yards plus.
This. And they paid him 500bazilon dollars like he has the goods. No running game and a shell of his former athleticism shows he's clearly a JAG

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
We've come a long way from charity golf event team building Era!!

Dak Haters need another polar

Yep, now they are smashing watermelons. What is the difference.

Nothing. Dak lovers love that watermelon.