That's an alarming slap back to reality

Sydla

Reaction score
I am sure there are some that will put a nice spin on it, giving the old, "it's only one game" angle for an embarrassing loss, but there are some realities here:

1) Another big game, another slow start. That's mostly coaching and preparation. The game plan was typically disappointing and neither Marinelli or Linehan had much of anything in terms of adjustments. They got their ***** handed to them by a new coaching staff. Games like this are why I am in the camp that I have serious doubts Garrett can ever take this team beyond an early playoff loss.

2) We may have a QB problem. People are falling over themselves to blame everyone but Dak, and while offensive play is spread around to the OL and WRs, Dak was dreadful today himself and that's now two games in a row he has not looked right. He looks skittish in the pocket at times now, he seems to have little confidence at all to throw the ball anywhere beyond 7 yards and he seems quick to just find his short outlet guy and send it there. At one point, his YPA was a dreadful 4.9. That's awful. Like Brandon Weeden awful. He better get this fixed or the reality is our QB position might not be solved for the next 7 years like people think.

3) I have no idea what to think of Zeke.

4) This OL might have been the most embarrassing aspect of all. Supposed best OL in football just got their ***** handed to them for 60 minutes. I guess the experts were right when they said we'd have issues replacing Leary and Free. It certainly showed today. And we still have some very good DLs coming up - KC, Philly, etc. It could get ugly if they don't want up in those games.

5) The pass rush is exactly the same as it always has been. Which is to say mediocre. It's the same guys from last year and all we added was another SDE to the mix in Charlton. I am not sure why anyone thought it would be better. Watch teams like KC, Denver even Philly. They have guys on the DL who are just so quick with their first steps and they just smother the pocket. We don't do that because we simply lack talent at DL to get after the passer.

6) LBs had a bad game, Lee especially given he's supposed to be the vet leader out there.

7) I am pretty much at wits end with Jones. I keep hoping the light bulb will go off and I am not at the point where I just have to accept it won't. Heath is a middling player himself. So many mistakes and missed tackles. How you guys liking that Carroll signing? I warned you and yet the FO homers kept telling me that Carroll was a quality player that would benefit playing here for Marinelli. Basically, because the FO signed him, therefore, he must be a solid player. I watched him for 2 years. He's trash and yes, he's probably worse than a guy like Carr. Get well Scandrick, please.

I mean there really isn't one thing you can point to in this game that you can say, job well done. Maybe Lawrence. Probably Bailey. That's about it.

My issue with the its only one game thinking is that this isn't just a one off issue here or there. There are serious problems on both offense and defense and at least from the defensive side of the ball, people were probably wrongfully expecting this defense would be much better when they didn't actually add any real elite talent that could transform the defense. They added a crap CB from Philly, a DE in the draft who probably isn't really a pass rusher, a washout DE in Moore, a LB in Smith who is coming off a major injury and is essentially a rookie, and some rookie DBs. Reality is we should have expected this D was going to be exactly like last year's.

Just so frustrating.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
I am sure there are some that will put a nice spin on it, giving the old, "it's only one game" angle for an embarrassing loss, but there are some realities here:

1) Another big game, another slow start. That's mostly coaching and preparation. The game plan was typically disappointing and neither Marinelli or Linehan had much of anything in terms of adjustments. They got their ***** handed to them by a new coaching staff. Games like this are why I am in the camp that I have serious doubts Garrett can ever take this team beyond an early playoff loss.

2) We may have a QB problem. People are falling over themselves to blame everyone but Dak, and while offensive play is spread around to the OL and WRs, Dak was dreadful today himself and that's now two games in a row he has not looked right. He looks skittish in the pocket at times now, he seems to have little confidence at all to throw the ball anywhere beyond 7 yards and he seems quick to just find his short outlet guy and send it there. At one point, his YPA was a dreadful 4.9. That's awful. Like Brandon Weeden awful. He better get this fixed or the reality is our QB position might not be solved for the next 7 years like people think.

4) This OL might have been the most embarrassing aspect of all. Supposed best OL in football just got their ***** handed to them for 60 minutes. I guess the experts were right when they said we'd have issues replacing Leary and Free. It certainly showed today. And we still have some very good DLs coming up - KC, Philly, etc. It could get ugly if they don't want up in those games.

5) The pass rush is exactly the same as it always has been. Which is to say mediocre. It's the same guys from last year and all we added was another SDE to the mix in Charlton. I am not sure why anyone thought it would be better. Watch teams like KC, Denver even Philly. They have guys on the DL who are just so quick with their first steps and they just smother the pocket. We don't do that because we simply lack talent at DL to get after the passer.

6) LBs had a bad game, Lee especially given he's supposed to be the vet leader out there.

7) I am pretty much at wits end with Jones. I keep hoping the light bulb will go off and I am not at the point where I just have to accept it won't. Heath is a middling player himself. So many mistakes and missed tackles. How you guys liking that Carroll signing? I warned you and yet the FO homers kept telling me that Carroll was a quality player that would benefit playing here for Marinelli. Basically, because the FO signed him, therefore, he must be a solid player. I watched him for 2 years. He's trash and yes, he's probably worse than a guy like Carr. Get well Scandrick, please.

I mean there really isn't one thing you can point to in this game that you can say, job well done. Maybe Lawrence. Probably Bailey. That's about it.

My issue with the its only one game thinking is that this isn't just a one off issue here or there. There are serious problems on both offense and defense and at least from the defensive side of the ball, people were probably wrongfully expecting this defense would be much better when they didn't actually add any real elite talent that could transform the defense. They added a crap CB from Philly, a DE in the draft who probably isn't really a pass rusher, a washout DE in Moore, a LB in Smith who is coming off a major injury and is essentially a rookie, and some rookie DBs. Reality is we should have expected this D was going to be exactly like last year's.

Just so frustrating.
I agree with all of this but everytime I see something about Heath I always remember when Nick Eatman said people were being racially bias towards Heath. He just isn't that good unfortunately and race got nothing to do with it. Looks at Jones and the fact he isn't that good either.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is one of those games in high school or college where you throw the tape away, break their backs the next two practices, and move on as quickly as possible.

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
I agree with your sentiments, however I think we don't we have a QB problem - yet. We do need to start getting the ball down the field or it will start to shrink and any running game advantage we have will be gone. Better get used to seeing a safety in the box until we back teams off.

J817

Reaction score
Your numbers 1 and 2 assessments are linked.

Sydla

Reaction score
I agree with all of this but everytime I see something about Heath I always remember when Nick Eatman said people were being racially bias towards Heath. He just isn't that good unfortunately and race got nothing to do with it. Looks at Jones and the fact he isn't that good either.

Our safety play is pretty shabby at this point.

Honestly, we might have to overhaul the secondary again this offseason. I hope it starts with Carroll. He's total trash.

Sydla

Reaction score
I agree with your sentiments, however I think we don't we have a QB problem - yet. We do need to start getting the ball down the field or it will start to shrink and any running game advantage we have will be gone. Better get used to seeing a safety in the box until we back teams off.

The question hasn't been answer but as I said in another thread, my concern level on a scale of 1-10 is now a 7. The scary thing is we are seeing what the scouts said were his weaknesses that made him a 3rd round pick.

That's alarming to me.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Just so frustrating.
Lets just hope this was our 1992 Eagles game. We had no business playing like that today

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
This is one of those games in high school or college where you throw the tape away, break their backs the next two practices, and move on as quickly as possible.

This is one of those games when lots of people should be admitting how wrong they were.

cml750

Reaction score

Just so frustrating.
Excellent post! I agree with everything you said!

Sydla

Reaction score
I don't think its out of the realm of possibility that the "experts" who were predicting 9 wins or so are pretty close to being right.

There are a lot of holes on this team including the OL, which is supposed to be our strength.