That's an alarming slap back to reality

kumizi

Reaction score
Good points.

A good homer test if someone tries to refute points 5 and 7. Then you know they no football integrity. This defensive line and secondary is garbage.

plymkr

Reaction score
I am sure there are some that will put a nice spin on it, giving the old, "it's only one game" angle for an embarrassing loss, but there are some realities here:

1) Another big game, another slow start. That's mostly coaching and preparation. The game plan was typically disappointing and neither Marinelli or Linehan had much of anything in terms of adjustments. They got their ***** handed to them by a new coaching staff. Games like this are why I am in the camp that I have serious doubts Garrett can ever take this team beyond an early playoff loss.

2) We may have a QB problem. People are falling over themselves to blame everyone but Dak, and while offensive play is spread around to the OL and WRs, Dak was dreadful today himself and that's now two games in a row he has not looked right. He looks skittish in the pocket at times now, he seems to have little confidence at all to throw the ball anywhere beyond 7 yards and he seems quick to just find his short outlet guy and send it there. At one point, his YPA was a dreadful 4.9. That's awful. Like Brandon Weeden awful. He better get this fixed or the reality is our QB position might not be solved for the next 7 years like people think.

3) I have no idea what to think of Zeke.

4) This OL might have been the most embarrassing aspect of all. Supposed best OL in football just got their ***** handed to them for 60 minutes. I guess the experts were right when they said we'd have issues replacing Leary and Free. It certainly showed today. And we still have some very good DLs coming up - KC, Philly, etc. It could get ugly if they don't want up in those games.

5) The pass rush is exactly the same as it always has been. Which is to say mediocre. It's the same guys from last year and all we added was another SDE to the mix in Charlton. I am not sure why anyone thought it would be better. Watch teams like KC, Denver even Philly. They have guys on the DL who are just so quick with their first steps and they just smother the pocket. We don't do that because we simply lack talent at DL to get after the passer.

6) LBs had a bad game, Lee especially given he's supposed to be the vet leader out there.

7) I am pretty much at wits end with Jones. I keep hoping the light bulb will go off and I am not at the point where I just have to accept it won't. Heath is a middling player himself. So many mistakes and missed tackles. How you guys liking that Carroll signing? I warned you and yet the FO homers kept telling me that Carroll was a quality player that would benefit playing here for Marinelli. Basically, because the FO signed him, therefore, he must be a solid player. I watched him for 2 years. He's trash and yes, he's probably worse than a guy like Carr. Get well Scandrick, please.

I mean there really isn't one thing you can point to in this game that you can say, job well done. Maybe Lawrence. Probably Bailey. That's about it.

My issue with the its only one game thinking is that this isn't just a one off issue here or there. There are serious problems on both offense and defense and at least from the defensive side of the ball, people were probably wrongfully expecting this defense would be much better when they didn't actually add any real elite talent that could transform the defense. They added a crap CB from Philly, a DE in the draft who probably isn't really a pass rusher, a washout DE in Moore, a LB in Smith who is coming off a major injury and is essentially a rookie, and some rookie DBs. Reality is we should have expected this D was going to be exactly like last year's.

Just so frustrating.
On the positive side of things maybe this is a good slap to reality. I hope this gets the guys focused and they prepare better for NFC teams. We'll be alright. Sometimes a humbling loss is what the doctor ordered. I'd rather lose in September and be humbled then go 13-3 and be one and done in the playoffs.

Right now I would predict a 10-6 or 9-7 season with winning the NFC East and a playoff game, maybe making it to the NFC title game depending on seating. This loss may have been painful but necessary in the grand scheme of the season.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
In response to # 2 , this is about the 4th game including last year that Dak has that deer in the headlights look. Hopefully he rebounds.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Our safety play is pretty shabby at this point.

Honestly, we might have to overhaul the secondary again this offseason. I hope it starts with Carroll. He's total trash.
  • They probably planned on Carroll being a great player for many years and just drafted 3 CBs to use on the scout team....

Sydla

Reaction score
  • They probably planned on Carroll being a great player for many years and just drafted 3 CBs to use on the scout team....

Safeties are also part of the secondary and right now we have two mediocre to poor ones. And they clearly like Carroll and think he can play, because they've dropped their pants in multiple offseasons trying to land him.

This offseason you might need to bring in two safeties with some talent to, at least, push for starting jobs and likely find a new starting CB for Carroll (hopefully he's already on the team in Awuzie).

So in reality, you might be looking at a situation where you would need to upgrade 3 of the 4 starting secondary positions this offseason. You would like to hope that you have a replacement CB on the roster and maybe Woods can unseat Heath.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
This is one of those games in high school or college where you throw the tape away, break their backs the next two practices, and move on as quickly as possible.

Normally, I would agree with you here Idgit but you know what? I seriously think that Dak and his position coach should take this tape and watch it every week. There is a lot to learn here for Dak. It sucks watching these kinds of games but for a young player, it's an education that can be priceless for you, in your development. JMO.

InDakWeTrust

DezBRomo9
Reaction score
This was a 2009-2013 level letdown. Like one with Garrett calling the plays. We pretty much chose to run the ball out of the same formations, use virtually zero play action or roll outs early and do nothing to eliminate teeing off by Miller and Barrett by running draws or screens.
Arizona will be a good test for this offense, and hopefully a bounce back game for the D .

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Garrett is a mediocre coach. We do start slow often and we do not adjust. I think that's part of his philosophy. Just beat them. Don't necessarily try to outscheme them.

I'm usually supportive of him, but I'm getting back to my first impression of him. He's average and I doubt that he can take us to the next level. The Green Bay playoff loss was an inexcusable display of not being prepared.

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
"Oh There Goes Gravity....."

Ugly game... HORRIFIC PLAY CALLING, BAD CALLS, RAIN DELAY... bottom line is that every weakness that we have got exposed and we could not exploit their weakness.

We walked into a hornest nest. Tough place to play and tough match up.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I guess alot of you are taking coach McAdoo's pep talk pretty serious about the second game being the most important.

Lol, I get it we sucked and alarm bells are ringing but lets hold on before we proclaim 5-11 or disaster. The offense and Dak need work but its not over yet. Everyone here knows our oline is better than that. We won't go many weeks with that lack of a run game and that much pressure on Dak. We just played 2 phenomenal defenses. Unfortunately weve got two more up to bat lol
I believe McAdoo meant the second game against a division rival is more important than the first, not the second game of the season.

T-RO

Reaction score
I do and I said at the start, the secondary might need an overhaul, and last time I checked, safeties are part of the secondary.

Also any secondary that had Nolan Carroll starting at outside CB for them should be viewed as a problem.

Carroll was secured as a bridge player to hold us over until our rookies are ready.

Denver has two all-pro caliber receivers and Boys were w/out Scandrick, w/out Awuzie and Carroll was in and out of the line-up. (mostly out). So...3/4 of our CBs were out and one playing in his first game w/out benefit of training camp.

Sorry but criticism of our secondary at this point is silly.

Sydla

Reaction score
Carroll was secured as a bridge player to hold us over until our rookies are ready.

Denver has two all-pro caliber receivers and Boys were w/out Scandrick, w/out Awuzie and Carroll was in and out of the line-up. (mostly out). So...3/4 of our CBs were out and one playing in his first game w/out benefit of training camp.

Sorry but criticism of our secondary at this point is silly.

Carroll is a horrible bridge player though. His being out is a blessing.

And any strategy that calls for rookies making a sizable impact was a very risky strategy.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
"Oh There Goes Gravity....."

Ugly game... HORRIFIC PLAY CALLING, BAD CALLS, RAIN DELAY... bottom line is that every weakness that we have got exposed and we could not exploit their weakness.

We walked into a hornest nest. Tough place to play and tough match up.

But a crappy 0-2 Charger team almost beat them if not for a blocked FG.

You guys are making it out to be like we played against Elway and Terrel Davis. Denver probably is not even going to make the playoffs, they are third in the division at best.

That is what is most disheartening

jjktkk

Reaction score
Carroll is a horrible bridge player though. His being out is a blessing.

And any strategy that calls for rookies making a sizable impact was a very risky strategy.

You definitely are a glutton for punishment. Didn't you already get beat up in your previous secondary sucks, whine thread? Maybe you're like an old black and white television set that just needs a little whack on the back of the head to start working properly again. None of these rookies were going to start, or get more significant playing time, unless injuries dictate that they do, which of course happened. Why can't you comprehend this? Its fairly common place in the NFL, where injuries to starters force inexperienced, or rookie players into bigger roles.