The 21st century Dallas Cowboys have been a joke

Proximo

Reaction score
Those that are doing that comparison are doing so without either actually thinking about what they're saying or are that upset that they are making bogus comparisons. The browns for the last TWENTY seasons have had exactly ONE winning season, and ONE playoff appearance and have had the worst record in the league 4 times. The Cowboys have had 15 winning seasons, been to the playoffs 9 times and had the worst record once, 1989. So are you really going to try and say the Cowboys are as bad as the Browns have been for the past twenty years? I get that some fair weather fans are upset but comparing the Cowboys to the browns is like saying blue is really just a different shade of green.

Thank you.
I was starting to feel like I’m in the twilight zone, trying to talk sense into these people.

Proximo

Reaction score
There's a fan on here that calls everybody haters and whines non stop. Now that we're on a losing streak he vanished. His name is @Rockport. What's your point again?

Yes, there are folks on that end of the spectrum, too.
What’s your point again?

Proximo

Reaction score
That yours was pointless due to that little fact

You either missed my point entirely or didn’t read the thread (i.e., you’re taking my post out of context).

I was making an observation, not an absolute statement.

The fact that there are folks on the other end of the spectrum does not negate said observation.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
You either missed my point entirely or didn’t read the thread (i.e., you’re taking my post out of context).

The fact that there are folks on the other end of the spectrum does not negate said observation.
No I've read the entire thread

408Cowboy

Reaction score

I read it again just for you. The fact that you can't see how a once proud franchise has fallen to the abyss of mediocrity is relatable to the Browns another once proud franc.....

Nevermind you won't get it due to willful ignorance.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Those that are doing that comparison are doing so without either actually thinking about what they're saying or are that upset that they are making bogus comparisons. The browns for the last TWENTY seasons have had exactly ONE winning season, and ONE playoff appearance and have had the worst record in the league 4 times. The Cowboys have had 15 winning seasons, been to the playoffs 9 times and had the worst record once, 1989. So are you really going to try and say the Cowboys are as bad as the Browns have been for the past twenty years? I get that some fair weather fans are upset but comparing the Cowboys to the browns is like saying blue is really just a different shade of green.

I think it's been clearly established the Cowboys have been better than the Browns.

NFC championship game appearances since the Cowboys last played in one (1995-96):

Packers (5)
Eagles (5)
Vikings (4)
Giants (3)
Saints (3)
Seahawks (3)
Panthers (3)

The Panthers didn't even exist the last time Dallas played in the NFCCG. Only two other teams - the Lions and Commanders - have gone longer without reaching the NFCCG.

But at least we're not the Browns. Thanks, Jerry. :rolleyes:

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
No fair weather fan would ever stay a Cowboy fan this long. And yes the Cowboys aren't as bad as the Browns. That isn't saying much. Only Detroit and Washington have failed to reach the NFCCG as long as the Cowboys. Don't care about overall records. I care about playoff success and the Cowboys are awful there this century. On the few occasions they have a good year they wet the bed in the playoffs. We were 13-3 twice this century and each time lost the first game. That's disgusting. And JG has never had back to back playoff years.

You don't get it. Fair weather fans aren't really Cowboys fans, they only claim to be when they are winning. When they're not they then show themselves for what they are.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I would agree with this. We shouldn’t be compared with the Browns this era. It hasn’t been that bad.

We’ve been much more average than bad. We’ve actually had a couple of decent teams that simply didn’t meet their potential.

But it’s not been of the championship caliber we grew more accustomed to first 4 decades. And why many fans compare this era to other more average to dormant franchises.

Lets take a little closer look at those first 4 decades. Didn't win or go to any Super Bowls in the 60's, although they did play for and lost 2 NFL championships. Went to 4 Super Bowls winning 2 and losing 2 in the 70's. Nothing in the 80's. The 90's they went to 3 and won all 3. Now people talk about this long drought and how it used to be. Well the Cowboys went from Super Bowl XII for the 79 season all the way until Super Bowl XXVII before going to another Super Bowl. That's 15 years. Yes it's been a little longer now but don't say or imply that the Cowboys have never had a long stretch of no championship seasons. It was great in the 90's winning Super Bowls 3 out of 4 years but the bad thing is fans got spoiled by that and then expected the Cowboys to repeat that over and over and not taking into consideration the advent of the salary cap that had decimated the Cowboys until just last season.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
You don't get it. Fair weather fans aren't really Cowboys fans, they only claim to be when they are winning. When they're not they then show themselves for what they are.

You don't get it. Fair weather fans wouldn't be hanging around on this board in 2019. They'd be on Twitter praising the Patriots.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Lets take a little closer look at those first 4 decades. Didn't win or go to any Super Bowls in the 60's, although they did play for and lost 2 NFL championships. Went to 4 Super Bowls winning 2 and losing 2 in the 70's. Nothing in the 80's. The 90's they went to 3 and won all 3. Now people talk about this long drought and how it used to be. Well the Cowboys went from Super Bowl XII for the 79 season all the way until Super Bowl XXVII before going to another Super Bowl. That's 15 years. Yes it's been a little longer now but don't say or imply that the Cowboys have never had a long stretch of no championship seasons. It was great in the 90's winning Super Bowls 3 out of 4 years but the bad thing is fans got spoiled by that and then expected the Cowboys to repeat that over and over and not taking into consideration the advent of the salary cap that had decimated the Cowboys until just last season.
The 80’s we went to 3 straight championship games. IMO that is something . My measurement isn’t just Super Bowls. Its playing for championships which we begin doing in 1966 and did in every decade until 21st Century.

The Salary Cap is a lame excuse. The rest of the league has to deal with it too.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
It was great in the 90's winning Super Bowls 3 out of 4 years but the bad thing is fans got spoiled by that and then expected the Cowboys to repeat that over and over and not taking into consideration the advent of the salary cap that had decimated the Cowboys until just last season.

It took the Cowboys 25 years to figure out the salary cap? :muttley:

That speaks volumes about the Jones Family mismanagement, and the inability to play in any sort of a championship game in over 20 years.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
I understand it. Fair weather fans wouldn't even show up here until the Cowboys win something of substance. The ones that are complaining are here every week win or lose. They are disgruntled fans not fair weather fans. Fair weather fans wouldn't care until the Cowboys did something. So in other words they'd disappear and never come back.

I'll give you an example of fair weather fans. Back in the late 80's it was hard to find Cowboy fans outside Texas. I was ridiculed a lot. After the team started winning everyone jumped on the bandwagon. Those are fair weather fans.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
I think it's been clearly established the Cowboys have been better than the Browns.

NFC championship game appearances since the Cowboys last played in one (1995-96):

Packers (5)
Eagles (5)
Vikings (4)
Giants (3)
Saints (3)
Seahawks (3)
Panthers (3)

The Panthers didn't even exist the last time Dallas played in the NFCCG. Only two other teams - the Lions and Commanders - have gone longer without reaching the NFCCG.

But at least we're not the Browns. Thanks, Jerry. :rolleyes:
Let's continue with the rest of the teams:

49ers (4)
Falcons (4)
Rams (3)
Bears (2)
Bucs (2)
Cardinals (2)

So every team except the Cowboys, Lions and Commanders have been in the NFC Championship game multiple times since the Cowboys last appeared.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
............and Garrett survives yet another week
The overall team performed at a high level (for four quarters even) and the victory ended a three-game losing streak. It has been my long running contention the team must both lose 5-7 consecutive games and players visibly reject Jason Garrett's leadership before Jerry Jones would consider canning him.

Both of those conditions were reset to zero. In my opinion, the earliest projection of an in-season Garrett firing is now set for either the Bills or Bears game following a complete reversal of what happened last night. I think that is highly unlikely. Additionally, I can see the team performing well enough to save Garrett's job for the entire regular season and allow him to retain it despite anything that happens in the postseason if Dallas gets there.

Last night's game was exactly the type for why I created the You Want Garrett Fired thread. The final and only decision maker, who will fire or keep Garrett on the payroll, is Jones. I can easily see the team enjoying a few more performances like last night, which will influence Jones enough into seeking a contract extension for Garrett during the offseason. Anyone believing there is no way Garrett keeps his job for [fill in the blank] reason may want to prepare for what they should already expect.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
This is why I laugh when I see fans on here making belittling comments of the Browns or Bengals. I consider us in the same category as them and so do a majority of young NFL fans.

You are correct, this team is not better than a combined two team record of 2-11, lol.