The 3 main reasons this Offense is inconsistent, mediocre, and ugly to watch at times

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
I am not a fan of Linehan or Garrett as coaches. But, in some ways I think they are limited by Dak as well. I don't think they play to Dak's strengths, but I also think they feel limited with Dak as well. So it is a 3-way issue in that regard.
I am starting to loss a little confidence in Dak. Many times he does have to dump the ball off because of the pressure, but there are times he tends to check it down when he should be throwing the ball down field. He had some bad throws vs the Skins, hopefully he can clean some of that up before NO’s.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
#1. Linehan and Garrett run a basic predictable offense. They do not do a good job of scheming guys open( this is why Cooper is such a good pickup, he gets open with his ability only). Garrett gets extremely conservative at the end of games we are leading in. The only time they allow Dak to go no huddle is at the end of games when we are behind( Dak is at his best in no huddle, in my opinion). We do not run enough play action on 1st and 2nd down( again we are predictable, all the good offenses are NOT predictable ).
#2. The pass blocking is bad way to often. (Some of this is on the coaches though. See #1. We are predictable) Sometimes, Dak does hold onto the ball to long.
#3. We have a very weak intermediate/long passing game. Some of that is on Dak definitely, and some of it is on Garrett and Linehan, and some of it is because the O line breaks down to quickly. We don’t get enough chunk pass plays(take advantage of Zek’s run threat and go play action on early downs).
Everyone around here wants to blame one player or coach. This inconsistent, mediocre, and sometimes ugly( 3-4 three and outs tonight) Offense is due to 3 main factors. Me personally, I put the highest % of blame on Garrett and Linehan.

Yo mama!

waving monkey

Reaction score
Just because I didn't mention it during my post, doesn’t mean I didn’t have moments of happiness during the game, put the ugly offense, which will get killed by NO’s mediocre D, if we don’t start playing and especially coaching better, was more on my mind. I have high expectations for this team. I watch the game and look into the future. If we play like that vs a healthy team ( Skins were banged up) or a good team will we win. Whereas many fans, who post here, only look at the present. We won, great joy. No!, some joy but also constructive criticism too.

Sorry, if I didn’t jump for joy over this ugly offensive performance. I will jump for joy if we beat New Orleans.

We should all have high expectations shouldn’t we. That’s what I teach my kids!
Your reply holds a lot of merit my caveat is; right after the game i [personally] I reserve for celebration and good times.
You have a different view. I dont like jalapenos in my ice cream. Just different not wrong.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
You don’t get. It is not just about being predictable on Offense. It is about using schemes which give your players an advantage over the other teams players. The Rams consistently help their players get open using creative schemes. Do we? The reason Amari Cooper is doing so well is because he is a great athlete with amazing change of direction. Cooper is getting open with his ability not our scheme. Do you really think our scheme is comparable to the Rams?

He said scheme. The Rams run 4 basic concepts but they are all out of the same formation. Basically it's not the scheme. We could run our same plays like that too but linehan won't. Y'all people blame scheme like it doesn't work. I don't think you know what scheme is. The principles and scheme we run are fine if linehan would call a good game.

jblaze2004

Reaction score
all these reasons is why if we make it to the playoffs unless we have amazing defensive play and create turnovers, we will be 1 and done again. Go into the season with Garrett and Linehan again because "we made the playoffs".

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Now that is funny...hahaha.
Is this guy a warlock? What is a croc of 9 tails? Is he going to cast a spell on me? Turn me into a good little happy fan that always says, “thank Jason for being so nice and mediocre.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
He said scheme. The Rams run 4 basic concepts but they are all out of the same formation. Basically it's not the scheme. We could run our same plays like that too but linehan won't. Y'all people blame scheme like it doesn't work. I don't think you know what scheme is. The principles and scheme we run are fine if linehan would call a good game.
Oh, so now you are saying Linehan is predictable in how he calls plays. I agree completely.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Oh, so now you are saying Linehan is predictable in how he calls plays. I agree completely.

Linehan yes. The scheme or principles on what route combos we run are legit. You or me could use this scheme and call better plays. Tho linehan has been better lately.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Your reply holds a lot of merit my caveat is; right after the game i [personally] I reserve for celebration and good times.
You have a different view. I dont like jalapenos in my ice cream. Just different not wrong.
I appreciate your point of view. Let’s make a few Offensive adjustments then go out and beat the Saints! We do that and I will only be positive after the game.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Linehan yes. The scheme or principles on what route combos we run are legit. You or me could use this scheme and call better plays. Tho linehan has been better lately.
Honestly, I think our route combos are very simplistic compared to the better passing teams.

gmoney112

Reaction score
A simple addition would just be more playaction. We really should be running playaction on a near majority of dropbacks. I dont know if they just want Daks eyes in front, but he/we are typically very, very effective when we use it.

It's so easy, is really made for our use case (with teams eyeing Zeke so strongly), and Dak is so good at it, I don't know why we aren't #1 in playaction attempts. :(

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Honestly, I think our route combos are very simplistic compared to the better passing teams.

Na. They all aren't complicated. We are also limited to what Dak feels comfortable throwing, less deep balls more around 10 yards. We tend to run alot of outside stuff so either the receiver catches it or it's out of bounds. Ball security is #1 so tons of easy safe throws but or scheme dictates guys are beyond loss. We rushed to run alot of go routes, less so with Dak hence all the lb'rs and safeties killing us.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
How about enjoying 3 straight wins to teams we were supposed to lose to.
Just for for the night.

Start your negative crap tomorrow or the next day.
Cowboys were a touchdown favorite against the Commanders.

Dre11

Reaction score
The coaches are just inept.

They get production because Jerry provides them with talent.

Linehan is so bad about getting cute inside the 5.

Someone needs to tell the guy to run it 4 times if need be.

Are you fools really this stupid? Why in the hell do any of you watch football? You'll sound like a bunch of teenagers

Dre11

Reaction score
#1. Linehan and Garrett run a basic predictable offense. They do not do a good job of scheming guys open( this is why Cooper is such a good pickup, he gets open with his ability only). Garrett gets extremely conservative at the end of games we are leading in. The only time they allow Dak to go no huddle is at the end of games when we are behind( Dak is at his best in no huddle, in my opinion). We do not run enough play action on 1st and 2nd down( again we are predictable, all the good offenses are NOT predictable ).
#2. The pass blocking is bad way to often. (Some of this is on the coaches though. See #1. We are predictable) Sometimes, Dak does hold onto the ball to long.
#3. We have a very weak intermediate/long passing game. Some of that is on Dak definitely, and some of it is on Garrett and Linehan, and some of it is because the O line breaks down to quickly. We don’t get enough chunk pass plays(take advantage of Zek’s run threat and go play action on early downs).
Everyone around here wants to blame one player or coach. This inconsistent, mediocre, and sometimes ugly( 3-4 three and outs tonight) Offense is due to 3 main factors. Me personally, I put the highest % of blame on Garrett and Linehan.

****, relieve your misery