The 3 reasons we lost that game to the Cards

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Imagine blaming the defense for losing TOP when the offense scored 7 POINTS thru the first 3 quarters of the game.

How many 3 n outs did we suffer thru?

How many crucial OL penalties?

Dak fumble ring a bell?

Cmon man. Give me a break.

Heck, the 2nd offensive TD came from being gifted the ball by the defense and special teams at the Zona 32.
The Dak fumble was mentioned in the reasons we lost. As well as the offensive ineptitude. And the defensive ineptitude. And the ST ineptitude. I did forget to add the dropped int in the end zone which would’ve saved us 3 points. Not sure I understand the “give me a break” comment?

Smith22

Reaction score
The Dak fumble was mentioned in the reasons we lost. As well as the offensive ineptitude. And the defensive ineptitude. And the ST ineptitude. I did forget to add the dropped int in the end zone which would’ve saved us 3 points. Not sure I understand the “give me a break” comment?
You clearly listed TOP under defense.

My point is, when you have an offense who runs no huddle most of the game, and that offense scores 7 points in 3 quarters, THE OFFENSE has more to do with that TOP issue. And the next td drive wasn't exactly a clock eater since they got the ball at the Arizona 32.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Technically the defense lost us this game. 22 to 25 with 3 + minutes to go, all you need is a stop.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You clearly listed TOP under defense.

My point is, when you have an offense who runs no huddle most of the game, and that offense scores 7 points in 3 quarters, THE OFFENSE has more to do with that TOP issue. And the next td drive wasn't exactly a clock eater since they got the ball at the Arizona 32.
Ok. Right. The offense was not good. Neither was the defense or STs. This was a team failure in every way.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
You made some legit points Bob, and now that I think about it, what team is gold this year? Green Bay is close, but it seems like their luck is going to run out soon. To me the team that "does not turn the ball over" the team that is the healthiest, the team with the least penalties, and the team that makes the least mental mistakes on the field will win the title. Details are key, and we failed mostly at details yesterday. Example, missed field goal, Dak fumble, penalties, defense calling timeout because they weren't ready. Things of that nature.

ESisback

Reaction score
The 3 reasons we lost that game yesterday- we played poorly in all 3 phases of the game:
  1. Offense didn’t play well enough.
  2. Defense didn’t play well enough.
  3. STs did not play well enough.
Btw, none of the reasons include the refs.
Let us examine why in these three phases of the game we failed:
OFFENSE:
  • Had 3 dropped passes.
  • Dak’s fumble in the 4th qtr.
  • Terrible run blocking by the OL. (Avg less than 3 yds per rush)
  • Poor pre-snap communication forcing hurried snaps to beat the play clock.
  • Was 3-11 on third down conversions
DEFENSE
  • Gave up 399 yards.
  • Allowed 7 third down conversions including two in the critical last 4 min.
  • Had one sack and no TO’s.
  • Allowed 35 min in TOP.
  • Allowed a backup WR to have a career day including 2 TDs.
  • Forced to use a critical timeout in 3rd qtr that killed us in the end.
  • Had 4 min and some change and the end to force a stop and didn’t get it done.
ST’s
  • Greg “Lou” Zuerleine missed a make-able 43 yard FG in first qtr.
  • Gave up a critical fake punt conversion in the first half on Cards 91 yd drive.
NONE OF THESE REASONS INCLUDE THE REFS. Yes we had some bad calls including that missed fumble….welcome to the NFL! If we hadn’t wasted a timeout earlier we could’ve challenged that.

Let’s all be adults here and admit…we got outplayed in all three phases of the game. That is why we lost.
Agreed!

Of course, if Z makes that FG, we’re tied…(runs)…

Landryhat73

Reaction score
The 3 reasons we lost that game yesterday- we played poorly in all 3 phases of the game:
OFFENSE:
  • Had 3 dropped passes.
DEFENSE
  • Gave up 399 yards.
  • Allowed 35 min in TOP.
ST’s
  • Gave up a critical fake punt conversion in the first half on Cards 91 yd drive.
NONE OF THESE REASONS INCLUDE THE REFS. Yes we had some bad calls including that missed fumble….welcome to the NFL! If we hadn’t wasted a timeout earlier we could’ve challenged that.

Let’s all be adults here and admit…we got outplayed in all three phases of the game. That is why we lost.
Not blaming the loss on the refs but on the first 4 drives we have 4 third down penalties. This led to multiple 3rd and longs instead of 1st downs.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
like most big games we lose...empty trips into the red zone....failure to make a stop when we either need the ball back or have the lead and trying to end the game.
we need to almost be perfect in the red zone and we gotta get the other guys off the field late.

And either miss field goals or extra points.

GoCowboysGo

Reaction score
Post of the year! :hammer:

OFFENSE:
  • Had 3 dropped passes.
DEFENSE
  • Gave up 399 yards.
  • Allowed 35 min in TOP.
ST’s

coult44

Reaction score
OFFENSE:
  • Had 3 dropped passes.
DEFENSE
  • Gave up 399 yards.
  • Allowed 35 min in TOP.
ST’s

You are correct. But If the fumble play, the out of bounds play, the holding for a safety play, all are called correctly, we win!!!

Brax

Reaction score
Wow. So the defense doesn’t matter to the success of our team? Gotta disagree with you on that one brother.
Kinda funny about the D,all as we heard was all the O needed was a middle of the road D but when the O doesn't show up for 3 quarters even top 10 D's will have problems. Now it's the D needs to the 85 bears LMAO,looks like the real key to Dallas success is playing a team decimated with injuries,sickness, and PS QB's and D's playing 3rd stringers. Maybe the stars will align, and the playoff opponents will be down to 3rd stringers and PS pick up QB's due to sickness.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Wow. So the defense doesn’t matter to the success of our team? Gotta disagree with you on that one brother.

As always, you have a great post with reasonable take on the situation. I do agree at the big picture level however I believe you are overlooking the breadth of @CATCH17's statement. If the offense is better, AZ doesn't get as many opportunities and our defense is less winded. In other words, the offense's complete ineptness is directly correlated to the defense looking worse than they probably were.

As for the QB play, I don't see how anyone can watch this team from the Denver game forward and not agree that for whatever reason(s) he is not playing at even a mediocre level. A few plays here & there can completely change the game and he isn't making enough to back defenses out of their stop the run & sit on every short & mid route philosophy.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
We win if we have their OC instead of our's.

Our OC that kept getting guys into tons of space for an easy pitch and catch in big situations?

We just want to get rid of him now?

Kyler was the difference in the game. Not Offensive Coordinators.

cffl2323

Reaction score
Don't forget coaching/playcalling. I knew it wasn't looking good when Aikman called us out for telegraphing the first play that was almost picked off, then we opened the second series with an almost identical play that Baker over ran on his way to a pick six.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
No one mentions that was a pretty badass defensive play. I'm not sure if anyone could hang onto the ball.