The botched coin toss thread

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
So then you appear to be saying that Dak did not use the words “we’ll kick off” or “we want to kick off” when first asked what our preference was.

Is that what you’re saying? If you are that’s fine I just want to be clear as to what your point is

Dak - We want to kick it
Ref - you want to kick it ?
Dak - yes we want to defer.

Stop trying to say Dak messed up because of you guys need to ridicule him at every turn.

Is that clear enough?

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Dak - We want to kick it
Ref - you want to kick it ?
Dak - yes we want to defer.

Stop trying to say Dak messed up because of you guys need to ridicule him at every turn.

Is that clear enough?

Sure.
What's clear is you agree that Dak initially indicated a desire to kick, rather than defer.

Two very separate things.
Not a huge issue, as the Cowboys won convincingly and it didn't matter in the end.
But it's interesting that you refuse to admit Dak made a mistake and the league gave us a break.
That isn't "ridicule" it's an accurate assessment based on teh transcript of the conversation.

Glad we agree.

pugilist

Stick N Move
Reaction score
take the 2nd layer choice out of it and make the 2nd half possession an automatic default based on who gets the ball 1st in the first half

easy peasy

scenario:

<Team A wins coin toss>

Ref: "Team A, offense or defense first?"
Team A: "offense."
Ref: "Team A has elected to receive. Team B you get the ball to start 2nd half."
Team B. "Cool. I like tacos."

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Since when did it become expected that the officials hold the players hands and council them on how to make the choice?

If Anderson had just accepted the initial answer, which he could of and even should have done, there would have been nothing to review by the league office and the monumental blunder by the captains would have stood.

Even after taking them by the hand and kindly trying to make sure they knew what they wanted Anderson still got a confusing answer.

Apparently in today's society we can't be expected to complete a simple and routine task that requires the utterance of a single word from a choice of three without counseling.

Fascinating thread.
#stereotypesreinforced #thingssurehavechanged #feelingsruleliteraldrools

BoysForLife

Reaction score
We don't ......... But keep grasping at straws

We agree that Dak's original statement was a desire to kick.

you just refuse to admit that was a mistake by Dak that we caught a break on.
But we are not disagreeing about what was said.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
We agree that Dak's original statement was a desire to kick.

you just refuse to admit that was a mistake by Dak that we caught a break on.
But we are not disagreeing about what was said.

https://encrypted-tbn0.***NOT-ALLOWED***/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcSeOXGfdbn3oSLP5JDr4YtmlHYkzuzi3eKeirfWrRkbI6TwfdEm

AbeBeta

Reaction score
In the end I'm glad they ruled the way they did. The real mess up was that the Rams didn't find out they weren't getting the ball until after halftime. That should have been cleared up early. Rams may have played the last two minutes differently if they knew they weren't getting the ball after halftime.

How differently would the Rams have played it? They were down 2 scores when they got the ball with two minutes left.

Regardless of the kickoff situation, they are going to push to put points on the board to end the half.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
How differently would the Rams have played it? They were down 2 scores when they got the ball with two minutes left.

Regardless of the kickoff situation, they are going to push to put points on the board to end the half.

I doubt they would have actually played it differently. I was only saying that hypothetically.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
First time in my life I see a sport where a team can kick off both halves. :huh:

I thought it is automatic when a team chooses to kick-off a half, the other team kicks off the other half :huh:

I call it over-regulating, or too much technicality, or COMPLEX

:cool:
I went to one of my nephew's games, and they did a coin flip at the start of each half. I was flabbergasted. How in the world is that sportsmanlike?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

BoysForLife

Reaction score
https://encrypted-tbn0.***NOT-ALLOWED***/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcSeOXGfdbn3oSLP5JDr4YtmlHYkzuzi3eKeirfWrRkbI6TwfdEm

AGain, glad we agree. Straw deflection technique and all, glad we agree.
Dak stated a preference to kick. Period.

Fritsch_the_cat

Reaction score
I thought this was a bad omen yesterday, thinking to myself, "This team can even screw up the coin toss" and figured it was going to be a bad day, but maybe they need to do this every game.