The Carton Show: Rumors of Dak Prescott being traded to the Raiders are floating around

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Nobody want to be someplace they are not wanted. Dak already knows most of the fan base is over him and if he feels Jerry is kicking the tires he would probably consider a trade.

A change of scenery would do everyone some good.
are you sure most of the fan base is over him? there is die hard cowboys fans that want to move on, but there are a large group that don't care one way or other. even on this board there are supporters.

and change of scenery has done a lot of former cowboys good. cowboys is not where you go to win championships. its where you go to make money and market yourself.

Big_D

Reaction score
If the Cowboys trade Dak, the team he goes to will have to give up multiple early round draft picks to Dallas.

Would Dak and his agent find going to a team like that wise? He would end up with even less support than he has now with the Cowboys with no 1st round help in sight until what, 2026?

On the flip side of that he'll get to choose from whatever options are available. The Cowboys aren't exactly a powerhouse at the moment. So 1 year risk injury or get that money and a fresh start somewhere. It's definitely not a cut and dry situation.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
On the flip side of that he'll get to choose from whatever options are available. The Cowboys aren't exactly a powerhouse at the moment. So 1 year risk injury or get that money and a fresh start somewhere. It's definitely not a cut and dry situation.
At this point I think the only way Dallas trades Dak is if they get a similar package the Lions got from the Rams for Matthew Stafford. That means at least a 1st and 2nd in 2024, a 1st and a later pick in 2025, and a 2nd in 2026.

Sounds steep but teams needing a franchise QB will pull the trigger on that deal, especially if they have tradeable assets themselves that can get some of those picks back.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
just extend him and bring jason garrett back too, it won't make any difference. You'll just be pissing another year away.

Big_D

Reaction score
At this point I think the only way Dallas trades Dak is if they get a similar package the Lions got from the Rams for Matthew Stafford. That means at least a 1st and 2nd in 2024, a 1st and a later pick in 2025, and a 2nd in 2026.

Sounds steep but teams needing a franchise QB will pull the trigger on that deal, especially if they have tradeable assets themselves that can get some of those picks back.

We'll find out in about 2 and a half weeks. I really don't see it happening either because a lot has to be worked out. It would be interesting to see what a team is willing to give up though.

Motorola

Reaction score
I wouldnt say Jerry has 'ALL the Leverage', but he certainly has some, with the option of the post-June cut being a factor. If we enact this cut (especially if we do it late), it'll mean Dak's $29m out of pocket this year....WITH NO TEAM WITH $29M spare cash to pay him, if his intention is to hit Free Agency in 2025. None of the teams with any serious CAP space isnt in a 2024 ALL-IN scenario.

The Raiders may have the Need and 'spare money', but id imagine they'd look to the draft and wait on Dak to become a FA, rather than spend their remaining $19m on one year.
The Raiders have already set out on their path to find their next QB.
Last month they signed Gardner Minshew to a 2-year deal to compete with Aiden O'Connell to be QB1 for 2024 - and perhaps the bridge QB role if Las Vegas selects one in the first round of the upcoming draft.
New GM Tom Telesco and new HC Antonio Pierce are pondering a couple of decisions:
1) move up from their current 13th spot into the top 5 to select Jayden Daniels or Drake Maye;
2) Stand pat and see if if Michael Penix Jr. is still on the board when they are on the clock.

Either way --- Dak Prescott is not in their plans to become a Raider.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
We'll find out in about 2 and a half weeks. I really don't see it happening either because a lot has to be worked out. It would be interesting to see what a team is willing to give up though.
No team is going to give up any significant assets for a 31 year old player whose team is willing to trade him, few teams are interested in, fewer teams can afford, and is going to be a free agent in eleven months. Some of the other 31 teams may be dumb, but none of them are stupid. They’ve seen, recently, where trades of this nature have not worked out and no GM wants to replicate that kind of move. The compensation for top players has increased so significantly in recent years it’s made early round draft picks more valuable than ever. Any team that thinks they’re close to winning a Super Bowl is close because they already have a quality quarterback, they don’t need Dak. Any team with good draft capital has it because they’re not very good, so they can’t afford to give up any of it. The trade market for Dak is virtually nil at the moment. The market for him as a free agent this time next year will be particularly lucrative. I’m sure this fact is not lost on Todd France. Is it worth risking injury, yes. (example Kirk Cousins). Does Dak care many fans would like to see him gone, no. Dak Prescott is not playing for the benefit of the Dallas Cowboys or their collectively ungrateful fans. He plays for the benefit of Dak Prescott. Any of the 32 teams will do. Cowboys fans think their favorite team is special. NFL caliber football players see it as just another team. Being a member of the Dallas Cowboys is no more significant than being a member of the Panthers, or Cardinals. It just isn’t.

Big_D

Reaction score
No team is going to give up any significant assets for a 31 year old player whose team is willing to trade him, few teams are interested in, fewer teams can afford, and is going to be a free agent in eleven months. Some of the other 31 teams may be dumb, but none of them are stupid. They’ve seen, recently, where trades of this nature have not worked out and no GM wants to replicate that kind of move. The compensation for top players has increased so significantly in recent years it’s made early round draft picks more valuable than ever. Any team that thinks they’re close to winning a Super Bowl is close because they already have a quality quarterback, they don’t need Dak. Any team with good draft capital has it because they’re not very good, so they can’t afford to give up any of it. The trade market for Dak is virtually nil at the moment. The market for him as a free agent this time next year will be particularly lucrative. I’m sure this fact is not lost on Todd France. Is it worth risking injury, yes. (example Kirk Cousins). Does Dak care many fans would like to see him gone, no. Dak Prescott is not playing for the benefit of the Dallas Cowboys or their collectively ungrateful fans. He plays for the benefit of Dak Prescott. Any of the 32 teams will do. Cowboys fans think their favorite team is special. NFL caliber football players see it as just another team. Being a member of the Dallas Cowboys is no more significant than being a member of the Panthers, or Cardinals. It just isn’t.

Teams do stupid things all the time. He might not be so quick to risk injury, then he's truly screwed as far as passing up what could be a 300 million dollar pay day.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
If you're looking at it through Romo Homer glasses, sure. He was pretty bad at them, consistently throwing behind the WR. Something to do w/ spatial recognition in his brain or something. I never could pinpoint why he wasn't good at them, but there's no doubt about it.
Dude, you can turn it around and say that you were looking at it through your anti-Romo glasses when you said all that BS. Whether it’s objectively true is what matters.

Last edited:

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Teams do stupid things all the time. He might not be so quick to risk injury, then he's truly screwed as far as passing up what could be a 300 million dollar pay day.
Cousins is injured every time the wind changes direction and despite being almost five years older than Dak, and coming off a recent injury, he signed for $100 million in guaranteed money. Jalen Hurts’ contract is $129 million guaranteed and he’s 10 years younger than Cousins and has been to a Super Bowl. Dak will sign for a lot of money next season, not for $300 million, but more than Cousins and Hurts, regardless of any injury he might suffer in the 2024 season. Prescott will never be afraid to play football and France will never be scared of an idiot franchise like the Dallas Cowboys. There will be no trade, Dak will be a free agent, and if the Cowboys want his services in the future all they have to do is make the offer Dak likes the most.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Yes. I do.

It’s simple.

Trade is the same cap hit as a cut.

Jerry wants draft picks.

The no trade / no tag clause is meaningless.

Jerry has all the leverage.

He always has.
Very delusional. If the no trade clause was meaning then why would there be one?

MojaveJT

Reaction score
I don’t understand why JJ ever agreed to the NTC. If France and Prescott required it then that says a lot about Dak. Smh.

Motorola

Reaction score
And what team(s) - besides the Cowboys - are willing to sign Prescott to that payday you just proposed?

Dorsett33

Reaction score
So essentially the defense was great the past two years, but Dak sucked, so the defense took the example of Dak and sucked just like him, “their leader”, this year..
Obviously you haven't played sports in your life cause there is more than one leader on a team. You're not qualified for this debate.

Dorsett33

Reaction score
Nope. I'm guessing you must've been a young kid during the Aikman years. Only explanation I can think of for not comprehending how good Aikman was.
I never said he wasn't good. I wasn't a kid and actually had more than 8 years of playing football experience under my belt. So...ummm Aikman couldn't have done what he did without that COMPLETE team. Before then...he sucked!

Big_D

Reaction score
And what team(s) - besides the Cowboys - are willing to sign Prescott to that payday you just proposed?

There's probably about a dozen teams who need a starting QB and maybe 3 of them will find one in the draft which leaves about 9 teams that could be desperate enough to make a move to solidify the position for a few years.