The Case Against an Earl Thomas Trade

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Actually Jeff Heath is an above average player with upside.

Huh? He ranks towards the bottom of safeties and is not an NFL caliber safety. Poor speed, tackling, instincts, takes poor angles and the list goes on. I have no idea which games you watch but he is pretty bad. Upside? This will be his 6th season. He has shown nothing at all to tell you he's above average or has any upside at all.

Verdict

Reaction score
Huh? He ranks towards the bottom of safeties and is not an NFL caliber safety. Poor speed, tackling, instincts, takes poor angles and the list goes on. I have no idea which games you watch but he is pretty bad. Upside? This will be his 6th season. He has shown nothing at all to tell you he's above average or has any upside at all.

We will just have to disagree Mr. Milsap.

J12B

Reaction score

He picked Alex Smith off to seal the Chiefs game, which was actually Alex Smith's first interception to throw in 2017.

Made a great interception against Aaron Rodgers late in the 3rd quarter of the playoffs the season before to keep the team in the game as they were trailing 28-13.

Running across the field forcing Derick Carr to dive at the 1 yard line causing him to fumble the ball out of bounds in the endzone which kept playoff hopes alive last year.

And he's a great special teams player.

Maybe you missed those games.

Last edited:

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Actually Jeff Heath is an above average player with upside.

He’s a good value, too.

No idea what people who think he’s a poor athlete are seeing. He’s a player who’s worked hard and gotten better every step of the way. Just like Barry Church did, and just like Kavon Frazier is doing behind him.

Verdict

Reaction score
He’s a good value, too.

No idea what people who think he’s a poor athlete are seeing. He’s a player who’s worked hard and gotten better every step of the way. Just like Barry Church did, and just like Kavon Frazier is doing behind him.
Yeah. I don't get the hate for him. He's an up and coming player who is a phenomenal athlete.

Playmaker3128

Reaction score
I’m not saying heath isn’t going to continue to develop as a player. However getting a player like earl Thomas could make take this defense from very good to potentially elite.

Just having a guy with his his skill set.... his experience and knowledge and his leadership would not only help short term but in the playoffs potentially as well.

I think it’s a move you make and worry about other stuff later. However I trust will McClay and our scouts more than I’ve trusted any regime over the past 20 years. I think we’re finally making decisions based on improving this team short and long term. So we’ll see what happens.

Flamma

Reaction score
You do realize a great safety makes your defense better, right? You don't think the impact players we already have will get even better? And the whole secondary will be that much better. You are seriously undervaluing the value he brings and the safety position in general. Dallas has too forever now. Hence why our defense is always terrible.

Yes I do. That is exactly why I like ET for this team.

Billyd

Reaction score
I DONT think ET takes this defense to the Sb..And SS and FS will not take the double team, will not Dominate guards...They can make a difference in the defense Defending passes, or Blitzing qbs, or blasting the run on a vet team....COWBOYS ARE very young in the secondary..

ET in my opinion is not going to put dallas over the top, and if we did get to the sb, he wont be the difference in winning it..

Sydla

Reaction score
He picked Alex Smith off to seal the Chiefs game, which was actually Alex Smith's first interception to throw in 2017.

Made a great interception against Aaron Rodgers late in the 3rd quarter of the playoffs the season before to keep the team in the game as they were trailing 28-13.

Running across the field forcing Derick Carr to dive at the 1 yard line causing him to fumble the ball out of bounds in the endzone which kept playoff hopes alive last year.

And he's a great special teams player.

Maybe you missed those games.

Oy.

Sydla

Reaction score
Yeah. I don't get the hate for him. He's an up and coming player who is a phenomenal athlete.

Why is it that unless you think a player is good or at least above average, the other side of the debate is just “hating”?

Maybe it’s reality? Jeff Heath is an average NFL safety. There’s no “hate” in acknowledging that reality. ET is a better safety. There’s no hate towards Heath in admitting that reality too.

Sydla

Reaction score
He’s a good value, too.

You are one of the ones that has always talked about the defense holding Garrett back and lament the lack of talent on defense that hurt us in 14 and 16.

Well if you want to improve the defense, this team absolutely could and needs better safety play.

Heath is what he is. Great special teams guy, average safety.