The Case Against an Earl Thomas Trade

erod

Reaction score
Yes I'm a fan and I don't feed into that bogus game of voting for players for the Pro Bowl. And I'm not the only person who thinks Thomas is a me me me guy. Many of the talking heads on TV have said that he's being a me me me guy. They say the proof is if Seattle pays him what he wants then he'll stay otherwise trade him. Players who aren't a me me me guy go in play like heck so the whole league see it and sees that he's a team player and not a me me me guy and then other teams will bid for him as a free agent. Now every year the former players and former GM's on sports shows have a list of players that should have been voted on the Pro Bowl and question some of the one who did make it. Why - because fans get to vote.

Earl Thomas has a Sean Lee level of understanding of the game and has never been anything but an elite professional. He's one of the greatest safeties in NFL history.

Your points are absolutely garbage.

DiResta

Reaction score
look i get the whole 'we aint gettin fleeced' thing from both sides
what i dont get is why they havent reached out to Seattle before cuts and just get some line of communication?
see if Seattle might be interested in some kind of player/pick trade, put it out there
let them discuss it and know theres something to be had instead of them just sitting on a disgruntled player

i hate the thought of ego being the issue

on second thought, maybe Dallas has and Seattle just went full ****** in demands
idk

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I am hopeful what we have is going to improve. It’s only preseason and everything is vanilla. I just want our Defense getting off the field on 3rd downs. When a opposing offense is 3rd and 12 and is picking it up more often than not. It’s bothersome. Lol

I want the same thing, however if Cowboys have a chance to have a playmaking FS in this secondary then I'm all for it. I don't want Thomas because he is from Texas or went to UT I would love to have him because he is a guy who is a top player and knows this defense like the back of his hand. He still covers a lot of ground in the secondary and is very good in coming up in run support. If a deal does not happen I'm good with the guys we have but of course if the opportunity comes to get a top player then of course I would grab that

erod

Reaction score
Looking at ET's stats, I'm not certain I see this grand decline. Looks to me like he chugs along regardless of the success of the team around him.

By the way, he doesn't turn 30 until 3-4 months after the 2018 season.

Yep, and 30 is not old for a safety at all.

How long did Ed Reed, Charles Woodson, Darren Woodson, and Rod Woodson play? And ET is in that class.

Sydla

Reaction score
Gee there were people that said Bryant after the 2014 season was one of the best receivers and would be for the next 3 - 5 years except after 2014 he's not had a single 1000+ season and most don't even think he's even a #1 receiver anymore. You must have some magical crystal ball that tells you that Thomas's game is 100% guaranteed not to drop off at all in the next 2 - 3 years. The list is endless of players who's game dropped off in just a single season and quite often that happens around the age of 30. The list is also endless of players who were good on one team and never were as good on another team because of different supporting casts. If you think Thomas is the best thing since sliced bread fine, but if he was some team that needs a safety would have been dialing up Seattle and trading for him. The whole world knows he wants to be traded and yet we hear of no other teams ever mentioned as interested in or trying to trade for Thomas. With the off season sportswriters write stuff just to get people to click on their articles to make money and yet none of them did that with other teams interested in Thomas. Maybe just maybe Richard coming over from Seattle has said things to Jones to make him think maybe acquiring Thomas isn't such a sure thing. I don't know this, nobody does, but it could have happened. What we do know is an offer was made the week before the draft and nothing since then. Months have past and still nothing. If you like him knock your socks off. As far as Harrison, he has a ring how many do you have? When it comes to who most will trust, a former player with a ring or a fan - I'll take the guy who has actually played the game.

And the list is endless of players who have hit the age of 29-30 and still gone on and been more than productive. Amazingly, that part of the equation never seems to enter your thinking. Like how you continue to largely ignore the fact he was an All Pro player last year and fall back on the fact he was also a Pro Bowler so you can claim he's overrated and the fans only voted on him because of popularity.

Sydla

Reaction score
Looking at ET's stats, I'm not certain I see this grand decline. Looks to me like he chugs along regardless of the success of the team around him.

By the way, he doesn't turn 30 until 3-4 months after the 2018 season.

Yep.

People pushing this he's in decline myth as if he's now nothing more than an average to good FS are just pushing cow turds at this point.

erod

Reaction score
And the list is endless of players who have hit the age of 29-30 and still gone on and been more than productive. Amazingly, that part of the equation never seems to enter your thinking. Like how you continue to largely ignore the fact he was an All Pro player last year and fall back on the fact he was also a Pro Bowler so you can claim he's overrated and the fans only voted on him because of popularity.

30 is generally old for a corner, running back, or receiver. Fast-twitch doesn't need to fade much to make those players much less effective.

Other positions, however, aren't like that. If general health is good, they can keep playing.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I want the same thing, however if Cowboys have a chance to have a playmaking FS in this secondary then I'm all for it. I don't want Thomas because he is from Texas or went to UT I would love to have him because he is a guy who is a top player and knows this defense like the back of his hand. He still covers a lot of ground in the secondary and is very good in coming up in run support. If a deal does not happen I'm good with the guys we have but of course if the opportunity comes to get a top player then of course I would grab that
If preseason is any indication I think we maybe ok. We are tipping a lot of passes and looking like we will get some take away this year. We have a good enough Defense that adding a elite player won’t be wasted. If you have a over all terrible unit and add one elite player then it kind of wasted. But adding one to a already good unit will pick them up even further.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
what i dont get is why they havent reached out to Seattle before cuts and just get some line of communication?
see if Seattle might be interested in some kind of player/pick trade, put it out there
let them discuss it and know theres something to be had instead of them just sitting on a disgruntled player

on second thought, maybe Dallas has and Seattle just went full ****** in demands
idk

They may very well be talking. But making those talks public doesn't do anyone any good.

Especially with Thomas out there trying to poke the hornets nest at every opportunity.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score

How long did Ed Reed, Charles Woodson, Darren Woodson, and Rod Woodson play? And ET is in that class.

And just because player A lost a step, doesn't mean player B will.

The argument about Dez in the post above ignores the fact Dez had foot and ankle injuries. Those would be the injuries which take away the leaping and running ability. That combined with the fact Dez was not a workout warrior was why he lost his mojo.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Charles Woodson signed a 7-year deal in 2006 at age 29. Seven years!

DiResta

Reaction score
Lee is admittedly injury prone and 32 years old
bet nobody was thinking 'oh Lee is turning 30 years old, dude is gonna suck from here on'
(well, on nfl offenses anyway -im sure someone on this board did)
then he went on to make all pro and i expect him to be great this year too

Reaction score

idk

There's no doubt in my mind there has been some communication between the teams. It just hasn't gone anywhere yet.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Charles Woodson signed a 7-year deal in 2006 at age 29. Seven years!
That’s what they are not going to do. ET is still a elite player but time will catch up or another injury. It’s a gamble easier taken at age 25. Who knows when the drop off will be. But it will be.

Sydla

Reaction score
That’s what they are not going to do. ET is still a elite player but time will catch up or another injury. It’s a gamble easier taken at age 25. Who knows when the drop off will be. But it will be.

My guess is if a trade did happen, he'd get a three year extension.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Lee is admittedly injury prone and 32 years old
bet nobody was thinking 'oh Lee is turning 30 years old, dude is gonna suck from here on'
(well, on nfl offenses anyway -im sure someone on this board did)
then he went on to make all pro and i expect him to be great this year too
Lee don’t count. He is a beast. Lol. When healthy he is just that good and we have been lucky to have him.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I'm not suggesting that they do, only mentioning a case where age 29 meant nothing in terms of a quality player declining. Woodson played in Pro Bowl, playoffs and Super Bowl years and years later.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I'm not suggesting that they do, only mentioning a case where age 29 meant nothing in terms of a quality player declining. Woodson played in Pro Bowl, playoffs and Super Bowl years and years later.
I know you weren’t. Woodson was a great player. There are always exceptions. Nit sure if ET is one of those. 3 year contract I would be very happy. With a option at year 2.