The Case Against an Earl Thomas Trade

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Can you imagine having Sean Lee and Earl Thomas on the field at the same time? Might as well call out your play at the line of scrimmage through a bull horn.

Pretty much, it is not by accident these guys spend hours in film rooms breaking offenses down they know what is coming and will seldom get fooled on a play. Lastly I think his knowledge of this defense would be a big help to some young talented CB's and knowing Thomas is backing them up. Lot easier for a CB to be aggressive when he knows he has help coming over the top.

erod

Reaction score
Pretty much, it is not by accident these guys spend hours in film rooms breaking offenses down they know what is coming and will seldom get fooled on a play. Lastly I think his knowledge of this defense would be a big help to some young talented CB's and knowing Thomas is backing them up. Lot easier for a CB to be aggressive when he knows he has help coming over the top.

I think Heath and Frazier would blossom with him on the field. They could just go get it while patrols. And Woods would be learning from the best at free safety.

erod

Reaction score
I don't think there has been a better fit for this team in terms of a trade or FA acquisition the last few years than this guy.

And I get balking if the price is too high to get him from Seattle. But that doesn't change the fact the guy is an ideal fit here and one of the best defensive backs in the league.

Not to mention Kris Richard. Earl Thomas already knows the scheme verbatim on Day 1 here.

Old'Boyfan

Reaction score
To me this is an opportunity to fill 1 of our 2 biggest needs. A perfect opportunity. I'm beginning to wonder if our FO is making enough effort.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
But, the fact remains if he wants a trade a holdout only hurts his cause. Provided they lose more players than they gain, the Seahawks could get a compensatory third-round pick for Thomas in 2019 free agency. That pick is likely the benchmark in a potential Thomas deal. So far the only real offer the team has reportedly gotten amounts to a third-round pick from Dallas and with Thomas in holdout mode and the Cowboys in training camp love with their current safeties, why would they offer more than a third rounder for Thomas? If the Seahawks feel they can get that back any way merely by letting Thomas walk, they have no reason to trade him at this moment.

Right now, Thomas is hurting the Seahawks trade leverage and thus is hurting his chances of getting out of town if he's truly looking to make that happen.

So unsurprisingly, it would take Thomas returning to camp before a trade would likely even be on the table again. The veteran safety was likely never getting the money he wanted this offseason and thus why he stayed away. But, if a trade is his second choice, he'll probably have to return to the team before that option is revisited again.

Besides doing damage to his pocketbook, his holdouts also doing damage to his trade value at the moment.

https://247sports.com/nfl/seattle-seahawks/Article/Earl-Thomas-Cowboys-trade-no-movement-120640473/

Sydla

Reaction score
To me this is an opportunity to fill 1 of our 2 biggest needs. A perfect opportunity. I'm beginning to wonder if our FO is making enough effort.

Possibly. I think Jerry and Stephen can often fall in love with what they have more than they should.

But from what has been reported, the Cowboys have made what many fans feel is fair offer in the 3rd round range. Until we hear otherwise, I have to believe they are trying.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
I'm going to try to steer this conversation another way.

Assume we can get ET3 for next years 3rd, and assume we dont have to extend him for him to play out his contract this season(I'm not saying either will happen).

We all agree that that is an easy accept to the trade, correct?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
FS are the least valued position in the league on defense, next to DT.

And again, he could be a top 3 safety because he's been on the top defense in the league for 4 years. A lot of forced throws take place when QBs are under consistent pressure and CBs are sticking to WRs like glue. Safety's benefit the most from defenses like this.

He plays at a position that is overvalued and some of his success is a result from being on an elite defense.

Look at other members of the LOB that departed and played on other teams without an elite defense. Their numbers and production dropped.

Anyone else seeing this?

First it's the "least valued position" but then It's "overvalued".

Great job! You've managed to completely contradict yourself within about five sentences. That takes skill.

:facepalm:

J12B

Reaction score
If he is such an elite talent, why haven't the Seahawks given him the extension he wants to put this whole fiasco to rest.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My goodness. He was an All Pro last year. Despite some issues on their defense last year, he was one of the best safeties in the league.

For the love of all that's holy, will people please stop trying to minimize how good Thomas is?

And the notion that a FS has little to no value on defense is a total made up fact. Same with DT. The Eagles have largely built an elite D around arguably one of the most dominant DTs in football - Fletcher Cox. Go tell them that DT is a low value position on defense.

Where do you guys come up with this stuff?

His was one of the worst attempts to make a point that I've ever seen.

erod

Reaction score
But, the fact remains if he wants a trade a holdout only hurts his cause./

Getting hurt hurts his cause.

It's a strange situation because he's only going to sign long-term here. Other teams are spooked by that and aren't offering much.

So we have this game of chicken. I think we need to bend a bit out of respect for Thomas and the need he fills.

Give them a good young player or a 2nd rounder.

erod

Reaction score
Anyone else seeing this?

Great job! You've managed to completely contradict yourself within about five sentences. That takes skill.

Semantics are a female canine. LOL

glimmerman

Reaction score

Assume we can get ET3 for next years 3rd, and assume we dont have to extend him for him to play out his contract this season(I'm not saying either will happen).

Would rather a 4th or 5th and maybe a player we are deep at. But that’s just me. Wonder if they want Chaz Green?

J12B

Reaction score
Anyone else seeing this?

I'm saying it's the least valued defensive position or 2nd least by GMs and that posters are overvaluing the position....genius

Sydla

Reaction score
If he is such an elite talent, why haven't the Seahawks given him the extension he wants to put this whole fiasco to rest.

Because as we have seen, the Seahawks are going through a change and probably don't want to anchor themselves to a contract that Thomas says he wants to be the largest for a safety. If you have paid attention they have cut some players from their defense as they remake it - Bennett is gone. Sherman is gone. Avril is gone. Chancellor retired.. They more than likely want Thomas to play out for his remaining 8.5MM and then make a decision after the season as to what to do here.

Last edited:

Sydla

Reaction score
I'm saying it's the least valued defensive position or 2nd least by GMs and that posters are overvaluing the position....genius

The only genius here is the guy who claims DT and S are not really valuable positions.

By the way, can you back up your statement that GMs consider S (and DT) not very valuable positions?

I gave you one example of a team that doesn't buy that. The Eagles built a defense around Fletcher Cox and poured assets into the DT position including trading for Jernigan last year and adding Ngata as a backup DT.

This is on top of you trying to claim that Thomas is likely simply a product of the Seattle defense. LOL.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I would call that a false assumption.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

You're babbling incoherently. With no valid point to make. That's what you're doing. All you're doing.