The Case Against an Earl Thomas Trade

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know you weren’t. Woodson was a great player. There are always exceptions. Nit sure if ET is one of those. 3 year contract I would be very happy. With a option at year 2.

I'd expect a four year deal that's structured to be three years and a "we'll see" final year. He gets his money and security up front and the team accepts some possible dead money on the back end.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I'd expect a four year deal that's structured to be three years and a "we'll see" final year. He gets his money and security up front and the team accepts some possible dead money on the back end.
I would be ok with it. Just been to long and it seems to be only kept alive on the boards here.Lol. We will see if the seahags are serious if he holds out if regular season action.

J12B

Reaction score
Looking at ET's stats, I'm not certain I see this grand decline. Looks to me like he chugs along regardless of the success of the team around him.

By the way, he doesn't turn 30 until 3-4 months after the 2018 season.

ET has been on an elite defense for a good majority of his career. He's had a great front 7 playing in front of him and surrounded by the best secondarys in the last 20 years. A lot of his stats benefited from that.

Not saying he isn't a good player, but you have to take into consideration the level of talent he has had around him. Excellent defenses propel good safety's to great ones.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would be ok with it. Just been to long and it seems to be only kept alive on the boards here.Lol. We will see if the seahags are serious if he holds out if regular season action.

To me it's a Wild West showdown, with two teams staring at one another to see who blinks first. And a player sitting in the middle.

tenor.gif

Sydla

Reaction score
ET has been on an elite defense for a good majority of his career. He's had a great front 7 playing in front of him and surrounded by the best secondarys in the last 20 years. A lot of his stats benefited from that.

Not saying he isn't a good player, but you have to take into consideration the level of talent he has had around him. Excellent defenses propel good safety's to great ones.

He's a Top 3 FS in this league.

J12B

Reaction score
He's a Top 3 FS in this league.

FS are the least valued position in the league on defense, next to DT.

And again, he could be a top 3 safety because he's been on the top defense in the league for 4 years. A lot of forced throws take place when QBs are under consistent pressure and CBs are sticking to WRs like glue. Safety's benefit the most from defenses like this.

He plays at a position that is overvalued and some of his success is a result from being on an elite defense.

Look at other members of the LOB that departed and played on other teams without an elite defense. Their numbers and production dropped.

Last edited:

Sydla

Reaction score

And again, he could be a top 3 safety because he's been on the top defense in the league for 4 years. A lot of forced throws take place when QBs are under consistent pressure and CBs are sticking to WRs like glue. Safety's benefit the most from defenses like this.

He plays at a position that is overvalued and some of his success is a result from being on an elite defense.

Look at other members of the LOB that departed and played on other teams without an elite defense. Their numbers and production dropped.

My goodness. He was an All Pro last year. Despite some issues on their defense last year, he was one of the best safeties in the league.

For the love of all that's holy, will people please stop trying to minimize how good Thomas is?

And the notion that a FS has little to no value on defense is a total made up fact. Same with DT. The Eagles have largely built an elite D around arguably one of the most dominant DTs in football - Fletcher Cox. Go tell them that DT is a low value position on defense.

Where do you guys come up with this stuff?

TwoDeep3

Reaction score

And experienced safeties who have been to the mountain top also take young DB's and put them in positions to be successful during games.

davidariust24

Reaction score
Thomas is still a great player but what I want is his knowledge and his ability to get everyone on the same page because we have a young secondary that has alot of talent but they need a guy that is known talent and leader to say hay I need you to do this when this happens and that when that happens and bring them to me. And I got your back. We need that . He can make things happen if they listen to him because he can see plays form early like Lee can but he needs guys to do what they need to do. The only reason id hesitate to pull the trigger on a trade is because Will McClay and Co have been drafting some Awesome talent and a second or third round pick can get me a demarcus Lawrence or a Michael Gallup . Oh yeah now that Randy Gregory is about to play people can soon stop talking about all the failures we've had drafting in the second round. Here are some of the picks. Sean Lee. Demarcus Lawrence. Jaylon Smith, Randy Gregory and now Connor Williams looks like a stud

erod

Reaction score

Well, free safety has caused Dallas' seasons to ends prematurely multiple times in recent years, so that doesn't apply here.

He wasn't elite because of their defense. Their defense was elite because of him.

He quarterbacked that defense. He's like Sean Lee.

Jeffkills

Reaction score
The more I look at it, I’m thinking screw Earl Thomas...

We’ve been hitting on these picks like gangbusters...

Why trade premium picks to bring in some elderly player while ruining our cap...

I like our young guns..

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

We have a pretty good front seven here now, also. Maybe not yet up to the Seattle D standards, but pretty darn good, none-the-less. He can immediately improve the trouble area of this D, the secondary. Hopefully, we'll know pretty soon if this deal is going to come to fruition.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

We have a pretty good front seven here now, also. Maybe not yet up to the Seattle D standards, but pretty darn good, none-the-less. He can immediately improve the trouble area of this D, the secondary. Hopefully, we'll know pretty soon if this deal is going to come to fruition.

Thing is I see lot of plays he makes that have nothing to do with pass rush. He like Lee knows what is coming, he can read plays and put himself in position to attack he knows how to come up on run plays and can deliver the hit. There is nothing offense can throw at Thomas that he has not seen.

erod

Reaction score
The more I look at it, I’m thinking screw Earl Thomas...

We’ve been hitting on these picks like gangbusters...

Why trade premium picks to bring in some elderly player while ruining our cap...

I like our young guns..

No Earl Thomas, and Philly will destroy this team deep. Obliterate it. Atlanta and New Orleans might score 100 points.

This is a 7-9 team without ET, and a 9-7 team with him. The rest is up to Dak.

Sydla

Reaction score
Thing is I see lot of plays he makes that have nothing to do with pass rush. He like Lee knows what is coming, he can read plays and put himself in position to attack he knows how to come up on run plays and can deliver the hit. There is nothing offense can throw at Thomas that he has not seen.

Exactly.

I am not sure if it's just not wanting to get disappointed that we don't get him or that one is deluded into thinking either our safeties are criminally underrated or Thomas is severely overrated, I just don't get the posts that try to diminish how good a player he is. He's good. He's basically an elite S in this league.

Even if I didn't want him on this team (say because he could only be had for a first round pick for example), I sure as hell would be able to admit the guy is a total stud. I am perplexed why some struggle with that.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Exactly.

I am not sure if it's just not wanting to get disappointed that we don't get him or that one is deluded into thinking either our safeties are criminally underrated or Thomas is severely overrated, I just don't get the posts that try to diminish how good a player he is. He's good. He's basically an elite S in this league.

Even if I didn't want him on this team (say because he could only be had for a first round pick for example), I sure as hell would be able to admit the guy is a total stud. I am perplexed why some struggle with that.

When you run single high safety which Dallas does quite a bit that is the QB of the defense. He sees the entire field he has to be right in what he sees and he has to have the speed to cover the ground and get over to defend the pass, he has to be able to come up a lay the hit on runs. People making claims that safety are not important? I have seen enough times where safeties in Dallas were late coming over and give up the big play down the field or taking bad angles that again allow big plays to happen. Earl is one of a few elite players at that position. As I have said given age and his contract I would not offer up as much in terms of draft pick but I would gladly welcome a player of his caliber to play for this team

erod

Reaction score
When you run single high safety which Dallas does quite a bit that is the QB of the defense. He sees the entire field he has to be right in what he sees and he has to have the speed to cover the ground and get over to defend the pass, he has to be able to come up a lay the hit on runs. People making claims that safety are not important? I have seen enough times where safeties in Dallas were late coming over and give up the big play down the field or taking bad angles that again allow big plays to happen. Earl is one of a few elite players at that position. As I have said given age and his contract I would not offer up as much in terms of draft pick but I would gladly welcome a player of his caliber to play for this team

Can you imagine having Sean Lee and Earl Thomas on the field at the same time? Might as well call out your play at the line of scrimmage through a bull horn.

Sydla

Reaction score
Can you imagine having Sean Lee and Earl Thomas on the field at the same time? Might as well call out your play at the line of scrimmage through a bull horn.

I don't think there has been a better fit for this team in terms of a trade or FA acquisition the last few years than this guy.

And I get balking if the price is too high to get him from Seattle. But that doesn't change the fact the guy is an ideal fit here and one of the best defensive backs in the league.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
The case against an Earl Thomas trade

As training camp and preseason progresses, I am favoring that no deal be made for Earl Thomas more and more due to his antics on social media and for visiting the Texans training camp earlier in the week. The guy is still under contract and is taking things too far in my opinion. That amount of disrespect to the organization that drafted him and really ultimately created him into the player he is today is unnecessary and I take that as a sign that he is ultimately out for only himself. A type of player that, I believe, this front office is trying to distance themselves from.

We also need to take into consideration that the front office will be taking on his cap hit for this year and a likely 2-3 year extension soon after a trade is done to make him “happy.” All for a player who is nearing the end of his career and very well may have already played his best football, which will create a risk of not being able to afford to pay talent that has been homegrown and have a longer future.

In my opinion, the outlook on our defense is trending upwards and say let's roll with what we got.

As a fan of this team, I would be displeased with a trade that occurs where Dallas gives up anything more than a 5th round draft pick.

With each day that passes, I’m glad a deal hasn’t been made for Earl Thomas.

Puh lease.

Disrespect?

These teams show disrespect all the time to their players... How dare the players do it back?