The Case Against an Earl Thomas Trade

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Last year was 8-8. (Don't count that 6-0 win against Philly's 3rd-stringers.)

Subtract Dez and Witten. Add some promising draft picks.

Who knows? But you can't exactly predict much higher as is.
Well... you can't. And they were 9-7. I don't care how you frame it, they were 9-7.
The W/L record says 9-7. But, you do live in erod-world...

Corso

Reaction score
If Earl was openly willing to sign anywhere, there would be tons of interest in trading. The price would be going WAY up. But it's not.

Read the tea leaves here.
Uhhh... no. This is a Safety who is going to turn 30 that wants to be paid like Eric Berry.
Those are my tea leaves.

Corso

Reaction score
If Earl was openly willing to sign anywhere, there would be tons of interest in trading. The price would be going WAY up. But it's not.

Read the tea leaves here.
Oh yeah, did you miss my comment to you about doing a google search? It was fascinating.
He himself said he's open to playing for other teams. Specifically the Raiders, for one.
Would you like a link?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't know players tend to be more understanding about holdout and contract disputes than fans. Player telling a team pay me or trade me is not that uncommon and should Seahawks pay him I doubt there will be any issue in the locker room

"Should they pay him?" No. There wouldn't be any issue.

But if they wanted to, there's absolutely nothing stopping them. There hasn't been for over a year now. It's clear to me that Seattle has no intention of giving him a contract extension. If they did, we wouldn't be here.

erod

Reaction score
Uhhh... no. This is a Safety who is going to turn 30 that wants to be paid like Eric Berry.
Those are my tea leaves.

You simply give him that contract with some protections.

Charles Woodson played until he was 38. Common for good safeties to play well beyond 30.

Earl has 3-4 really good years in him.

erod

Reaction score

But if they wanted to, there's absolutely nothing stopping them. There hasn't been for over a year now. It's clear to me that Seattle has no intention of giving him a contract extension. If they did, we wouldn't be here.

Only because they're rebuilding.

Seattle got old in key areas. It's pointless to pay huge money at safety when they need to re-build the front 7, their offensive line, and the rest of their secondary.

Corso

Reaction score
You simply give him that contract with some protections.

Charles Woodson played until he was 38. Common for good safeties to play well beyond 30.

Earl has 3-4 really good years in him.
Lol... Okay. He's pulling a Kawhi while saying he's willing to play for other teams and all of his focus, from Day 1, has been on his next contract.
But you have your "locals" and tea leaf readings.

Nice.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Our deep middle has been obliterated for the past decade. Have you been watching the games?

Have you? Last year Dallas was tied for 9 best in the NFL in giving up passes of 20+ yards, and tied for 7th best in giving up passes of 40+ yards. They only gave up an average of 214.1 yards per game through the air. It was not the free for all throwing downfield against the Cowboys that some imagine. The issue is that they don't make enough difference making plays, not that they are getting torched.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Only because they're rebuilding.

Seattle got old in key areas. It's pointless to pay huge money at safety when they need to re-build the front 7, their offensive line, and the rest of their secondary.

I agree.

But I'm not the guy banging the drum saying they have "no urgency", am I?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Have you? Last year Dallas was tied for 9 best in the NFL in giving up passes of 20+ yards, and tied for 7th best in giving up passes of 40+ yards. They only gave up an average of 214.1 yards per game through the air. It was not the free for all throwing downfield against the Cowboys that some imagine. The issue is that they don't make enough difference making plays, not that they are getting torched.

It's just more hyperbole and grasping at straws to support his "Earl at all costs" campaign.

I can respect opinions on both sides of the argument, as long as they're supported by some actual facts.

erod

Reaction score
Oh yeah, did you miss my comment to you about doing a google search? It was fascinating.
He himself said he's open to playing for other teams. Specifically the Raiders, for one.
Would you like a link?

The Raiders. The team that won't pay Khalil Mack.

Lots of things are said. The guy literally went up to Jason Garrett after a game in Dallas in front of reporters and everybody and said, "Come get me, Coach!"

He leaves Seattle practices to rush home to watch Cowboy games. He wants to come home to Texas.

Tea leaves.

Of course, they could "A-Rod" him with $250 million and get him to Buffalo, but that isn't going to happen.

Gotta go. Getting on a plane.

Corso

Reaction score
I agree.

But I'm not the guy banging the drum saying they have "no urgency", am I?
This guy... I thought about going in for the kill, but this is neat and I'm enjoying life right now!
Well, I'm always enjoying life...

Corso

Reaction score
The Raiders. The team that won't pay Khalil Mack.

Lots of things are said. The guy literally went up to Jason Garrett after a game in Dallas in front of reporters and everybody and said, "Come get me, Coach!"

He leaves Seattle practices to rush home to watch Cowboy games. He wants to come home to Texas.

Tea leaves.

Of course, they could "A-Rod" him with $250 million and get him to Buffalo, but that isn't going to happen.

Gotta go. Getting on a plane.
Have a safe flight my friend!

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Our deep middle has been obliterated for the past decade. Have you been watching the games?

Dallas gave up 6 plays of 40 plus same as seahawks and 43 plays of 20 yards and Seahawks 44. Difference in my view was they pulled in 19 ints vs Dallas 10

chances are they won't all I said if they did would there be a locker room issue? I doubt it players do not throw hissy over contracts because sooner or later they likely will be in the same boat.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't know how the price tag would be hire mid-season, even if a team decided it needed extra help at safety. By that point a team would only be paying for part of a season, and the value is even less If ET is sitting at home during the season rather than staying in shape with the team. And then, there is still the issue of whether the team would be paying for a short term rental or if they could reach a reasonable deal on a longer term contract.

just re-read this. Change the word hire to higher. I tend to assume when others do something like this they don't know better - that will teach me to judge. It must be my fingers moving so fast across the keyboard ...

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This guy... I thought about going in for the kill, but this is neat and I'm enjoying life right now!
Well, I'm always enjoying life...

source.gif