The Case Against an Earl Thomas Trade

erod

Reaction score
Nah... he wants to play here, but he wants a last big, fat extension more.
He'll stay where he's traded to, if he gets that.

This isn't Kawhi wanting to go to LA.

That's not what has been generally reported. He's coming here.

I have a sneaking suspicion Dallas has been quietly and illegally having regular conversations with his agent already.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
This team needs Dak to step up and win 4 or 5 games. With Earl Thomas and a better defense, it needs Dak to win 1 or 2. That's my point.

Earl Thomas could really make this exciting young defense a top tier group. Dallas runs the ball like a freight train. Then, they have a chance with a learning QB.

It's the Seattle formula to a T.
But you don't expect he will, hence your season predictions with and without Earl.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He'll show up at the end of camp, but that's toxic for their locker room at this point. They probably can't play him, but they'll have to pay him.

I suspect he will too. I can't imagine him walking away from that kind of money. But I disagree that the team won't play him. They wouldn't gain anything by burying him on the bench.

erod

Reaction score
I don't know how the price tag would be hire mid-season, even if a team decided it needed extra help at safety. By that point a team would only be paying for part of a season, and the value is even less If ET is sitting at home during the season rather than staying in shape with the team. And then, there is still the issue of whether the team would be paying for a short term rental or if they could reach a reasonable deal on a longer term contract.

If it's a legit contender in desperate need, that's a small price to pay for a great chance at a championship.

Corso

Reaction score

I have a sneaking suspicion Dallas has been quietly and illegally having regular conversations with his agent already.
I have not seen one report saying he's definitely coming here, if he gets traded somewhere else.
Could you provide me a link?

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I take it that the front office is under the belief that the d-line is going to take another step forward this year due to Lawrence entering his prime and other players stepping up and improving (Taco, Gregory, Irving, Collins, Crawford, Ward, Woods). The LB unit should go from average to good this year with Lee, a 100% healthy Jaylon, additions of 1st rounder LVE and Joe Thomas. And "good" is on the conservative side. The young secondary now has a coach (Richards) that can guide them to the next level. If all those units are better than last year, the Safety play will be fine and does not need to be at an elite level in order to get to a Superbowl, since we have a top 3 offensive line unit and an elite rusher whose presence on the field helps open up the passing game. The offense is going to put up points with a healthy Zeke and healthy Oline. There is no need to go after an aging Safety that will lock up a significant portion of cap space over the next couple of year's and a 3rd round draft pick or even a 2nd rounder.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, but IMO, you are incorrect. If our D line & linebackers are better, the secondary becomes the weak link. More throws into the secondary occur. Sure, we will be placing more pressure on the QB, but many teams have pretty good OL's. Like previously stated, good teams like Philadelphia will kill us with passes.

Corso

Reaction score

I just tried googling the subject and one of the 1st things that popped up was he's "Willing to be a Raider".

Huh...

Edit: Oh yeah, nothing about him only going to Dallas, by the by.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If it's a legit contender in desperate need, that's a small price to pay for a great chance at a championship.

A team would have to be pretty desperate. Maybe there is a chance if ET has been playing all year, but the odds of him being the kind of help they need would go way down if he were sitting at home the first 8-10 weeks of the season.

erod

Reaction score
But you don't expect he will, hence your season predictions with and without Earl.

OK, let's slow down a bit.

This is a good, young roster with two fatal flaws. A huge hole in the deep middle of the defense and a QB that isn't ready to carry the team on his arm.

That's a bad formula.

Earl Thomas isn't just a single player. He fixes an overall defensive issue that allows the ENTIRE defense to play more aggressively and more confidently. He's like what Zeke is for the run game.

That makes a huge difference. It allows your limited QB to make more mistakes when the defense can erase them. That's what Seattle did for years with young Wilson.

So now you can win 17-14 instead of having to win 28-24 all the time. That's huge.

That helps Dak a ton. That gives you a potential road map to exceed what you are. Then, 11-5 is far more possible.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would do a contract with incentives to reach the 13. Does Earl get everything he wants? if he lives up to the incentives. For me it is simple I do it to make this team better to add a playmaker in the secondary. It is lowballing when the players who are paid more now that are not as good other than Berry. Sorry never had an issue paying top money for top play, where I draw the line is paying big money for avg play and we have seen that before

He's at #6 already. Behind a guy on a one year franchise tag and a teammate who will never play again. And I believe he's by far the oldest name of that group. He's far from being "low balled."

Corso

Reaction score
OK, let's slow down a bit.

This is a good, young roster with two fatal flaws. A huge hole in the deep middle of the defense and a QB that isn't ready to carry the team on his arm.

That's a bad formula.

Earl Thomas isn't just a single player. He fixes an overall defensive issue that allows the ENTIRE defense to play more aggressively and more confidently. He's like what Zeke is for the run game.

That makes a huge difference. It allows your limited QB to make more mistakes when the defense can erase them. That's what Seattle did for years with young Wilson.

So now you can win 17-14 instead of having to win 28-24 all the time. That's huge.

That helps Dak a ton. That gives you a potential road map to exceed what you are. Then, 11-5 is far more possible.
I'm sorry, was I "going too fast" for you?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, why don't we go back to a comment you made earlier: You think this is a 7-9 team without him and a 9-7 team with him.
If that's the case, why bother? Why lose draft capital for a guy when you aren't even going to make the playoffs, in your mind?

You didn't know? That was another thinly-veiled dig at Dak Prescott. Crystal clear.

Corso

Reaction score
You didn't know? That was another thinly-veiled dig at Dak Prescott. Crystal clear.
Oh... I know. Read on. This has been kind of fun! I like prodding erod.
He's good people, but some of the stuff he types...

erod

Reaction score
I have not seen one report saying he's definitely coming here, if he gets traded somewhere else.
Could you provide me a link?

The locals here in Dallas say that Thomas would be willing to sign right now with Seattle or Dallas long term. Otherwise, he's going to hit free agency if any team but Dallas trades for him.

That's a big risk for another team to take.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You want him in Carolina? There is urgency.

Against that running back masquerading as a quarterback? I'll take my chances. Of all the things I might fear, Newton as a passer isn't one.

Or do you want to leave that deep middle wide open for Carolina, New York, Houston, and Detroit?

"Wide open"? It's obvious. You're willing to give Seattle anything and everything they want. The rest of us - and the Cowboys front office - aren't.

erod

Reaction score
Oh... I know. Read on. This has been kind of fun! I like prodding erod.
He's good people, but some of the stuff he types...

Tim Cowlishaw has said that he's surprised he isn't already here based on his sources.

Corso

Reaction score
The locals here in Dallas say that Thomas would be willing to sign right now with Seattle or Dallas long term. Otherwise, he's going to hit free agency if any team but Dallas trades for him.

That's a big risk for another team to take.
Oh... well if the "locals" are saying it...

Doomsday101

Reaction score
He's at #6 already. Behind a guy on a one year franchise tag and a teammate who will never play again. And I believe he's by far the oldest name of that group. He's far from being "low balled."

Man sorry we do not agree, I have no issue with paying talent. In terms of draft picks we are in more of an agreement. 4 years 48 mill with incentives I don't think it unfair to a top player. The draft picks is between seahawks and Cowboys, the deal with the player is between team and player. Either you feel he is an elite player worthy of the deal or you don't. However at this stage this is all meaningless since there appears there is no movement on this.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sorry, but IMO, you are incorrect. If our D line & linebackers are better, the secondary becomes the weak link. More throws into the secondary occur. Sure, we will be placing more pressure on the QB, but many teams have pretty good OL's. Like previously stated, good teams like Philadelphia will kill us with passes.

The Cowboys only gave up 214 passing yards per game last year, so I don't get the logic that having a stronger D-Line and LB group in 2017 somehow translates into the team getting crushed by other team's passing games. If we do, in fact, have a better pass rush that should help the pass defense, and as for the DB's, Awuzie, Lewis, Woods and Frazier all come in with a little experience under their belt that they didn't have a year ago.