The case against Chip Kelly as head coach

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
He didn't "fail" in the NFL. Thats a myth. He walked away after only 1 season b/c he preferred the college game.
semantics...he didn't succeed in the NFL neither...quitting after one year? is admitting you can't do this. not wanting to this, is admitting you can't do this...he didn't accomplish anything in the NFL...….

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
For the life of me, I just don't understand all this momentum for Urban Meyer.

Forget for a moment that he basically got run out of Ohio State for knowingly covering up years of horrific domestic violence for a key assistant coach. Forget that he was coaching a bunch of really evil players at Florida and didn't care. Forget the myriad of sleezy recruiting tactics he's known for.

What makes him a good NFL coaching candidate? Nobody from college has had success at the NFL level since Jimmy (Pete Carroll was in the NFL for many years before his stint at USC). College isn't a good place to even look unless you pick a very specific type of football mind.

How would Urban Meyer even translate?

He's the prime definition of the RPO offense. It's all he's ever run. It requires the likes of JT Barrett and Tim Tebow to run it, and Dak hardly looks the part for such an offense. Even Alex Smith was pretty much a runner in college under Meyer.

This smells of Chip Kelly allure.

We saw Kelly bring an even more creative version of that offense to the NFL, and it fell SPLAT in the NFL. Despite accolades from everywhere, that was a crash-and-burn of epic proportions. To this day, analysts like Cris Collinsworth and Jon Gruden (at the time) are embarrassed about how they went gooey over Chip and the "new NFL offense of the future."

Did Urban ever run his QB under center? Did he have read routes for his receivers? Did he employ NFL-style play action? Did anything he ran look NFL worthy, or did he just out-recruit the pants off of everybody and run up gaudy numbers against far lesser players?

The same goes for Chris Peterson and that nonsense offense.

The ONLY college guy I would even consider is Lincoln Riley because he focuses on the run game first and utilizes his QB under center a ton. His is an NFL style offense with fresh passing ideas mixed in and a deep passing game.

For what it's worth, Riley toyed with Meyer in Columbus the last time they met.

But I don't think either of them are the right guy. Jerry needs to go NFL first, and big names at that. I start with Bill Belichick, Mike Zimmer, Sean Payton, Greg Roman, Robert Saleh, etc. Shoot for the moon in the dark of the night, then look for quality assistant coach candidates in the NFL after that.

Just don't fall for Chip Kelly, Steve Spurrier, Greg Schiano, Bobby Petrino Nick Saban, etc.
We've had our version of Chip Kelly for 10 years.

Ron12

Reaction score
Chip Kelly is worse then JG we sure don't need that idiot coaching here in Dallas UCLA will be firing him soon Eagles = Fired 49ERS =Fired

erod

Reaction score
How many winning or non-losing seasons has he had?
After taking over for Wade and finishing 5-3 that year, he's had 4 winning seasons, 3 seasons of. 500, and two losing seasons.

Plus whatever this year turns out of be.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
After taking over for Wade and finishing 5-3 that year, he's had 4 winning seasons, 3 seasons of. 500, and two losing seasons.

Plus whatever this year turns out of be.
:laugh:...yea :facepalm:......he's awesome

Ron12

Reaction score
Kelly has not had a winning season in the last 5 years college or pro enough said

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Iron ore was the key military advantage for the Hittites. That doesn't mean they could have won World War II.
All this time I thought it was Zu'ul...
And Rick Moranis as a dog monster.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score

Forget for a moment that he basically got run out of Ohio State for knowingly covering up years of horrific domestic violence for a key assistant coach. Forget that he was coaching a bunch of really evil players at Florida and didn't care. Forget the myriad of sleezy recruiting tactics he's known for.

What makes him a good NFL coaching candidate? Nobody from college has had success at the NFL level since Jimmy (Pete Carroll was in the NFL for many years before his stint at USC). College isn't a good place to even look unless you pick a very specific type of football mind.

He's the prime definition of the RPO offense. It's all he's ever run. It requires the likes of JT Barrett and Tim Tebow to run it, and Dak hardly looks the part for such an offense. Even Alex Smith was pretty much a runner in college under Meyer.

We saw Kelly bring an even more creative version of that offense to the NFL, and it fell SPLAT in the NFL. Despite accolades from everywhere, that was a crash-and-burn of epic proportions. To this day, analysts like Cris Collinsworth and Jon Gruden (at the time) are embarrassed about how they went gooey over Chip and the "new NFL offense of the future."

Did Urban ever run his QB under center? Did he have read routes for his receivers? Did he employ NFL-style play action? Did anything he ran look NFL worthy, or did he just out-recruit the pants off of everybody and run up gaudy numbers against far lesser players?

The ONLY college guy I would even consider is Lincoln Riley because he focuses on the run game first and utilizes his QB under center a ton. His is an NFL style offense with fresh passing ideas mixed in and a deep passing game.

But I don't think either of them are the right guy. Jerry needs to go NFL first, and big names at that. I start with Bill Belichick, Mike Zimmer, Sean Payton, Greg Roman, Robert Saleh, etc. Shoot for the moon in the dark of the night, then look for quality assistant coach candidates in the NFL after that.

Just don't fall for Chip Kelly, Steve Spurrier, Greg Schiano, Bobby Petrino Nick Saban, etc.
I get what you're saying, e.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
Reading this thread like

tenor.gif

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
semantics...he didn't succeed in the NFL neither...quitting after one year? is admitting you can't do this. not wanting to this, is admitting you can't do this...he didn't accomplish anything in the NFL...….

I don't follow your logic. Leaving after 1 season on one's own terms is by no means an admission of failure, especially in this case that you clearly aren't familiar with................you don't always have to have an opinion. If you don't know what the heck your talking about , just back away from the keyboard.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Meyer is still working for Ohio State. They didn't "run him out".

There was a witch hunt with regards to him not baby sitting an assistant coach with regards to that coaches personal life.

Meyer didn't have to take that nonsense and "retired". He could be hired tomorrow by dozens of colleges if he wants another college job.

Having said that, there is no proof that he would be a good NFL Head Coach but then again there is no proof that he wouldn't.

Jimmy was a college coach and one of the best NFL Head Coaches in history despite a short NFL career.

It should have been evident that Chip Kelly's gimmick offense would not work in the NFL.

erod

Reaction score
Meyer is still working for Ohio State. They didn't "run him out".

There was a witch hunt with regards to him not baby sitting an assistant coach with regards to that coaches personal life.

He knew about it and did nothing. That was the problem.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Did not know chip was a candidate for the job.
Hope not, he did not impress with the eagles

zerofill

Reaction score
I will keep Garrett over Chip... that is how stupid I think Chip is.