The case for going for Lawrence

garyo1954

Reaction score
Four is a very important number for Uncle Jerry.
The Cowboys started #12 + #88 and #8 + #88 in their Super Bowls.
12 - 4 = 8
8 - 4 = 4
22 (Emmitt) X 4 = 88.

This sad little man is convinced his lucky numbers come in multiples of 4. Let's not destroy his nonsense by talking about talent, please!

Hadenough

Reaction score
To move up from 3 to 1 to select Lawrence would cost 3 #1 draft pics and maybe a a 2nd or 3rd and that would be even if the Jets accept that. Lawrence has a much higher ceiling than Dak. This offense is not what I would consider a #1 offense. They struggle against better teams more than they should of they were really a #1 offense. Dak struggles in the redzone passing and Zeke struggles for yards on 3rd and 2. This team needs a QB with pedigree that can deliver accurate throws on 3rd and 3 hitting WRs in stride routine like. Daks throws are all over the catch radius and often behind WRs. A QB who can stand in the pocket and deliver a 20 yards strike on 3rd down while pressure is in his face and he isnt able to step into the throw.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Burrows,Hubert or Dak?
Who in the right mind would choose Dak at 35+ million a year with a gimp leg?
If the losses allow for it we are going QB big time in the draft!
P.S. Ok so Dak has won us a Superbowl and has in the playoffs ever year but is that enough for him to get a new deal?:muttley:

HotDog37

Reaction score
If I was the GM I would find a way to get it done. I'm not saying Jerry could do that I'm just saying I would find a way.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If I was the GM I would find a way to get it done. I'm not saying Jerry could do that I'm just saying I would find a way.
Jets get our 1st and our next years 1st might need to throw in a 3 rd and Lawrence is ours.
No one can guarantee that the Jets are done with Darnold and they are in dire need of new talent which the additional picks would provide.
Now don't start crying about how we need the picks for defense as we have seen Jerry track draft record and are not impressed....right Taco???

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
To move up from 3 to 1 to select Lawrence would cost 3 #1 draft pics and maybe a a 2nd or 3rd and that would be even if the Jets accept that. Lawrence has a much higher ceiling than Dak. This offense is not what I would consider a #1 offense. They struggle against better teams more than they should of they were really a #1 offense. Dak struggles in the redzone passing and Zeke struggles for yards on 3rd and 2. This team needs a QB with pedigree that can deliver accurate throws on 3rd and 3 hitting WRs in stride routine like. Daks throws are all over the catch radius and often behind WRs. A QB who can stand in the pocket and deliver a 20 yards strike on 3rd down while pressure is in his face and he isnt able to step into the throw.
I doesn't come down to your opinion on the offense being number 1. The fact is, when Prescott was playing this season it was the number 1 offense. And that was with a hodge-podge O line and a fumbling RB.

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
First off, let me say that I like Dak Prescott, I think he is a very good, not great, QB, and even the Dakaters have to notice the team with and without him which is exactly my point. The team needs someone better at that position unless you believe this team's management is capable of doing something they haven't done in decades, build a team around a QB.

They haven't done it with Prescott as well as his predecessor and even admitted that, failed to build around Romo. The fact that they lucked into both of these QB's should also be considered.

There are two questions regarding Trevor Lawrence, three if you consider why he doesn't become an English actor with that name. But the main two are is he better than what the Cowboys have now and what will it take to get him away from the two teams, JAX and NYJ, that have him in their sights?

Now, we must also consider the considerable team that Swinney has built around Lawrence, just as he did Watson. That must be taken into account when considering Fields as well.

But for the sake of argument and this thread, Lawrence is a better QB now than Prescott has developed into and he has nothing but upside. He is the first QB since P. Manning to deliver on being the most highly recruited QB in his class. If you don't agree with this, then this thread doesn't make sense to you but I have watched a lot of Lawrence play the position and consider him the real deal.

The second question is a tough one because if the Cowboys do not end up with the 1st pick, trading up for it will be very expensive in draft capital. If that can even be done. JAX ends up with that and they'd have a hard time passing on Lawrence since he's played in the neighborhood and if they're in that position, we'll see the same response as we saw from the CIN fans when the season became all about Burrow.

OK, you can let me have it now but I just don't think Prescott is good enough to lift this team beyond a mid level team. They ranked #1 in offense and we're 8-8 and what did they look like this season with Prescott at the helm? Is it a risk? Absolutely, but isn't giving Prescott a 4 or 5 X 35-40M a year even a bigger risk when you consider who the team builders are?

This is not about Dak Prescott, I think there are teams he could take to the Big Dance. This is about trying to overcome what's been holding this team back for two and half decades, management.

And if you want to consider something else, this HC had one of the best QB's in the history of the NFL and the most accurate one I have ever seen and he could only get one ring and ended up canned and that team doing better without him.

McC has this rep as a QB guru but who wouldn't with those QB's? The better the QB, the better the guru.

All comes down to one simple question. Do you want more of the same or do you want to take a chance? This is about change but what needs to be changed, management, will not so what's the next best thing?
In the last 20 years, there have been 56 QB's taken in the first round, roughly 36 of those QB's were total busts or are below average NFL QB's. A fair number of those QBs were considered the "real deal" drafted in the top 5. We know what we have in Dak and the census among experts is that a redraft would have Dak taken in the top 3 in 2016. It makes no sense drafting another QB when this team has much higher needs that could be filled with a high draft pick.

I would like to bring up a point that you make about management. You say it wont change (I agree). If management is not going to change, what makes you think that drafting TL is going to change anything? What happens in 4-5 years if we take TL and he puts up Dak like stats but the team is not winning? Will we be sitting in the same situation? Pay the QB or take another in the draft?

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
First off, let me say that I like Dak Prescott, I think he is a very good, not great, QB, and even the Dakaters have to notice the team with and without him which is exactly my point. The team needs someone better at that position unless you believe this team's management is capable of doing something they haven't done in decades, build a team around a QB.

They haven't done it with Prescott as well as his predecessor and even admitted that, failed to build around Romo. The fact that they lucked into both of these QB's should also be considered.

There are two questions regarding Trevor Lawrence, three if you consider why he doesn't become an English actor with that name. But the main two are is he better than what the Cowboys have now and what will it take to get him away from the two teams, JAX and NYJ, that have him in their sights?

Now, we must also consider the considerable team that Swinney has built around Lawrence, just as he did Watson. That must be taken into account when considering Fields as well.

But for the sake of argument and this thread, Lawrence is a better QB now than Prescott has developed into and he has nothing but upside. He is the first QB since P. Manning to deliver on being the most highly recruited QB in his class. If you don't agree with this, then this thread doesn't make sense to you but I have watched a lot of Lawrence play the position and consider him the real deal.

The second question is a tough one because if the Cowboys do not end up with the 1st pick, trading up for it will be very expensive in draft capital. If that can even be done. JAX ends up with that and they'd have a hard time passing on Lawrence since he's played in the neighborhood and if they're in that position, we'll see the same response as we saw from the CIN fans when the season became all about Burrow.

OK, you can let me have it now but I just don't think Prescott is good enough to lift this team beyond a mid level team. They ranked #1 in offense and we're 8-8 and what did they look like this season with Prescott at the helm? Is it a risk? Absolutely, but isn't giving Prescott a 4 or 5 X 35-40M a year even a bigger risk when you consider who the team builders are?

This is not about Dak Prescott, I think there are teams he could take to the Big Dance. This is about trying to overcome what's been holding this team back for two and half decades, management.

And if you want to consider something else, this HC had one of the best QB's in the history of the NFL and the most accurate one I have ever seen and he could only get one ring and ended up canned and that team doing better without him.

McC has this rep as a QB guru but who wouldn't with those QB's? The better the QB, the better the guru.

All comes down to one simple question. Do you want more of the same or do you want to take a chance? This is about change but what needs to be changed, management, will not so what's the next best thing?

First off you're another one that wants to lay all the losses at Prescott's feet, especially this season while Prescott was playing the Cowboys defense was 31st and 32nd in the league. For the most part the defense's idea of stopping the other team was when they crossed the goal line and there's only been one offense one time that scored on every series so that's a dream world thought that Prescott didn't score enough points to win.

Next I'm not saying Lawrence will be a bust or nowhere near as dominant in the NFL as he is in college ball, but he wouldn't be the first college player that many to most raved about that did end up as a bust in the NFL. Some just never adapt to the speed of the NFL and/or the speed of NFL defenses.

Before Prescott's injury he was on pace to not just break the NFL passing yardage record but totally smash it. I seriously doubt even the biggest Lawrence fan will say right now he could step in and do that yet you claim right now Lawrence is better than where Prescott was prior to his injury.

I'm not a big McCarthy fan but in you description of him winning only one ring here's what you didn't say. McCarthy's packers went to the playoffs 9 out of 10 years, 8 years in a row and the only other coach to do that is Belicheat. The only year in those 10 years they didn't go to the playoffs Rodgers was injured.

Now getting back to Lawrence. Just about every person in the sporting world says and knows the biggest needs for the Cowboys is on defense but you want to waste the first pick if the Cowboys somehow get it on Lawrence and what makes even less sense is having to use multiple picks probably in multiple years to trade to be able to draft him and that leaves the defense where?

Lastly, I don't know how many times Jones has to say Prescott is his QB and the Cowboys WILL NOT draft any QB's in the first 5 rounds so for fans here to continually start threads trying to push for Lawrence or some other college QB is just a waste of time because of what Jones has said repeatedly.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
30 points a game a difference to you?

Not if the score continues to reflect a 33-30 lose. Hey, you want to continue to score thirty a game and go home a loser because you can't stop anybody, cool. Me, I don't see that as a winning formula and I see no reason to lock cap and prevent any chance of correcting that situation. If that's what you want, that's fine but be clear, that is a stupid way to approach this thing and I am, in no way supportive of it.

Truth be told, all those who support the "Pay The Man" movement have had their chance and they've fallen on their own faces hard. We see the results of that type of management style. You are free to believe that if you wish but don't try and recruit me or even convince me that any of you know what the hell you are talking about. Clearly, that's the wrong approach.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Basically. Not to me too. The continuity. Line will be healthier, D will be healthier and already showing promise along with a real preseason. Toss in some premium defenders from the draft and you got a stew going baby!
There are a couple of things that I always think about with regards to seasons.

1:
Football is a game of attrition.

2:
The way Belichick has a steady state approach knowing that they won't win every season because sometimes things just don't work out. Usually injuries. Some years the Pats didn't win the SB but they maintained the steady approach and won more often everybody else by a big margin.

Belichick was always more likely to trade away an All Pro than to give up picks to trade for one or to massively overpay for one.

Fans want the opposite approach but the make a big trade for a player or the go big in free agency approach fails more often than not.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Lots of posts about something that doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of happening.
Yea but it’s what drives social media and fan forums like this. Pure speculative and provocative thoughts.

blueblood70

Reaction score
30 points a game a difference to you?
i saw that as well not just the points with the Backup they liked like a very good team with Lawrence they looked nearly unbeatable And when lawerence stepped aside they were undefeated in first place in the BCS ,now they are 1-1 lucky to not be 0-2 and dropped to #2

thats the difference between say a wilson vs a dak

its not crazy different but Elite vs just great is difference enough

however that doesnt mean Lawerence is a NFL HOF :Lock at 1
and we arent getting the #1 pick

so this conversation is like Fields how much better can fields be then dak and how long to get there?

My spidey sense says they will trade down and thats the smart make it also says dont couldnt out still taking a QB in the first round like Trask and still get their Defenders they are targeting. They have to plan for Dak holding out or playing on the FT..

now this all hinges on whether Dak has deal before the draft or not but IMHO they should still take a QB in the first , from what ive heard and could be wrong this isnt the strongest draft class for big time defenders and taking them later and more of them is the better play..

Greenbay has done it twice now , NE does it regularly so why not take advantage of trading down and set yourself up for the future..

this is going to be the most unique draft we have had in a decade outside of 2016 but even crazier scenarios and so many tough decsions by the FO and this coaching staff..

phildadon86

Reaction score
Not if the score continues to reflect a 33-30 lose. Hey, you want to continue to score thirty a game and go home a loser because you can't stop anybody, cool. Me, I don't see that as a winning formula and I see no reason to lock cap and prevent any chance of correcting that situation. If that's what you want, that's fine but be clear, that is a stupid way to approach this thing and I am, in no way supportive of it.

Truth be told, all those who support the "Pay The Man" movement have had their chance and they've fallen on their own faces hard. We see the results of that type of management style. You are free to believe that if you wish but don't try and recruit me or even convince me that any of you know what the hell you are talking about. Clearly, that's the wrong approach.
You can easily fix the defense in the draft if we pay Dak. If he puts up 24 a game and we can be a top 20 defense we win ball games.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Yeah, Kelly Leak and his mad WR screen throwing abilities isn’t worth anywhere near that.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Basically what Coach is saying is with our dysfunctional organization the greater talent we have the better odds we have of our owners not screwing it up. Which I tend to agree with.

For years as much as I saw Romo could be enough with a stronger supporting cast I always felt with a Rodgers talent level for example we’d have been even more effective. And possibly had more success.

Coach isn’t bashing Prescott, he just thinks our chances of winning would be greater with a talent like Trevor. Much like most would surely agree we would be with a Mahomes.

And this draft coming up could be that once in an era opportunity for us of landing a QB like that. It’s a reasonable stance or argument however likely or not it is. Just for the sake of discussing if nothing else.