The case for losing in KC serving the greater good

JBS

Reaction score
For a moderator, this guy has some of the worst opinions / ideas on this board..to say this is a bad thread would be an understatement

blueblood70

Reaction score
I do to. As a fan.....it would be nice for the narrative and story to be different than in years past. This year that's been the case. I feel we are a better team than them. I'd love for us to go out there punch them in the mouth and have them rethinking their whole "Swagger" that Mahomes think they got back.

yup regardless of KC chiefs struggles this season, they are still a measuring stick for a team thats in dire need for success...they have the star power and the coaching and will be at their home..this can be our statement game, i know their record doesn't seem like it but they do look at least back on track and moving forward the old chiefs..so this whole odd to say that as we have a much better record to be called statement game but it truly is...

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Another question, do you think this team is winning out from here? Going to end up 15-2? If the the answer is yes, no need to read on.

If not, what are the most important games left on the schedule? 4 division games and AZ. That division is not as locked up yet as we'd like to think because PHL and WFT aren't giving up. I do think the Cowboys will take it but I am not entirely comfortable with that. Been a really weird season so far.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Cowboys fans - want to win meaningless games to screw draft position and lose meaningful games for the greater good. It’s the world we live in today where nothing makes sense anymore.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
I'd sandbag this game against the Chiefs. Give them a false confidence so they'll never know what hit them when we meet in the SB.

Doomsday77

Reaction score
Wow, ok so you are trying to generate a discussion well let me end the discussion by saying there is no case for losing. First, you would need to have not lost any starters from one week to the next for the whole team to make your case. We haven't had our starting lineup play all year together so many won't know what you are talking about. You are starting to sound like a famous or infamous coach at Penn State who loved to say we "learn more from losing than winning..." NOT in the NFL.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How many Not Likes can I give you.

It's time...time to assert the dominance and become that good team we brag about here. Time to show the leadership we brag about here.

Time to make the run....
This is exactly why Reality did not offer the Not Like button when he set this up!

Run means they're going to win out and go 15-2? Meaning they sweep the division, and 3 of the remaining 4 are on the road, and beat NO in NO and take AZ at home? In that case, I withdraw my thread.

But I do not think that is going to happen and I think a sweep of the division is unlikely.

We've seen this team on a roll, DEN, and in a bonce back, ATL, and I will take the bounce back Cowboys.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Prescott made an interesting comment about why he thought they lost that Denver game and that challenge is with this team more than any other because the owner is going to boast about them announcing they have arrived. I agree with him that the Cowboys thought they could just show up.

That humbling experience at home brought a benefit in how they played the next week against a good offense trying to get on a roll. Now, they get another in KC. The Chiefs think they have solved their problems.

There is a fine line between confidence and swagger and the Cowboys were beginning to cross that line before they were embarrassed at home by a team the Eagles easily dealt with in Denver.

The Cowboys have a cushion in the East, although PHL and WFT don't look like they're giving up, and this would be an AFC lost and not count in the tie-breakers.

I know some never want to lose so this question isn't for them. For the greater good of the season, would losing this game serve a better purpose than winning it? Send the message they have more work to do.

I know some are hoping for homefield throughout and that is one slippery slope for such a young team. This very young team that put up that game at home against Denver and we've learned since then it was a very sloppy week of practice. Do we think that can't happen again.

Note: Those that have not lived in the Metroplex with that local media probably don't know what a struggle it is for those players to keep their heads about them. They are either headed for the dumpster or the Superbowl and when you are a young player, it is hard to stay level with all of that swirling around you and it is even worse now because they were really bad last season so the local media will make this more of a thing.

And to compound that, this owner will not dissuade them from going over the top should they win in KC. The mantra will be "if they can win in KC, they can win anywhere".

Parcells knew. That's why he used that "anointing oil" line when they went off the rails about Romo. He never used that in NY or NE.

The biggest lie these coaches and players tell us is that they don't pay attention to any of that. Of course they do, they're human. And they're a winner right now in what Aikman coined "a winner's town" and it concerns me they actually think they've won something before they actually win anything. There is no star that shines brighter than the Cowboys star when they are on a roll.

And I am not talking about a performance like they put up against Denver. A hard fought close loss might be more beneficial than a win with this team.

So, what do you think?
In all seriousness, though.

If the leadership in the room is as great as it's made out to be then the owner can flap his gums all day, everyday and it shouldn't affect the team.

If the team let's the owner's jawing influence them to a great degree then that celebrated "leadership" in the room really isn't there and the team will never get over themselves and will be a easy out against a real contender.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For a moderator, this guy has some of the worst opinions / ideas on this board..to say this is a bad thread would be an understatement
So, I get it that you don't agree and being a moderator has nothing to do with it. And those worst opinions/ideas, is that just among the moderators or the entire populace?

So, that performance against DEN, you think that was an anomaly and can't possibly happen again if the same circumstances are present?

JBS

Reaction score
Hey guys, how high of a draft pick can we get if we lose all of the remaining games?

that’s probably the best course of action for this team

JBS

Reaction score
So, I get it that you don't agree and being a moderator has nothing to do with it. And those worst opinions/ideas, is that just among the moderators or the entire populace?

So, that performance against DEN, you think that was an anomaly and can't possibly happen again if the same circumstances are present?

I don’t think it was an anomaly. It can happen again. But you don’t understand why it happened, which is clear by this thread here. And I can promise you one thing, that won’t happen vs Kc. And I know that bc I know why it happened vs Denver and it’s not the reasons you stated in this thread

BermyStar

Reaction score
So, bb, I can put you down for "not in favor"?

Some coaches view a loss as leverage against the rest of the season. Take Saban, no coach looks for ammo for the upcoming week more than he does and he's a sore loser. However, he used that loss to wake his team up and they haven't played like that again and now realize it's right there in front of them.

Parcells referred to it as "taking the cheese" and Saban's is "rat poison". Letting the media tell you how great you are.

I am glad they bounced back against ATL but this team put that performance against DEN out there after all of the local media jumping on the wagon. They need the "eye of the tiger" if they are to accomplish anything this season. Really a young team or I wouldn't be thinking this way.
If that wasn't "Eye of the Tiger" enough versus Atlanta I don't know what is. I think the team carry on that aggression and approach every game with the same intensity knowing what they are capable of. They were curb stomped vs Denver...no other reminder is required. We beat KC by 2 scores.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In all seriousness, though.

If the leadership in the room is as great as it's made out to be then the owner can flap his gums all day, everyday and it shouldn't affect the team.

If the team let's the owner's jawing influence them to a great degree then that celebrated "leadership" in the room really isn't there and the team will never get over themselves and will be a easy out against a real contender.
It is not the owner as much as the media and in Dallas with the Cowboys, it is quite different than other markets and some of that has to do with the owner.

I look at this game vs the others left on the schedule with 6 against NFC teams and 2 of those in the playoff hunt, 1 leading it.

I do not think the Cowboys need this win as much as the Chiefs do. In fact, to me, this is the least "must win" game left on the schedule.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I believe the Cowboys are still the 2nd or 3rd youngest team in the league.. so they were bound to have to learn some hard lessons like the one they got from Denver.. That said, no, I do NOT want them to lose to KC. Hell I don't want them to lose anymore till next October.. They still have that Denver game fresh in their minds so any time anybody starts getting too full of himself the coaches can just say "remember Denver.." and the message will get home. As a fan I don't need any more "lessons." Go win the damn game..

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don’t think it was an anomaly. It can happen again. But you don’t understand why it happened, which is clear by this thread here. And I can promise you one thing, that won’t happen vs Kc. And I know that bc I know why it happened vs Denver and it’s not the reasons you stated in this thread
Are you going to keep me in suspense or let me in on what happened?

fivetwos

Reaction score
This is exactly why Reality did not offer the Not Like button when he set this up!

Run means they're going to win out and go 15-2? Meaning they sweep the division, and 3 of the remaining 4 are on the road, and beat NO in NO and take AZ at home? In that case, I withdraw my thread.

But I do not think that is going to happen and I think a sweep of the division is unlikely.

We've seen this team on a roll, DEN, and in a bonce back, ATL, and I will take the bounce back Cowboys.
Not sure we need a second "lesson" in three weeks, and definitely can't afford it in this year's NFC, but I'm not sure this game is about that.

KC finally appears a little closer to what they were supposed to be and are poised for a big run.

The teams are similar and evenly matched.

Could go either way, but the only silver lining I see with a loss is its not in conference.

We have a real shot at a 11-1 conference record and I'll put that up confidently in any tiebreaker scenario.

JBS

Reaction score
Are you going to keep me in suspense or let me in on what happened?

It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to understand what happened. Denver dominated the LOS on both sides of the ball. They were far more physical than Dallas. That’s not a great matchup for Dallas and it showed. That’s one of the very best defenses in the nfl. If you are looking for a similar game - look @ NO. That’s the game you should have circled. Not this game this weekend vs KC. NO has a very similar team to the Broncos and if the cowboys don’t adjust from there Broncos game vs NO, they will lose that game too.

We still have time before that game but that game in particular will be interesting. From a long term perspective , there aren’t many , if any, playoff teams that will bring that level of physicality to the table. Speaking solely of the major contenders, obviously, No is in the playoff race but they aren’t contenders.

This idea that the cowboys were overconfident / ate the cheese is nothing but pure crap. They got their butts handed to them bc the other team dominated them and they did that bc of the matchups. Nothing else.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not sure we need a second "lesson" in three weeks, and definitely can't afford it in this year's NFC, but I'm not sure this game is about that.

KC finally appears a little closer to what they were supposed to be and are poised for a big run.

The teams are similar and evenly matched.

Could go either way, but the only silver lining I see with a loss is its not in conference.

We have a real shot at a 11-1 conference record and I'll put that up confidently in any tiebreaker scenario.
And I am not suggesting a second "lesson" like DEN. KC has been to the last 2 SB's and is playing in one of the toughest environments for visitors and seems to have turned their offense around.

Losing to a good team, a worthy team on their turf, is nothing akin to losing to DEN on your own home field as they did. I am thinking measuring themselves against KC and coming up a little short could be a good thing for the rest of the season.