The Case For OL

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Hostile;4507963 said:
In my opinion, Larry Allen was a dominant force always and would have been even without Emmitt. Erik Williams was until a car wreck. Nate Newton could have been that good on any team. Ray Donaldson was great long before he got here. Tuinei may be the only one who was great mostly because of Emmitt.

Erik Williams and LA were no doubt great. But even their greatness could not elevate their teams when they blocked for Sherman Williams, Curvin Richards, Blair Thomas or Troy Hambrick.

Even former pro bowlers did not enjoy "greatness" behind Emmitt's OL: Chris Warren, Herschel Walker, Eddie George

These great OL did not become "great" until Emmitt arrived. In Pearlman's Boys Will Be Boys, Tony Wise tried to rally his OL stating that it was not Emmitt who made them great, but the OL. Not one OL bought it. Both Erik Williams and Nate Newton candidly admitted to this years later.

No doubt Emmitt needed his OL, almost as much as his OL needed him. But Emmitt made that OL, that Offense, that team ... achieve a whole other level of success.

mensaone

Benched
Reaction score
And I been sayin all this time go ahead an finish what we started last year

fix the O line

Draft Decastro

and if no Konz then Brewster or Blake

mensaone

Benched
Reaction score
There is not a Defensive player in this draft that will end up being a better pro football player than, David DeCastro.

HERE HERE

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
SilverStarCowboy;4507829 said:
Barron is an in the box Strong Safety it's what he played almost exclusively in College, his skill set is the likes of what we already know does not work in the NFL...ie the Roy Williams experience.

Dallas knows where the league is headed first hand, they doubtfully want to draft another player that won't be able to contribute in 4 years.

I disagree, he has a lot more speed and range than Roy Williams ever had. He might not be a man coverage guy but he can play the ball and has good range.

TheDallasDon

AegonTheConqueror-Now bend the knee
Reaction score
Doomsday;4508186 said:
I disagree, he has a lot more speed and range than Roy Williams ever had. He might not be a man coverage guy but he can play the ball and has good range.

If we get some pass rush from are Dline and LBrs then the backend would look alot better

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
If NFL GMs read this thread they would be laughing their collective butts off.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Hostile;4507294 said:
Make no mistake about it, we are going to go Defense heavy in this Draft. I know that is going to happen. I just don't think it is the right way to go.

Agree 100% Hostile, the o-line has got to be fixed before this team can take the next step and Livingston and Berdaeu or however you spell his name is like puting a band aid on a severed limb.

If we pass on DeCastoro and Konz and go defense heavy, I guarantee you we will not make the playoffs next season.

Your boy Garrett is not good enough to make chicken salad out of chicken $%^& and if signing 2 JAGs was the plan to fix the oline then it really is chicken #$%^.

My .02

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
mensaone;4508128 said:
There is not a Defensive player in this draft that will end up being a better pro football player than, David DeCastro.

HERE HERE

Agree 100%

However, I am also 100% convinced that our idiot HC and GM are going to take a freaking safety over him.

If we pass on DeCastro we will not make the playoffs next year, because those 2 JAGs we signed are not going to get the job done.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
Hostile;4507963 said:
In my opinion, Larry Allen was a dominant force always and would have been even without Emmitt. Erik Williams was until a car wreck. Nate Newton could have been that good on any team. Ray Donaldson was great long before he got here. Tuinei may be the only one who was great mostly because of Emmitt.

Yet my friend, even so, no matter who we stuck back there the cowboys had no wins when the all time leading rusher didn't play...that oline wasn't able to carry that team even with Aikman, Irvin and the rest of the crew...see the first 2 games of the 93 season...and as Nate himself said they were just ordinary till Emmitt got there than they were great...

let me put it another way since the Cowboys last SB how many SB winners had "GREAT" offensive lines...I grant you they were all solid but how many "GREAT" ones I can't think of any that would put at least 2 of there members in the HOF...

I think a solid Oline is important and it can't be played by chumps...but I think it is less a priority to have great players there because you can get by very well with a solid cohesive unit.

We had little to no continuity last year and little to no experience which equates to no cohesion and as you well know my friend an oline without cohesion cannot long survive the rigors of a NFL season yet ours did a remarkable job when you think about it as a whole...of course lots of credit goes to Tony and playmakers along with the offensive coaches but still a noteworthy effort by the oline.

give it time

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
I will take a gentlemen's bet that DeCastro will be nothing more than solid and will take him at least 6 years before he gets one probowl and he will not be a HOFer and I will go further and say there will be atleast someone in this draft other than the QB's that will be a HOFer.

My reason for saying this is I believe that DeCastro is at or close to his ceiling and he hasn't blocked anybody close(in his college career) to a NFL caliber backup let alone Starter in the NFL and the games that I watched he wasn't all that dominating unless pulling and hitting smaller guys (which he did great).

I realize that I am out on this limb alone on this one it is after all my opinion and others have other opinions just as smelly but thats okay...the best thing about it is we will see if I am wrong heck it won't bother me a bit and I will have to go back and try and see what it was I missed so I can be smarter next time I venture out on a limb and if I am right well I will have the satisfaction that I didn't see gold were there was none.

ooops forgot to state a bet...I will wager you a home grilled steak and a beer (if you are of legal age) should you happen by my way and I want the same in return

burmafrd

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;4508188 said:
If NFL GMs read this thread they would be laughing their collective butts off.

Certainly Matt Millen might. oh wait

burmafrd

Reaction score
Zaxor;4508201 said:
I will take a gentlemen's bet that DeCastro will be nothing more than solid and will take him at least 6 years before he gets one probowl and he will not be a HOFer and I will go further and say there will be atleast someone in this draft other than the QB's that will be a HOFer.

My reason for saying this is I believe that DeCastro is at or close to his ceiling and he hasn't blocked anybody close(in his college career) to a NFL caliber backup let alone Starter in the NFL and the games that I watched he wasn't all that dominating unless pulling and hitting smaller guys (which he did great).

I realize that I am out on this limb alone on this one it is after all my opinion and others have other opinions just as smelly but thats okay...the best thing about it is we will see if I am wrong heck it won't bother me a bit and I will have to go back and try and see what it was I missed so I can be smarter next time I venture out on a limb and if I am right well I will have the satisfaction that I didn't see gold were there was none.

ooops forgot to state a bet...I will wager you a home grilled steak and a beer (if you are of legal age) should you happen by my way and I want the same in return

you are full of crap. All the way. But hey that is your right to be full of crap.

Who did DeMarcus Ware work over in his time in college? EPIC FAIL ON YOUR PART

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
burmafrd;4508234 said:
you are full of crap. All the way. But hey that is your right to be full of crap.

Who did DeMarcus Ware work over in his time in college? EPIC FAIL ON YOUR PART

you crack me up...you try so hard...but still come up very small over and over again

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
sonnyboy;4507751 said:
Really?

We were 15th in points scored and 11th in yards gained.

We were 16th in points allowed and 14th in yards allowed.

So let me do the math.....hmmm 32 teams in the league. OK by math both units were average.

Now if you drill down a little further within those numbers you'll see that the defense rushed the passer and defended the run far better than it defended the pass.

You'll also see that the team passed the ball better than it ran it. Especially in short yardage and goal line situations as evidenced by our 5 Rushing TDs.

I'm no expert, but I'd say that leads me to believe that the 2012 offseason should be spent upgrading our OL and Secondary.

Because passing efficiency has the highest correalation to winning percentage.

We were 4th in the NFL in offensive passing efficiency.

25th in the NFL in defensive passer rating allowed.

It's not rocket science.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
If any NFL offensive line or coordinator coach came to their General Manager and said they needed nothing but 1st round draft picks and guys with 30 million dollar signing bonuses to field a good offensive line, he should be promptly laughed and/or fired on the spot. It's absolutely unprecedented in the NFL how much resources you think we have to sink in the OL to field a good unit. Some of you act like we should trade DeMarcus Ware for an interior linemen if we can't get one in the first round.

Apparently some people think Jason Garrett is an absolutely horrible offensive coach. Even the biggest Garrett hater doesn't make such a damning case against him as his fanboys.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Zaxor;4508201 said:

I'll take your bet minus the beer for me. He will go to the Pro Bowl as a rookie.

visionary

Reaction score
In round 1 I will be happy if:

1) the pick is DL (give me Cox in rd 1 and Chapman in rd 3/4 and our DL could be set for a long time and put real pressure on the QB)
2) the pick is OL (second to DL only because there are really really good options available at the top/middle of rd 2, give me Silatolu in rd 2 and Blake in rd 4)
3) trade down
4) Barron

in that order of preference

burmafrd

Reaction score
Zaxor;4508271 said:
you crack me up...you try so hard...but still come up very small over and over again

got no answer do you? Maybe you ought to think before you post in the future

burmafrd

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;4508307 said:
If any NFL offensive line or coordinator coach came to their General Manager and said they needed nothing but 1st round draft picks and guys with 30 million dollar signing bonuses to field a good offensive line, he should be promptly laughed and/or fired on the spot. It's absolutely unprecedented in the NFL how much resources you think we have to sink in the OL to field a good unit. Some of you act like we should trade DeMarcus Ware for an interior linemen if we can't get one in the first round.

Apparently some people think Jason Garrett is an absolutely horrible offensive coach. Even the biggest Garrett hater doesn't make such a damning case against him as his fanboys.

and once again you sound ridiculous. But if that is your gig....