The case for Pollard

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
You have to be kidding coming off the game Zeke just had. Zeke was the catalyst and kept our D off the field. Sure, find ways to get Pollard more involved. I love the kid but Zeke is not this teams "problem" and he certainly wasn't yesterday.

Why would you think i'm basing my opinion off of yesterday?

I have a whole body of work to go off of and you thought I was basing it off yesterday?

Zeke has not been an explosive back this year and it's gotten worse every year since 2016.

We need big plays. He can still rumble around for 2 and 3 yards all he wants but Pollard needs to play more so we can actually make a big play every now and then.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
You said Zeke doesn't have explosive plays, and Pollard does. What has Barkley's explosive plays netted the Giants?

Is he even making explosive plays? I haven't kept up with the Giants so you tell me.. My guess is he hasn't because they are losing just like the Cowboys haven't made many explosive plays and are 7-7.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Because they don't make enough big plays.

Through the air or on the ground.. They must come from somewhere. If they don't you will lose more times then not.

How much has the Patriots "big play" offense, contributed to their wins?

robjay04

Reaction score
Well we need a change of pace more often because fat boi ain't doing nothing no more but sputtering a few yards.

Derrick Henry and Chris Carson are producing at a similar rate with the same amount of touches.

Pollard might actually house one.

Barkley was injured for most of the season and yes I keep talking about big plays because they correlate to winning.

big plays correlate to winning?

Nick Chubb
Carlos Hyde
Chris Carson
Josh Jacobs
Derrick Henry
Davin Cook
Marlon Mack
Devin Singletary
Phillip Lindsay
Leonard Fournette
Christian McCaffrey
Adrian Peterson
Mark Ingram
Todd Gurley

those are your running backs with 5 or more runs over 20 yards.

Only 5 of those backs would be in the playoffs if it started today.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
We don't know what Pollard is because Zeke and the coaches have capped him.

Again.. Alvin Kamara is a gadget player by these standards. Most RB's aren't getting a ton of carries because teams don't value the run game anymore. They value explosive plays.

If you can get explosive plays from the run game then maybe you run it more.

Some of you are telling me that the good backs get all the carries and all i've said is volume correlates to running success.

See Chris Carson...

People who follow fantasy football closely know this. Fans that don't pay attention to stats probably don't.

Zeke in all of his glory has accomplished nothing for the team. He's awesome, I like him, but he needs his snaps cut down and Pollard needs to play more until Zeke shows some resemblence of 2016 Zeke and not 2019 3 yards and a cloud of dust Zeke.
we know what he is, what he may become we don't know. One of the easiest positions to evaluate from college is RB and one of the easiest positions to adapt to the NFL is RN....we had evaluations of him, so did the other 31 teams that passed on him for 3 rounds (or almost 4 rounds).

we have seen pollard and he is a change of pace back, he has holes in his game and he has gotten most of his yards in garbage time thus "the fantasy points" you so crabve….

Alvin Kamara was not a gadget back or change of pace back. he is as we can see a starting RB, thus NO decided not to keep Ingram. and its funny you say teams don't value running game, yet, of the top 5 passing teams, two is cowboys and KC, and we know what the boys are...and top 5 rushing teams are Ravens, Niners, Sehawks, Vikings, Bills, Cowboys.....and that's a list of the strongest teams in the NFL.

Fantasy not withstanding!!!
good backs get a lot of carries, but getting more carries doesn't necessarily make you into a good back...that's the correlation you failed to make....

and perhaps there is a chance....Carson is a good back? not elite. but good.....

and people who know fantasy football.... leave in fantasy.....

I play fantasy football but I can easily separate NFL reality from fantasy points....

I bet you got into NFL because of fantasy football....

Zeke has the potential to be a HOF back...Pollard at this point has the potential to be a good back up change of pace back....lets see how he progresses....he has long ways to go before he is considered a starting caliber back in the league...your weekly fantasy points not withstanding....btw...in order for you to really see the difference, you need to start subtracting TDs from total fantasy points....a player who gets 40 yards, but 2 TD, will get more points than a players that gets a 110 yards and no TDs...I bet you want the first guy because hey, he got me more points.....fantasy football player logic!

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
big plays correlate to winning?

Nick Chubb
Carlos Hyde
Chris Carson
Josh Jacobs
Derrick Henry
Davin Cook
Marlon Mack
Devin Singletary
Phillip Lindsay
Leonard Fournette
Christian McCaffrey
Adrian Peterson
Mark Ingram
Todd Gurley

those are your running backs with 5 or more runs over 20 yards.

Only 5 of those backs would be in the playoffs if it started today.
he meant winning in fantasy football not real NFL.... come on try to keep up :rolleyes:

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
Why would you think i'm basing my opinion off of yesterday?

I have a whole body of work to go off of and you thought I was basing it off yesterday?

Zeke has not been an explosive back this year and it's gotten worse every year since 2016.

We need big plays. He can still rumble around for 2 and 3 yards all he wants but Pollard needs to play more so we can actually make a big play every now and then.

The problem is you don't think that 5-15 yard runs are big plays. I love the home run but you can't necessarily count on it. I think the formula utilized yesterday is ideal. Get Pollard 10-15 touches. Get him in backfield action, screens etc. I'm not convinced he's the every down back is all.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I don't care how tired Zeke makes the defense.

We're 7-7 with all of his wearing down he does to a defense. He's the one that looks worn down if anything.

We need explosive plays... Zeke isn't giving us those and we have a guy that is primed and ready behind him.

Stop worrying about draft status and contracts and get pollard more involved in the offense is all i'm asking.
zeke = wins
pollard = garbage time yards

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Zeke is proving how important that every down back is in 2019 isn't he?

We're 7-7 with all of his greatness. We were terrible last year until Amari got here too.. Amari got hurt this year and we can barely win a game again.

Zeke in 2016 was different. Absolute homerun hitter.

Those days are gone and we're constantly struggling for big plays.

Most RB's get hurt.. I'm glad Zeke stays healthy but his lack of explosive plays has been a problem this year for our offense.

Pollard is a 215 pound running back. He'll be fine.
in zeke's absence two years ago we went 3-3 and couldn't score 10 points in 3 of those game...hmmm

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Romo injuries and bad coaching.

Zeke is not making big plays.

Pollard needs to take carries away from Zeke.
you are such a fantasy football player....to you big plays is how many points I got in my fantasy league game of the week. I look at some of zeke's play and he may have made a 3 yard run and not many fantasy point, but avoiding getting tackled in the back field and losing 4 yards....that's a big play...but not to fantasy football players......that's the difference between the fantasy land you live in and real football. I wouldn't so openly talk about this too loudly. you will get laughed out of the room.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
You do know Zeke’s average is going to down when m you take short yardage/goal line runs? Take away Zeke’s 4 carries within the 10 and Zeke’s YPC jumps to just shy of 6 YPC.

Cowboys offense was rolling halfway through the 3rd quarter with 5 straight scoring drives. Pollard takes over for a drive, loses yardage twice which led to our only punt of the night besides the first drive of the game.

Actually...Pollard had no gain or negative yardage on 3 of his carries compared to zero for Zeke. Those kind of plays stall drives and limiting those is what makes Zeke special.

I like both players but anyone actually watching the game could see how demoralizing Zeke is. Pollards game compliments his perfectly...I don’t see why we have to drag one down to pick up the other.
but but but...fantasy points.....look at pollard fantasy points....:eek::confused:

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
Zeke is proving how important that every down back is in 2019 isn't he?

We're 7-7 with all of his greatness. We were terrible last year until Amari got here too.. Amari got hurt this year and we can barely win a game again.

Zeke in 2016 was different. Absolute homerun hitter.

Those days are gone and we're constantly struggling for big plays.

Most RB's get hurt.. I'm glad Zeke stays healthy but his lack of explosive plays has been a problem this year for our offense.

Pollard is a 215 pound running back. He'll be fine.
why is it a problem to have long drives that result in points? You keep saying Zeke is 3 yards and a cloud of dust. He's 4.4 ypc. Of the top 10 leaders in rushing (take out Lamar Jackson), only Carson and Ingram have a higher % of runs that result in a first down. Zeke is moving the chains for the #1 ranked offense by yards and the #5 scoring offense. Explain to me how Zeke's lack of explosive plays have been a problem for the offense? The problem for the offense has been drops and penalties, not a lack of Zeke's big runs. You also keep harping on how we are "7-7 with all his greatness". If you actually watched the games and stopped paying so much attention to fantasy football, you would realize that Zeke is so waaaaaay down on the list of problems. But you are a fantasy guru and probably miss those extra few points that he's not giving you for those long TD runs. Might have even cost you a game or two.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
in zeke's absence two years ago we went 3-3 and couldn't score 10 points in 3 of those game...hmmm

He was better 2 years ago and we have had him now and for the first part of last year and last year we were terrible until we acquired Amari and since Amari has been hobbled this year we've been terrible.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
He was better 2 years ago and we have had him now and for the first part of last year and last year we were terrible until we acquired Amari and since Amari has been hobbled this year we've been terrible.
so you are spinning, spinning and dismissing any facts that don't fit your fantasy narrative.....zeke is a top 5 rusher this year..... depending on the next two games, could be top 3 again...hmmmm

there are 10 other pollards in this league...… change of pace back, who get to play in garbage time when game is over and get garbage yards....that's about what he is... not much more....