The case for taking Ezekiel Elliot at # 4

Dorsett33

Reaction score
If your that worried about Romo take a qb with the fourth pick

Getting a QB at #4 would be useless. Even if Romo got hurt in week 3....he would not be ready. I'm all for taking Ezekiel at #4. Or, I'm for Ramsey at #4 if he's on the board. But, Zeke would be the for sure star on this team right away.

thisiscowboyscountry

Reaction score
I disagree with Emmitt. We need an every down RB to replace Demarco Murray and keep Romo upright.

We have already seen that RBBC does not work very well in the Cowboys offensive scheme and leaves Romo vulnerable to injury.

IMO only. That is all.

That would be a bad pick while this draft is loaded with rb talent. Im also not sold on him being a standout talent in the nfl.I do think he will be a productive back but hes not a punishing runner, nor a gamebreaker with speed, and has average vision. I would be dissapointed if he was the pick, as there are more premium position talents on the board at that point in the draft. Jalen Ramsey, Myles Jack, followed by Wentz or Goff should be the draft board. Bosa and Buckner should be in the mix too, but I dont know if the ceiling is as high. Regarding RB, Mcfadden, Morris, Dunbar, and a mid round rookie rb would make a pretty good rb group. No need to add Elliot.

cowboyschmps3

Reaction score
We are not selecting a running back at #4 overall. That pick gets $24M guaranteed, and we didn't even want to give Lamar Miller $24M over 4 years with half of it guaranteed.

Just not going to happen. Maybe in a trade down.

But this would be 5 years with that pick

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We are not selecting a running back at #4 overall. That pick gets $24M guaranteed, and we didn't even want to give Lamar Miller $24M over 4 years with half of it guaranteed.

Just not going to happen. Maybe in a trade down.

.....end of story.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Getting a QB at #4 would be useless. Even if Romo got hurt in week 3....he would not be ready. I'm all for taking Ezekiel at #4. Or, I'm for Ramsey at #4 if he's on the board. But, Zeke would be the for sure star on this team right away.

This is correct. Welcome to the board Tony. You were a great player and you're on your way to being a great poster.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Drafting Elliott does not prevent you from taking one of the RBs next year.

But to start? Given the low priority of the position taking Zeke at 4 is a fools bet. Taking Zeke and another starter back to back would just be ignorance.

LittleD

Reaction score
Winner, winner........chicken dinner. The worry about Romo is real.

If you wouldn't take EE at #4 and you wouldn't take Bosa and Ramsey is gone, you sure shouldn't take one of these QB's being
touted because all 3 are likely busts and not anywhere as highly rated at Mariota last year. I wouldn't waist a high pick on
a bust QB who is going to stand around for 3 years and collect checks.

black label

Reaction score

Useless? Thats the same thing pttsburgh and greenbay fans were saying when they took there qb's.

Roth and Rodgers were both useless according to a bunch of fans lol

Hardline

Reaction score
But to start? Given the low priority of the position taking Zeke at 4 is a fools bet. Taking Zeke and another starter back to back would just be ignorance.

Not if it improves your team. RB is not a low priority. To me the running game is the most important factor in an offense other than QB.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Not if it improves your team. RB is not a low priority. To me the running game is the most important factor in an offense other than QB.

not arguing YOUR philosophy - just what i'm seeing the cowboys do. they won't pay a solid FA in lamar miller and let go of the one successful back we've had in quite some time. their answer to RB seems to NOT be stacking the position but putting general workerbees there and letting the line open it up for them.

Craig

Reaction score
I dont doubt the elliott can be effective in the nfl. Taking him would be drafting for...perceived need. They dont even have a high need for the position though.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
It's probably going to be a QB. But the brass just might pull the trigger on EE at four. We have a really good O-line. Why not make it great up front with an elite running back? All I'm saying is, just don't completely rule it out.

Of all of the first round talents, he could actually improve both the offense and the defense (by helping keep it off the field).

I wouldn't be mad at the pick at #4 at all, I'm just saying that based on how this team manages itself, I don't see it.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
To quote someone on this board...

"We are not selecting a running back RT at #4 overall. That pick gets $24M guaranteed. Just not going to happen. Maybe in a trade down."

Lol

$24M guaranteed for elite talent at tackle is not overspending whatsoever.

Dorsett33

Reaction score
Useless? Thats the same thing pttsburgh and greenbay fans were saying when they took there qb's.

Roth and Rodgers were both useless according to a bunch of fans lol

Don't get me wrong...I'm all for getting a QB, just not with the #4 pick. From what I see (and I'm not a professional scout) we can get a good QB later and develop instead of wasting the #4 pick. To me, drafting that high should be a starter right away. That's all I'm saying.