The case for taking Ezekiel Elliot at # 4

silver

Reaction score
Ok. We agree to disagree. We could get a good QB in later rounds. It doesn't have to be the #4 pick. Your #4 pick SHOULD be a day one starter. Even if Romo goes down and we get a QB in the draft, whether it's at #4, which I highly doubt, or later, he's not playing right away. That I'm sure of. Moore or another vet will play for awhile. If the season is lost, THEN and ONLY THEN will the rookie QB get some playing time. And that's no matter where we draft him. It's gotta be Ramsey or Zeke. Sure starters.

You make a valid point about Zeke & Ramsey. What I dont agree with is the THEN and ONLY THEN part. I think the rookie QB plays if Romo goes down.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
If both QB's and Ramsey are gone, I guess I wouldn't hate it if they take Zeke. It just feels wrong using the #4 overall pick on a RB. There just aren't that many back's that can continue to be dominant after their first 5 seasons, and it feels like a top 5 pick should be a guy that could potentially be on this team for a decade or more.

Would be wrong IMO. If both QBs are off the board and Ramsey is gone, then the best LT in this draft is there and I have to believe that we could trade down and pick up extra picks. Heck, we could trade down and still maybe get Zeke. Would be horrible, IMO, to take Elliot at 4.

LittleD

Reaction score
Would be wrong IMO. If both QBs are off the board and Ramsey is gone, then the best LT in this draft is there and I have to believe that we could trade down and pick up extra picks. Heck, we could trade down and still maybe get Zeke. Would be horrible, IMO, to take Elliot at 4.

If we think Zeke is Emmitt Smith part 2, it would be a mistake to risk losing him. He could make a world of difference to our defense.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
If we think Zeke is Emmitt Smith part 2, it would be a mistake to risk losing him. He could make a world of difference to our defense.

If you think he is Emmitt but here's the thing, nobody including Jimmy, thought Emmitt was the player he turned out be. Zeke is not Emmitt IMO but, if the team thinks that he is, then maybe they take him there but I doubt they do.

LittleD

Reaction score
If you think he is Emmitt but here's the thing, nobody including Jimmy, thought Emmitt was the player he turned out be. Zeke is not Emmitt IMO but, if the team thinks that he is, then maybe they take him there but I doubt they do.

We'll know soon enough...Two weeks and counting down.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
I disagree with Emmitt. We need an every down RB to replace Demarco Murray and keep Romo upright.

We have already seen that RBBC does not work very well in the Cowboys offensive scheme and leaves Romo vulnerable to injury.

IMO only. That is all.

If Henry is still around in the 2nd, TAKE HIM!

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
with both QBs off the table in all likelihood, I am warming up to the very possibility we get Jalen Ramsey. I really really like Elliot but Derek Henry may be there when we pick in 2nd round so how do you justify missing out on picking a sure fire CB pick in Ramsey?

We all know we could use him right now.

Dorsett33

Reaction score
You make a valid point about Zeke & Ramsey. What I dont agree with is the THEN and ONLY THEN part. I think the rookie QB plays if Romo goes down.

Ok. But, I'd be very surprised if we drafted a QB at 4 and he starts if Romo goes down during his rookie season. I'd be very surprised

reddyuta

Reaction score
We are not selecting a running back at #4 overall. That pick gets $24M guaranteed, and we didn't even want to give Lamar Miller $24M over 4 years with half of it guaranteed.

Just not going to happen. Maybe in a trade down.

its that simple.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Trading down from 4 to 7 and getting Zeke is my best case scenario. The offense will be able to impose its will and our defense improves 10 spots cause they will hardly ever be on the field.

I am for that if it works.

slick325

Reaction score
There may be a lot of hurt feelings on this board if Dallas selects Elliott at #4 and when it comes out that he was rated 4th on their board behind 1) Ramsey; 2)Wentz; and 3) Tunsil.

Wonder if those anti-Elliott at #4 people will embrace the player when the season starts or will they become strident Bosa or Tunsil fans with a truckload of rueage.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
with both QBs off the table in all likelihood, I am warming up to the very possibility we get Jalen Ramsey. I really really like Elliot but Derek Henry may be there when we pick in 2nd round so how do you justify missing out on picking a sure fire CB pick in Ramsey?

We all know we could use him right now.

I actually think that there is a chance that one of the top two QBs might be there. If the the guy that Cleveland wants is not there, and according to recent reports that's Goff, then I could seriously see them going another way. I have to believe that this team is a little gun shy on QBs so if the exact one they like is not there, I could easily see them taking a Ramsey or Bosa (who is basically a local boy) or trading out but it's expensive to do that and the only teams that would consider trading up for a QB are Philly (who has nothing to trade with) and SF. There may not be a trade partner there for them. If we can believe what we are hearing, it sounds like the Rams might like Goff better as well so it's reasonable to think that Wentz might actually be there at 4. I see no way that San Diego takes a QB and they really need a LT.

Gaede

Reaction score
I actually think that there is a chance that one of the top two QBs might be there. If the the guy that Cleveland wants is not there, and according to recent reports that's Goff, then I could seriously see them going another way. I have to believe that this team is a little gun shy on QBs so if the exact one they like is not there, I could easily see them taking a Ramsey or Bosa (who is basically a local boy) or trading out but it's expensive to do that and the only teams that would consider trading up for a QB are Philly (who has nothing to trade with) and SF. There may not be a trade partner there for them. If we can believe what we are hearing, it sounds like the Rams might like Goff better as well so it's reasonable to think that Wentz might actually be there at 4. I see no way that San Diego takes a QB and they really need a LT.

I think so as well.

Jackson is no rookie. He came out and basically told everyone who he was going to draft. You don't do that. More than likely, blabbing all over town that you want a QB at 4 with big hands was an attempt to preclude what just happened with the Titans/Rams trade.

We will see if they preferred Goff to Wentz on draft day, but if I was a betting man, I'd say they wanted Goff (hence the big deal over small hands).

There's a definite possibility that Wentz is at 4.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
Ideally, the Cowboys should try and move down a few spots -- at least before the Eagles pick -- if Elliott is their man. I still think they are targeting one of the three QBs, though.

slick325

Reaction score
If by chance Wentz makes it to #4 you take him if the evaluators tell you he can be a franchise guy. Same for Goff. I just think the move by the Rams lends itself to both being off the board before Dallas' pick. Whether it means the Browns trade out of #2 or the Chargers trade out of #3. If Goff goes 1st to the Rams someone will want Wentz before the 4th pick. If Wentz goes 1st then maybe Goff is there...maybe. Pep Hamilton and Hue Jackson "reportedly" like Goff so if they do...they will take him.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
If by chance Wentz makes it to #4 you take him if the evaluators tell you he can be a franchise guy. Same for Goff. I just think the move by the Rams lends itself to both being off the board before Dallas' pick. Whether it means the Browns trade out of #2 or the Chargers trade out of #3. If Goff goes 1st to the Rams someone will want Wentz before the 4th pick. If Wentz goes 1st then maybe Goff is there...maybe. Pep Hamilton and Hue Jackson "reportedly" like Goff so if they do...they will take him.

I would bet that a lot of teams like Wentz but there may not be a lot of teams who have what it takes to trade up.