The case for taking Ezekiel Elliot at # 4

silver

Reaction score
Getting a QB at #4 would be useless. Even if Romo got hurt in week 3....he would not be ready. I'm all for taking Ezekiel at #4. Or, I'm for Ramsey at #4 if he's on the board. But, Zeke would be the for sure star on this team right away.

I doubt it would be useless. Not having anybody as we did in 2015 would be useless. Not learning from the past would be useless.

Dorsett33

Reaction score
Not if it improves your team. RB is not a low priority. To me the running game is the most important factor in an offense other than QB.

Exactly.....did people forget the year we had a dominating offense is when we had a bonafide OL AND RB?

Dorsett33

Reaction score
I doubt it would be useless. Not having anybody as we did in 2015 would be useless. Not learning from the past would be useless.

In my mind....useless to draft a QB with the #4 pick. We can get good quality at that position later in the draft. Why draft a #4 and he may not see the field for 3-4 years? That's useless and a wasted pick. Zeke or Ramsey makes much better sense at #4 than a QB. Even if Romo got hurt in week 3, 4, or 5, the rookie QB wouldn't play anyway. Moore would probably finish the season.

LittleD

Reaction score
In my mind....useless to draft a QB with the #4 pick. We can get good quality at that position later in the draft. Why draft a #4 and he may not see the field for 3-4 years? That's useless and a wasted pick. Zeke or Ramsey makes much better sense at #4 than a QB. Even if Romo got hurt in week 3, 4, or 5, the rookie QB wouldn't play anyway. Moore would probably finish the season.

The odds just went up that Bosa, Zeke, Tunsil or Lynch will be there at #4. We may have to take one of them if
no trade partners materialize.

slick325

Reaction score
I steadfastly believe Elliott has been in play throughout the process and I think he may be rated as one of Dallas' top 5-7 prospects on the Big Board. The Rams trade may make him even more of an option should Ramsey go at #3 to the Chargers. The Cowboys would be looking at Tunsil, Bosa, Elliott and possibly Lynch.

Each has cons: Tunsil...Dallas has their LT in Tyron Smith who is just as young and not going anywhere anytime soon. Not to mention all the resources spent on the OL and the contracts it will take to retain them all except Free. Bosa...is he dynamic enough to warrant the 4th overall pick? Elliott...the RB position is devalued. Lynch...how much development will he need and is he worth the 4th overall pick?

Dallas' pick will be interesting as will the Browns and Chargers.

silver

Reaction score

I doubt that.

If Romo goes down and all we have is Moore, we'll blow the season away again. There's no way after what happened last year, and after bringing in 6 QB's to valley ranch to work out that we are not serious about drafting a QB early and making him the back up to Romo. Whether he's ready or not, thats another issue.

slick325

Reaction score
I doubt that.

If Romo goes down and all we have is Moore, we'll blow the season away again. There's no way after what happened last year, and after bringing in 6 QB's to valley ranch to work out that we are not serious about drafting a QB early and making him the back up to Romo. Whether he's ready or not, thats another issue.

If Romo goes down again Dallas will be picking in the top 5 or top 10 again next year anyway, even if they draft Lynch at 4 or Goff should the Browns not draft him at 2.

Last edited:

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
This again...

michael-scott-no.gif

LOL...

I know.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
If Romo goes down again Dallas will be picking in the top 5 or top 10 again next year anyway even if they draft Lynch at 4 or Goff should the Browns not draft him at 2.

To me, this is an interesting point. I look at what it cost to move up and I think that it even further illustrates why the Cowboys should take their QB this year if the opportunity is there. No guarantee we will pick this high, even if Tony goes down. I would have to think that we would do better next year, even if just a win or two better. It is so expensive to move up in the draft, I just think you have to try and take a QB if you can.

slick325

Reaction score
To me, this is an interesting point. I look at what it cost to move up and I think that it even further illustrates why the Cowboys should take their QB this year if the opportunity is there. No guarantee we will pick this high, even if Tony goes down. I would have to think that we would do better next year, even if just a win or two better. It is so expensive to move up in the draft, I just think you have to try and take a QB if you can.

This is the most interesting draft for the Boys in recent memory...what to do...what to do.

silver

Reaction score
If Romo goes down again Dallas will be picking in the top 5 or top 10 again next year anyway even if they draft Lynch at 4 or Goff should the Browns not draft him at 2.

If we dont draft a QB we'll be back at #4 for sure. At least with a QB we'll have a fighting chance. If anything we´re building for the future.

Dorsett33

Reaction score
I doubt that.

Ok. We agree to disagree. We could get a good QB in later rounds. It doesn't have to be the #4 pick. Your #4 pick SHOULD be a day one starter. Even if Romo goes down and we get a QB in the draft, whether it's at #4, which I highly doubt, or later, he's not playing right away. That I'm sure of. Moore or another vet will play for awhile. If the season is lost, THEN and ONLY THEN will the rookie QB get some playing time. And that's no matter where we draft him. It's gotta be Ramsey or Zeke. Sure starters.

Dorsett33

Reaction score
I'm going to say this.....if we pass on Zeke. And the Eagles draft him, as rumor has that they are interested in him. It will haunt Dallas for a long time.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Ok. We agree to disagree. We could get a good QB in later rounds. It doesn't have to be the #4 pick. Your #4 pick SHOULD be a day one starter. Even if Romo goes down and we get a QB in the draft, whether it's at #4, which I highly doubt, or later, he's not playing right away. That I'm sure of. Moore or another vet will play for awhile. If the season is lost, THEN and ONLY THEN will the rookie QB get some playing time. And that's no matter where we draft him. It's gotta be Ramsey or Zeke. Sure starters.

Yeah, I disagree as well. If you like a QB as a Franchise QB at 4, then you take him. I don't care if he sits two years, you take him. You pick starters all day and half the night but without a QB, you aren't winning. I just think you have to do this if there is a guy there you like.

Dorsett33

Reaction score
Yeah, I disagree as well. If you like a QB as a Franchise QB at 4, then you take him. I don't care if he sits two years, you take him. You pick starters all day and half the night but without a QB, you aren't winning. I just think you have to do this if there is a guy there you like.

That's cool, but look at your history of QBs and see how many GREAT QBs we've had in the NFL that weren't 1st Rd QBs. Personally, I don't see one QB that stands out that's worth taking at #4 to sit the bench. If he sits for 3-4 years, hell, he may sign his next contract with another team. They gotta stay away from QB with the NUMBER 4 pick.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
That's cool, but look at your history of QBs and see how many GREAT QBs we've had in the NFL that weren't 1st Rd QBs. Personally, I don't see one QB that stands out that's worth taking at #4 to sit the bench. If he sits for 3-4 years, hell, he may sign his next contract with another team. They gotta stay away from QB with the NUMBER 4 pick.

No. I know exactly how many great QBs we've had in the NFL that weren't first round picks, in fact I post them in a thread, not all that long ago. However, and you really can't argue the numbers, the ratio of success for 1st round QBs is markedly higher. Are they all successful? No, they are not but your chances are much better. None of this is new and we all know it. If there is a QB we like at 4, you gotta take him. There may be other QBs later you can hope to develop but there is no guarantee you will have a chance to draft them. You can walk away with nothing, just depending. If you look at it, there are way more good RBs later in the draft then there are QB options.

Dorsett33

Reaction score
No. I know exactly how many great QBs we've had in the NFL that weren't first round picks, in fact I post them in a thread, not all that long ago. However, and you really can't argue the numbers, the ratio of success for 1st round QBs is markedly higher. Are they all successful? No, they are not but your chances are much better. None of this is new and we all know it. If there is a QB we like at 4, you gotta take him. There may be other QBs later you can hope to develop but there is no guarantee you will have a chance to draft them. You can walk away with nothing, just depending. If you look at it, there are way more good RBs later in the draft then there are QB options.

Well, we agree to disagree. And I agree there are good RBs in the draft. But you're not going to find one as special as Zeke that can run, block and catch out of the backfield. We'll find a QB later in the draft. I'm ok with Ramsey. But, the pick has to be Ramsey or Zeke...in my opinion.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Well, we agree to disagree. And I agree there are good RBs in the draft. But you're not going to find one as special as Zeke that can run, block and catch out of the backfield. We'll find a QB later in the draft. I'm ok with Ramsey. But, the pick has to be Ramsey or Zeke...in my opinion.

I think there are a couple of RBs in this draft that can run, catch and block but yeah, we just disagree and that's OK.

Virginia-Dave

Reaction score
If both QB's and Ramsey are gone, I guess I wouldn't hate it if they take Zeke. It just feels wrong using the #4 overall pick on a RB. There just aren't that many back's that can continue to be dominant after their first 5 seasons, and it feels like a top 5 pick should be a guy that could potentially be on this team for a decade or more.