The Celtics are Nasty!

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
24-3 and 2-0 on West coast string.
Officially 1/3 of season booked. Winning at a .889 clip
That projects to 73-9......

Back to back starting tonight will be a test. Garnett and Allen need big night tonight. Utah is tough at home.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Update

25-3
Nice win on the road against a Utah team that was 10-2 at home. 3-0 on roadtrip. Back to Back and Lakers tomorrow another challenge.

irvin88

Reaction score
Nors;1864331 said:
Update

25-3
Nice win on the road against a Utah team that was 10-2 at home. 3-0 on roadtrip. Back to Back and Lakers tomorrow another challenge.

talk to me after you play SA, DAL, and Suns.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
irvin88;1864362 said:
talk to me after you play SA, DAL, and Suns.

Those teams have roughly 30 losses combined -

We will talk after we play - Spurs only team that is in our stratosphere.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
What is starting to be clear,

All this West Coast bravado might be up for a REAL firefight in a 7 game series with Boston home court advantage...... You were warned!

irvin88

Reaction score
Nors;1864380 said:
Those teams have roughly 30 losses combined -

We will talk after we play - Spurs only team that is in our stratosphere.

you aren't even as good as detroit.

You just beat 2 garbage teams in Sac and Seattle. Utah and Lakers are about the 6th and 7th seeds in West.

irvin88

Reaction score
Nors;1864458 said:
What is starting to be clear,

All this West Coast bravado might be up for a REAL firefight in a 7 game series with Boston home court advantage...... You were warned!

I watched SA play Minnesota in the playoffs one year. Duncan absolutely urinates on Garnett.

Ginobli is better than Allen at this stage.

Parker vs. Rondo is laughable.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
26-4 is 26-4

We'll see what Duncan can do when matched up against 3 All Stars and a Big Baby!

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
irvin88;1868915 said:
you aren't even as good as detroit.

You just beat 2 garbage teams in Sac and Seattle. Utah and Lakers are about the 6th and 7th seeds in West.

Spurs are only 15-7 in the West
Celtics are now 8-0 in the West

I know now it's only January and it's a statistical blip.

The Leprechan Tsunami is coming and when you see it, it is going to be too late! Crushed by the Green.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
NBA questions: How good are the Celtics? Mon Dec 31, 11:25 AM ET

By Stan McNeal -

ADVERTISEMENT

Questions to ponder while wondering if the Lakers have burned those tiny short shorts they broke out -- for the first half -- against the Celtics Sunday night?

Just how good are the Celtics?

Very, very good, in case you haven't been paying attention. If you didn't think this was a team headed for a special season before Sunday night, you have to believe it is now. Consider: This was the fourth game in five nights on a trip to the West, the second of a back to back, in the first game they had to scrap and claw to beat the Jazz in a playoff-like atmosphere and, in the Lakers, the Celtics were facing a tough opponent that has been playing well. Oh yeah, the Celtics were without starting PG Rajon Rondo (hamstring).

And it absolutely was no contest. The Lakers scored the first basket but never led again. The Lakers shot a season-low 35.4 percent and while Kobe and Co. missed plenty of open and close shots (No wonder they got rid of the short shorts at the half), the Celtics have to get most of the credit.

Boston's big three was dominant -- Paul Pierce scored 8 points on three steals in the last 90 seconds of the third quarter and finished with 33, Ray Allen shot like Ray Allen and finished with 19, and Kevin Garnett went for 22, 12 and 6 even though he missed a few minutes to get two stitches to the forehead. The Lakers' big two were dreadful. Kobe Bryant missed 19 of his 25 shots and Andrew Bynum looked like a lost 20-year-old, fouling out in 22 minutes while managing only eight points and two rebounds.

So the 26-3 Celtics passed the first real test on their schedule with a 4-0 record, and now head home for games against the Rockets and Grizzlies Wednesday and Friday. Then it's off to Detroit for a rematch against the Pistons on Saturday. The night the Celtics lost to the Pistons two weeks ago, a scout told me that Boston had the look of a team that could win 65-plus games. I think he might be right.

irvin88

Reaction score
Nors;1869310 said:
Spurs are only 15-7 in the West
Celtics are now 8-0 in the West

I know now it's only January and it's a statistical blip.

The Leprechan Tsunami is coming and when you see it, it is going to be too late! Crushed by the Green.

:laugh2:

Spurs turn it on when needed. Detroit already beat you in Boston. No answer for Billups.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
irvin88;1870283 said:
:laugh2:

Spurs turn it on when needed. Detroit already beat you in Boston. No answer for Billups.

We had the ball with 5 seconds and tied. Pierce got a look before Detroit won at buzzer. Thats hardly getting beat. All 4 losses came down to wire. Celtics could be 30-0.

Eventually a West team will win one against Celtics.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Edit above post to 3 Losses.....

good read

And that was before Garnett and Paul Pierce got done with the Lakers. Garnett totaled 22 points, 12 rebounds, six assists, three blocks and two steals, but his contributions began some 10 hours earlier when the Celtics met in a ballroom at their hotel to go over the game plan.

"He probably asked 15 questions," Rivers said of Garnett. "It took us forever to get through the shootaround. But he has to make sure things are right for him, and I think he also does it sometimes for the other guys to understand."

Garnett has set the tone for a defense that ranks tops in the league in three major statistical categories (points allowed and opponents' field-goal and three-point percentage). On Sunday, the Celtics held Los Angeles scoreless for nearly five minutes in the second half. Garnett also kept his composure in a chippy game that included seven technicals and one flagrant foul, the last of which occurred on Lamar Odom's late takedown of Ray Allen.

"I got the rebound and he tackled me," Allen said. "I know it's Sunday, but this is the wrong field."

Garnett stayed true through it all. The big stage rarely has rattled him because he treats each practice, each game the same. "Kevin," Pierce said, "has been like that since he was 15, 16 years old."

"I'm motivated night in and night out for whoever we're playing," Garnett said. "Whether we're in Philly, whether we're in New York. It just so happened to be L.A. tonight."

That intensity has proved too much at times for some of Garnett's less experienced and weaker teammates in Minnesota. Not so with the Celtics. The younger players, like rookie Glen "Big Baby" Davis, listen when he speaks. The veterans, too, follow his emotional lead.

"I'm with a team that puts it out every night," Garnett said, and that's all he ever has asked.

Johnny Ludden covers the NBA for Yahoo! Sports Send Johnny a question or comment for potential use in a future column or webcast.

irvin88

Reaction score
Hamilton, Billups send Pistons to 114-69 rout of Bucks

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. (AP) -The Detroit Pistons have put on several impressive performances during their recent run atop the Eastern Conference.

They've never looked better than this.

Richard Hamilton scored 22 points and Chauncey Billups added 13 points and 12 assists, helping the Pistons rout the Milwaukee Bucks 114-69 Monday for their ninth straight win and 17th in 19 games.

Detroit has won nine games by 18 points or more in that stretch.

``We knew we were capable of playing at this level, but I'm still extremely happy to see it happen,'' Billups said. ``We know that we're going to have serious advantages on offense every night, and we're really locked in defensively right now.''

It was Detroit's biggest win since a 52-point victory at Boston on Jan. 31, 2003.

``I don't know if I've had a team that has gone through this kind of stretch where they have been so aggressive and dominating over such a long period of time,'' said Detroit coach Flip Saunders. ``When we're playing this well on both ends of the court, these guys are going to be awfully tough to beat.''

One of the differences between this Pistons team and the squads that have made five straight conference finals is their deeper bench.

``They're like caged animals out there, and it's just so much fun to watch,'' Billups said.

Detroit's reserves outscored Milwaukee's 47-22.

``This is a young group, so we are going to play hard no matter what the score is,'' said rookie Arron Afflalo, one of six Pistons bench players to score at least six points. ``That's how we learn things.''

The game got so lopsided that Billups threw down a rare dunk late in the third quarter, giving him a 1-0 season lead in his unofficial contest against Afflalo.

``I had to do that, because a lot of the rookies probably didn't have TVs yet the last time I dunked,'' he said after the game. ``We still have no evidence that Afflalo can even do it.''

The 45-point margin of defeat was the third-worst in Bucks history, trailing a pair of 48-point losses. Milwaukee has lost four straight and six of seven.

``It just doesn't make sense,'' Bucks coach Larry Krystkowiak said. ``We're not mentally ready to come out of the locker room, take care of the ball and do all the right stuff. The act is getting a little bit old right now.''

The Pistons finished with a season-high 33 assists against just 13 turnovers, while the Bucks had 21 turnovers and 14 assists.

Michael Redd led the Bucks with 18 points, and Yi Jianlian had 12, but no one else reached double figures. Milwaukee lost twice to Detroit in December by an average of 35.5 points.

``It's getting ridiculous,'' said Andrew Bogut, who finished with eight in 32 minutes. ``We didn't come in here with the confidence to win. It seems like they are the king of the mountain, and we're scared to play against them.''

The Pistons took control early, leading by 10 midway through the first and by as many as 20 before taking a 56-37 advantage into the intermission. The Pistons outshot the Bucks 57.5 percent to 41.2 percent in the half, and forced 14 turnovers while only committing five.

Billups started the third quarter with a long 3-pointer, giving Detroit a 22-point lead, and the Bucks collapsed.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Detroit is good,
Beating Bucks not all that impressive.

But they are good, won a championship recently too.

MC KAos

Reaction score
dont forget the history, or lackthereof, the "3 allstars" have in the playoffs, what will they do when the going gets tough? history shows they will crumble, specially garnett, who i think has won only 1 game against duncan in the playoffs in 2 separate series

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
MC KAos;1871437 said:
dont forget the history, or lackthereof, the "3 allstars" have in the playoffs, what will they do when the going gets tough? history shows they will crumble, specially garnett, who i think has won only 1 game against duncan in the playoffs in 2 separate series

You keep living in the past.

Allen, Pierce AND Garnett are going to be tough to stop in the present.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Garnett never really had much support before. Duncan had a lot of help vs Garnett- it was not a lot of one on one.

MC KAos

Reaction score
burmafrd;1871757 said:
Garnett never really had much support before. Duncan had a lot of help vs Garnett- it was not a lot of one on one.

no, its the fact that duncan and garnett are pretty equal offensively but like always, people ignore the fact that duncan is the single most intimidating defensive player in the nba, his mere presence affects the way teams attack the spurs, and he is the reason the spurs have been such a good defensive team. Keep telling yourself whatever you want, but if playoff performance is any indication, duncan>garnett and its no contest.

ps, you think duncan would allow ANY team he is on to miss the playoffs? dont think so