The Celtics are Nasty!

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
The regular season means nothing. In the NBA, there are only a handful of teams that can contend for the title. What matters is how you fare against those teams. As a Suns fan, I argue with my own fans regarding that. People wanted to celebrate our 60 wins last year but I didn't.

The Celtics still haven't played the Suns or Spurs. Along with the Celtics, those are the 3 best teams in the NBA. I want to see how the Celtics do against the Suns and Spurs before "I crown em"

And to be honest, I'm not judging my Suns until the postseason either because it's another thing entirely to beat a team in a 7 game series. Any team can get a fluke win on a given night but to beat a team like the Spurs in a 7 game series means you are the real deal. I wouldn't be suprised if Boston finishes with 70 wins and loses to a 60 win Spurs in 5 games in the finals.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
mr.jameswoods;1883254 said:
The regular season means nothing. In the NBA, there are only a handful of teams that can contend for the title. What matters is how you fare against those teams. As a Suns fan, I argue with my own fans regarding that. People wanted to celebrate our 60 wins last year but I didn't.

The Celtics still haven't played the Suns or Spurs. Along with the Celtics, those are the 3 best teams in the NBA. I want to see how the Celtics do against the Suns and Spurs before "I crown em"

And to be honest, I'm not judging my Suns until the postseason either because it's another thing entirely to beat a team in a 7 game series. Any team can get a fluke win on a given night but to beat a team like the Spurs in a 7 game series means you are the real deal. I wouldn't be suprised if Boston finishes with 70 wins and loses to a 60 win Spurs in 5 games in the finals.

At some point you need to realize the Celtics just might be "pretty good" - lol Our 3 Losses all came down to buzzer. Thats dominant......

We are 10-0 against the west and Spurs are what 16-8 or something close to that?

And if we continue to win at a .910 clip, Playoffs run through Boston. You have to do it in our house.

Detroit and Miami have won recent Championships so the gap really is not that big. Spurs now have a heavyweight opponent in Celtics. We will see if they can now react to being punched.

SA_Gunslinger

Official CZ Ea-girls hater
Reaction score
Nors;1883312 said:
Spurs now have a heavyweight opponent in Celtics. We will see if they can now react to being punched.

:lmao2:

they haven't done anything to SA yet.

and I hope they punch harder than the mavs did last year, with that same better record.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
Nors;1883312 said:
At some point you need to realize the Celtics just might be "pretty good" - lol Our 3 Losses all came down to buzzer. Thats dominant......

We are 10-0 against the west and Spurs are what 16-8 or something close to that?

And if we continue to win at a .910 clip, Playoffs run through Boston. You have to do it in our house.

Detroit and Miami have won recent Championships so the gap really is not that big. Spurs now have a heavyweight opponent in Celtics. We will see if they can now react to being punched.

Detroit is the only contender you played this year and you split with them. The Miami Heat are terrible and are tied for the second worst record in the NBA with 8 wins so why list them? The west has become more competitive as teams like New Orleans, Portland, LA Lakers and Denver Nuggets have improved. Aside from the conference leaders, the rest of the teams in the east are terrible. Look at the Cavs and the Bulls. Those were two teams that were supposed to contend for the title and they fell off the map. So it's laughable that you would even say the discrepancy between the east and west isn't as large as it was because the discrepancy has become even bigger with the exception of the Celtics success. I think you need to look at the NBA standing before making future comments about the NBA. For example, the Suns are 12-2 against the Eastern Conference; the Spurs are 8-1 against the East; the Mavs are 13-1 against the East so you tell me about discrepancy? You haven't played the Spurs, Mavs, Suns or Hornets so you have yet to face the best the west has to offer. And unlike Boston, the Spurs, Mavs and Suns are veteran teams that don't care about the regular season. They are pacing themselves. This is just a new feeling for the Celtics so they get excited and motvated to play every regular season game.

I think you are gloating a little too much. If you watch the NBA, you know the regular season means nothing. And even if they go through Boston, you still have to beat a team in 7 games. This isn't the NFL in which one game seals it. You lose one game at home and the the home advantage switches the other way. I'm a Suns fan and I can speak first hand about how the regular season records means nothing. The Suns won the 60 games in 2 of the last 3 NBA regular season only to fall short in the playoffs. So I don't think I'm asking a lot for you to show a little patience. The Mavs won nearly 70 games last year and what happened to them?

You guys remind me of the 2004/2005 Suns. Winning like this is new to you so it's still exciting to your team. You take every regular season game seriously and get amped after every win. We are a veteran team now and are pacing ourselves. We realize the regular doesn't mean anything. Homefield is overrated because one win away erases that homefield edge. In my opinion, your season does'n't start until January 31st, the date you face the Mavericks.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
New Orleans, Portland, LA Lakers and Denver Nuggets have improved

And we spanked most all of them all

And the great West teams you reference all are at or have more than 10 losses.

29-3 is real, we shall see how second half of season transpires.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
Nors;1883657 said:
New Orleans, Portland, LA Lakers and Denver Nuggets have improved

And we spanked most all of them all

And the great West teams you reference all are at or have more than 10 losses.

29-3 is real, we shall see how second half of season transpires.

You only played 10 western teams and none of those included New Orleans, Portland, Phoenix, Dallas or San Antonio. And if the teams in the west played your pansy Eastern conference schedule they wouldn't have 10 losses as evidence of their record versus eastern conference teams

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
mr.jameswoods;1883787 said:
You only played 10 western teams and none of those included New Orleans, Portland, Phoenix, Dallas or San Antonio. And if the teams in the west played your pansy Eastern conference schedule they wouldn't have 10 losses as evidence of their record versus eastern conference teams

And how do you explain all your West losses (8)? when
We are 10-0 versus West and coming at you.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
Nors;1883814 said:

Have you played the exact same teams we did? There are more than 10 teams in the western conference.

MC KAos

Reaction score
its so early in the season its not even funny. In NFL terms its like when the lions were 6-2, but its not even THAT late! i cant wait for the playoffs to start, second round that is, first round is worthless, well, unless your a mavs fan

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
MC KAos;1883856 said:
its so early in the season its not even funny. In NFL terms its like when the lions were 6-2, but its not even THAT late! i cant wait for the playoffs to start, second round that is, first round is worthless, well, unless your a mavs fan

Exactly, the Suns were 31-4 in the 2004/2005 season and look what happened to them in the playoffs. Keep in mind, the Suns achieved that record playing in a much tougher conference. Even the eastern conference was arguably tougher then than it is now. The NBA regular season means nothing.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
mr.jameswoods;1883823 said:
Have you played the exact same teams we did? There are more than 10 teams in the western conference.

You have 8 losses there and we are undefeated against the West. Yes we beat some you lost to.

But target is on your back and we are coming for you.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
Nors;1883867 said:
You have 8 losses there and we are undefeated against the West. Yes we beat some you lost to.

But target is on your back and we are coming for you.

We also played 9 more games against western conference teams. You really think we would have 10 losses had those 9 teams been against the East? We also beat Orlando and Cleveland which accounted for 2 of your 3 losses; we didn't play Detroit. I would just focus on beating Dallas on the 31st before you think about us. And I'm going to that Boston game. It will be nice when you guys finally start playing some real opponents

Ren

Reaction score
after what the mavs did last year i really don't understand how anyone can be to exited about regular season records other then playoff seeding

MC KAos

Reaction score
stay classy new england!

PISTONS CORNER: Celtic mocks Detroit fans; Piston says: 'They're acting like they won the title'

January 7, 2008
BY KRISTA JAHNKE
FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

Next time the Celtics and Pistons meet, Detroit might do well to remember the way Boston walked off the floor after their 92-85 win at the Palace on Saturday.

It should serve as fine motivation.

The Celtics made quite a show of their win, with Paul Pierce yelling that the Celtics are the best team in the league, with several Celtics "popping" their jerseys, and, according to an ESPN.com report, with forward James Posey yelling to courtside fans, "Thanks for coming" and a mocking "Deeeee-troit basketball."

In the Pistons' locker room, that display was met with some smirks.

"They're acting like they won the title," forward Amir Johnson said.

Point guard Chauncey Billups took it one step further.

"They're a little more happy than I know we were when we won our game out there," Billups said. "It was just like a regular game for us with two good teams playing. They were kind of playing like it's the Super Bowl, man.

"It's just a regular game with two good teams playing. There was probably a little more at stake for them and their psyche than there was for us. But they won. It's cool."

After the cool-down period, some Celtics displayed a little more respect in their comments to the media.

Pierce said, "I think we felt we didn't want this game to get away. I thought the first game in Boston we outshot them but didn't get the win. Tonight we played great defense, and I think that was the difference in the game. However, you can't take anything away from Detroit; they are a great team, and we are still learning from them what it is like to be in these tougher games. Today was a big step."

DEFENSE DELIGHT: The Celtics certainly did bother the Pistons with their tough defense, especially when forward Kevin Garnett was in the game. When he went to the bench early with two fouls, the Pistons went on a 15-2 run.

They spent the rest of the game bogged down chasing mismatches and failing to move the ball from strong-side to weak-side. As a result, they rarely found openings to get the ball into the post.

When they did, they missed. The Pistons didn't attempt any shots from within 13 feet in the fourth quarter, and the Pistons were outscored, 26-0, in the paint in the second half.

"I don't think either team offensively was great," coach Flip Saunders said. "Both teams shot around 40%. They kicked us on the boards, which really hurt us. But we rushed shots, we didn't play in the flow we've been playing. They had something to do with that, as far as how they played."

Still, Billups, ever the finder of positives, said the Pistons fared well considering how poorly they played.

We should have lost by 14," he said. "But we didn't. We kept fighting. But they got the win, that's the bottom line."

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...801070354/1051

SA_Gunslinger

Official CZ Ea-girls hater
Reaction score
Nors;1883814 said:

i assure you, regardless of wins and losses, playing mostly western teams readies you for the playoffs way more than playing mostly eastern teams.

period.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Celtics without Allen looked terrible tonight. Refs were totally horrid.

A FLAT LOSS - Richardson, who let that guy go? He was hitting all night from everywhere! This was old Celts trying to rely on Pierce to carry team too much - Bad loss.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
Nors;1889766 said:
Celtics without Allen looked terrible tonight. Refs were totally horrid.

A FLAT LOSS - Richardson, who let that guy go? He was hitting all night from everywhere! This was old Celts trying to rely on Pierce to carry team too much - Bad loss.

blaming the refs for the loss huh.........typical of Chowds.....they cant accept a loss or give credit to the opponent...it had to be cause they played bad or the refs beat em....

keep working on those excuses....you will get to use them a lot come May or June....when the Celts lose in the postseason.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
Dallas also beat Detroit. I think Boston and Detroit will realize it's not so easy to rack up wins against Dallas, San Antonio, Phoenix and New Orleans.

The Celtics are an immature team. You can tell they get really excited by their wins but they are the type of team that will get really affected by their losses. They remind me of the Suns in 2004/2005. Veteran teams have the right mentality in that they are pretty steady. If the Celtics manage to lose a string of games, it will affect them greater than if affected a team like the Spurs, Suns, or Mavs.

In a playoff series and assuming everyone is healthy, I'm not certain the Celtics would beat Detroit I think that would be a good matchup.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
I am being perfectly objective, the refs really screwed the Celtics all night long. I personally think some refs do it just to piss of Tommy Heinson - it's hysterical how mad he gets!

I gave Richardson his due, he was on Fire.Seemed like everything he threw up was going down.

Pierce can't carry a team, Garnett is a Hall of Famer, but to my eyes Ray Allen is the true leader of the Celtics. He is very poised, in control and a calming influence on the court. Not to mention he always seems to hit the important shots that can swing momentum or win games.