The clock is ticking on Prescott

stiletto

Reaction score
Yea, that could be a possibility as well. Another problem is that with Dak starting this year, odds are we are going to win too many games to be drafting high (Dak always dog walks the scrub teams and our division rivals, but loses when we play teams like the 49ers), so we are probably drafting in the 20s.

That means we either have to put a draft haul together to move up into the top 10, or draft a guy that is considered "developmental" that can sit and learn while our vet journeymen QB is the starter for a year or two.

Either way, going to be interesting to see how the Cowboys navigate all of this..........and dont forget about Lamb, we still got to get him signed as well.
Lamb is going to be signed... Our future QB needs him. I am actually positive. The last draft is looking like a home run. Guyton, Beebe? Two possible long term starters on the OL? That's insane. I prefer to think the future is bright. No way I pay an old *** choking QB 60+ million. that would be insane. Clear the cap and load up! March forward.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
If Cowboys don’t have a deal signed within 16 days, the beginning of regular season, by most estimations this will be his last season in Dallas.

I know many fans feel he’ll be playing this season for a new contract but most accounts are if he needs to prove more to the Cowboys Mgmt he’d rather move on.

And most critics and analysts would argue he will be highly sought after despite some fans and detractors who cast him off as damaged goods , a less than franchise QB. Just too much demand for QB’s in the NFL.

I’m not advocating for resigning him but simply pointing out what the altercations and impacts could be . We shall know soon what the direction is for the Cowboys moving forward . And that decision could very well derail hopes this season will be more than a dumpster fire and potential disaster with a lame duck HC and QB which presents so much uncertainty. We’ll need an extra bag of popcorn:)
What a poorly run franchise.

stiletto

Reaction score
I don’t think it was that tough to move on from Aaron Rodgers. He was pushing 40 and he was creating a lot of drama. The Packers fans were ready for him to leave and so was the team. In his last six playoff games he was 2-4.
LOL you are worrying about moving off Dak Prescott but you don't think it would be tough to move on from Aaron Rodgers as a fan? Not sure I can help you. You are kind of in denial bro.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
LOL you are worrying about moving off Dak Prescott but you don't think it would be tough to move on from Aaron Rodgers as a fan? Not sure I can help you. You are kind of in denial bro.
I’m just telling you what fans in Green Bay were saying. They were tired of him and they weren’t winning in the playoffs. Jordan Love had gotten some opportunities and looked pretty good and fans and the team were ready to move on to him. I’m worried about moving on from Dak because we don’t have a Jordan Love behind him. Are you looking forward to moving on to Trey Lance or Cooper Rush? I’m not in denial. I’m just telling it like it is. Maybe you’re looking forward to a QB carousel for who knows how long, but I’m not.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Does that justify paying Dak $60+ million and mortgaging the future? What is the balance here? What is the end game?
You’d have to ask our owner. I have a feeling what he’d say. Based on what he’s already said.

Unfortunately we aren’t ran like other more normal franchises.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This team isn't better this year and they couldn't do it last year. There hasn't been any changes to make me think it will be different. Years of history shows what is likely to happen in the future.
I definitely agree that our recent history is an example what happens in the near future.

And our owners , at least thus far , seem to be ok with hanging around the rim remaining relevant and interesting.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
I’m just telling you what fans in Green Bay were saying. They were tired of him and they weren’t winning in the playoffs. Jordan Love had gotten some opportunities and looked pretty good and fans and the team were ready to move on to him. I’m worried about moving on from Dak because we don’t have a Jordan Love behind him. Are you looking forward to moving on to Trey Lance or Cooper Rush? I’m not in denial. I’m just telling it like it is. Maybe you’re looking forward to a QB carousel for who knows how long, but I’m not.
I guess if you’re just telling us you must be right.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Agreed there, thats why we need to draft a guy and turn it over in 2025. One more year of Dak.
We should have drafted one this year if that was our intention. We could have traded Prescott for some draft capital , which he would have taken knowing he’d be benched and or wasn’t the future, and possibly moved up in draft and or used our 1st round pick next year.

But I suspect Jethro & Son despite the embarrassing playoff debacle are still All In and just trying to play out the horrid public perception to cave in. They have always believed Prescott is Elite.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Unfortunately we must adjust our expectations accordingly. We aren’t a Championship caliber franchise anymore. And probably won’t be for at least another 10-15 years assuming Jethro is still hanging around the rim well into his 90’s.
Dont Give up.

We need better HC/qb play in the playoffs.

Lots of change coming after this season.

starfan1

Reaction score
Dont Give up.

We need better HC/qb play in the playoffs.

Lots of change coming after this season.
And defense and running game improvement. The only successful change this organization can do would be a sales transaction from Jerry to someone else

jaybird

Reaction score
If Cowboys don’t have a deal signed within 16 days, the beginning of regular season, by most estimations this will be his last season in Dallas.

I know many fans feel he’ll be playing this season for a new contract but most accounts are if he needs to prove more to the Cowboys Mgmt he’d rather move on.

And most critics and analysts would argue he will be highly sought after despite some fans and detractors who cast him off as damaged goods , a less than franchise QB. Just too much demand for QB’s in the NFL.

I’m not advocating for resigning him but simply pointing out what the altercations and impacts could be . We shall know soon what the direction is for the Cowboys moving forward . And that decision could very well derail hopes this season will be more than a dumpster fire and potential disaster with a lame duck HC and QB which presents so much uncertainty. We’ll need an extra bag of popcorn:)
im ok with it. Play this year, and if we go deep in the playoffs(NFC champs) resign him. if not move on, Need to pay Parson and others.’

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
First team I thought of. Seattle might be another one. There are a few team that are good but need a qb.
Neither one is breaking the bank for an old QB who sucks in the playoffs. If Dak were in year 5 then maybe, but he still wouldn't get all time money then either. he has no real accomplishments this far into his career. Why would the Steelers, who are a properly managed franchise, destroy their next five years on a failed QB who doesn't have much time left in this league? Why would Seattle? Why wouldn't both just save the money and draft the next great QB in the first round?

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Neither one is breaking the bank for an old QB who sucks in the playoffs. If Dak were in year 5 then maybe, but he still wouldn't get all time money then either. he has no real accomplishments this far into his career. Why would the Steelers, who are a properly managed franchise, destroy their next five years on a failed QB who doesn't have much time left in this league? Why would Seattle? Why wouldn't both just save the money and draft the next great QB in the first round?
They can't seem to find a franchise QB. They've been trying for years. And they're a lot like us. They always draft too low to get anybody good.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
:hammer:

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Unfortunately we must adjust our expectations accordingly. We aren’t a Championship caliber franchise anymore. And probably won’t be for at least another 10-15 years assuming Jethro is still hanging around the rim well into his 90’s.
Yep , having two unqualified people at the top of our front office seriously knee caps us and limits our ceiling.
I don't expect any post season success and will not be watching as many games this year.
This off season after the " All In " comments was the final straw for me.

Flamma

Reaction score
I'm not saying you are wrong my friend, in fact you make a very good point.

No, you dont pay a player anything they want just because nobody else on the team is better, but you also cant let a players leave if the replacement is so significantly worse that it would have a devastating effect on your overall team.

It really is a pickle the Cowboys find themselves in and why preparations for this very scenario should have been started years ago.
Yeah, but QB replacement is a difficult thing. Do you use a premium pick on a QB when you already have one? Eagles and Packers did it, it seemingly turned out well for them. At least short term. I just see it as a waste. If Dak is gone, which I doubt, replacing him is pot luck. I just don't see how having a 2nd round pick on the team now is of any value. He might suck.

Cmac

Reaction score
I like the idea of proving it by results, and those results must be a SB appearance. You don’t give a 3rd contact to the QB unless he produces when it counts unless your goal isn’t winning the championship, MM hasn’t produced and that’s why GB fired him with rumors of incompetence and laziness. Jerry will not let it play out because to him it’s more important to be relevant in my opinion. All the excuses for the failures the last 3 seasons can be laid at the feet of 2 people and both should have to prove themselves or be given their walking papers. It’s a contract year for both and that’s the way it should be, elite money for poor performances come playoff time should be a red flag and based on recent history both should be gone unless the results are drastically different this season
Given the GM results......seems the expectation is for Miracle Workers.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Pittsburgh already tried that with Kenny Pickett and it failed horribly. TJ Watt is about to hit 30 years old, George Pickens is about to get expensive in a couple years. Their window to really win a championship is now despite the competition in the AFC. I think Dak would be the perfect player for Pittsburgh to go after on a shorter deal and then maybe look at a mid round developmental QB behind him.

Seattle I just dont see it as much. I think they really like Sam Howell, and they have reason to be optimistic on him too.