The clock is ticking on Prescott

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Preaching to the choir. I don't trust Jerry with personnel moves/opinions. I do trust Will McClay some though. Was McClay here during the situation you speak of or was that before he got there? Serious question. I don't know.
McClay was here. When it comes to drafting QBs, Jerry has the strongest say. We got very lucky with Dak. We had two QBs we tried drafting ahead of him and we couldn’t do it. We got lucky!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It's the ideal situation but it's much tougher to move off an Aaron Rodgers as opposed to a Dak Prescott...let's be real.
I’m fine with moving on when we have a replacement we have some confidence or hope in building around.

Much like when Prescott took over for Romo.

stiletto

Reaction score
I’m fine with moving on when we have a replacement we have some confidence or hope in building around.

Much like when Prescott took over for Romo.
Agreed there, thats why we need to draft a guy and turn it over in 2025. One more year of Dak.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Nope nope nope. I'm only like that if the player is like 7-8 seasons in and still does the same stuff and loses the same type games. I give them time. There are others that don't. Do not lump me in with them. I just have my limits is all.
Everyone is frustrated and have doubts if he’ll be enough . Horrible playoff loss.

But not many teams releasing Franchise QB’s who are consistently going to playoffs even if come up short.

Ultimately it’s on our leadership . They’ve treated Dak like an Elite QB. Same thing with Romo. It leaves me with little hope either way.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Agreed there, thats why we need to draft a guy and turn it over in 2025. One more year of Dak.
Well, we won’t have much time to develop. It’s quite a risk.

I really think we should do both . Draft a QB and resign Prescott.

stiletto

Reaction score
Well, we won’t have much time to develop. It’s quite a risk.

I really think we should do both . Draft a QB and resign Prescott.
Like I said, the problem with resigning Prescott is the $$. He's a MONEY PIT in the current situation. It affects literally everything else you might want to do in order to build for the future whether you have a young QB in the pipleline or not.

You should be able to build a better team across the board with the money you'll save from moving on from Dak. It really is a question of, is the juice worth the squeeze for him? I don't think it is anymore.

Retro88

Reaction score
Prescott is our QB both now & in the future. However, their handling of the QB position has been absurb. With the advantages of a cheap QB and haul you can acquire from trading one it should be considered malpractice not to draft one every other year.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Like I said, the problem with resigning Prescott is the $$. He's a MONEY PIT in the current situation. It affects literally everything else you might want to do in order to build for the future whether you have a young QB in the pipleline or not.

You should be able to build a better team across the board with the money you'll save from moving on from Dak. It really is a question of, is the juice worth the squeeze for him? I don't think it is anymore.
Keep in mind on his last contract after giving him a 66 million dollar signing bonus and back loading the rest which we begin shelling out this season his Cap hits first 3 years were only 17,19 and 26 million per year.

stiletto

Reaction score
Keep in mind on his last contract after giving him a 66 million dollar signing bonus and back loading the rest which we begin shelling out this season his Cap hits first 3 years were only 17,19 and 26 million per year.
Yeah. Dak has made a killing already off this franchise. I'm fine with him getting his money elsewhere...Thanks for time served Dak! Good dude.. Next...

Steve007

Reaction score
I’m all for moving on once we have that new hope on the roster.

We should have already drafted and begun developing heir apparent. And that’s what I’d advise now . But I wouldn’t shuck this team without a Franchise QB until we do.

Unfortunately our options are currently limited because of Mgmt prior poor decisions .
It is too late. Dak is 31 and the cowboys don't have a replacement. Either way if they keep Dak or he walks they wont have the heir apparent. They are going to have to go through pain. Dak isn't signing for less than 60 per year. If they pay Dak 60+ they will prolong what they need to do. They will be screwed on the cap in the future. They need to eat the rest of his contract and move on after this year.

Steve007

Reaction score
We don’t know that with absolute certainty. Only opinions by recent history which hasn’t been one and done every season.

I’m ok with moving on and building for the future . But let’s draft and begin developing the heir apparent before we cut off our nose in spite of our face.
This team isn't better this year and they couldn't do it last year. There hasn't been any changes to make me think it will be different. Years of history shows what is likely to happen in the future.

stiletto

Reaction score
It is too late. Dak is 31 and the cowboys don't have a replacement. Either way if they keep Dak or he walks they wont have the heir apparent. They are going to have to go through pain. Dak isn't signing for less than 60 per year. If they pay Dak 60+ they will prolong what they need to do. They will be screwed on the cap in the future. They need to eat the rest of his contract and move on after this year.
Yep. Time to move on. There will be pain but the sooner you rip off the band-aid. The better....

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Right. And that’s the dilemma we have . Unfortunately our ownership hasn’t placed us in a better position to move on from this QB.

And why we should draft and begin developing a heir apparent even if we resign current QB. If he develops quickly and current QB continues coming up short we can trade him for draft capital.

Trading for a 1st round bust isn’t taking the appropriate action to move on. And deciding to totally rebuild until you find our next Franchise QB potentially waste a team built to contend now.

Unfortunately our ownership didn’t prepare for this moment even when they knew our QB would be tough negotiator . And it leaves them in a vulnerable situation. Cowboys potentially could be left without a Franchise QB and or no benefits from a trade. Total poor Mgmt.
Exactly my friend, there was no preparing for this scenario (Dak in last year of deal and no viable replacement on roster).

This reminds me of a philosophy class I took at UT,

"By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail"..............Benjamin Franklin

stiletto

Reaction score
Exactly my friend, there was no preparing for this scenario (Dak in last year of deal and no viable replacement on roster).

This reminds me of a philosophy class I took at UT,

"By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail"..............Benjamin Franklin
Does that justify paying Dak $60+ million and mortgaging the future? What is the balance here? What is the end game?

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
This is all correct. But you can't use that as an excuse to pay a person. That's an excuse to pay anything he wants, not just market value. If that's what the Jones boys are going by, I'm asking 75M. After all, who else on the team is better?
I'm not saying you are wrong my friend, in fact you make a very good point.

No, you dont pay a player anything they want just because nobody else on the team is better, but you also cant let a players leave if the replacement is so significantly worse that it would have a devastating effect on your overall team.

It really is a pickle the Cowboys find themselves in and why preparations for this very scenario should have been started years ago.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Does that justify paying Dak $60+ million and mortgaging the future? What is the balance here? What is the end game?
You make a good point bro, the Cowboys are in a pickle here...............you basically got 4 options for 2025.

A. You pay Dak his $60 million a year he wants.............problem is that you are probably overpaying and it may hinder your ability to surround Dak with enought talent to compete against the best teams like the 49ers.
B. You let Dak walk and sign Lance to be starter............problem is that Lance does not look ready to be a starting QB, may be career backup in NFL, so if you start him you might end up 4-13 and total rebuild territory.
C. You let Dak walk along with Lance and draft QB..........problem is that 2025 draft is a bad draft for QBs, no real "studs" and Deion's boy in Colorado might be the best and there is always the bust possibility.
D. You go the vet journeyman route in free agency............problem is that you are looking at the Kirk Cousins, Ryan Tannehills, Kenny Pickets, maybe Russel Wilson types and they are just stop gap band aids, not contending with them.

kskboys

Reaction score
Preaching to the choir. I don't trust Jerry with personnel moves/opinions. I do trust Will McClay some though. Was McClay here during the situation you speak of or was that before he got there? Serious question. I don't know.
Zimmer is here. Tons of difference.

stiletto

Reaction score
You make a good point bro, the Cowboys are in a pickle here...............you basically got 4 options for 2025.

A. You pay Dak his $60 million a year he wants.............problem is that you are probably overpaying and it may hinder your ability to surround Dak with enought talent to compete against the best teams like the 49ers.
B. You let Dak walk and sign Lance to be starter............problem is that Lance does not look ready to be a starting QB, may be career backup in NFL, so if you start him you might end up 4-13 and total rebuild territory.
C. You let Dak walk along with Lance and draft QB..........problem is that 2025 draft is a bad draft for QBs, no real "studs" and Deion's boy in Colorado might be the best and there is always the bust possibility.
D. You go the vet journeyman route in free agency............problem is that you are looking at the Kirk Cousins, Ryan Tannehills, Kenny Pickets, maybe Russel Wilson types and they are just stop gap band aids, not contending with them.
Great response but I think there could be gray area between C and D. The Cowboys could draft a guy AND sign a bridge like Seattle did with Geno. The positives to doing that are saving a crap ton of $$.... Who the bridge might be is anyone's guess. Not saying it is the right solution or the best.. Just saying it isn't necessarily A, B, C, or D in your thinking.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Great response but I think there could be gray area between C and D. The Cowboys could draft a guy AND sign a bridge like Seattle did with Geno. The positives to doing that are saving a crap ton of $$.... Who the bridge might be is anyone's guess. Not saying it is the right solution or the best.. Just saying it isn't necessarily A, B, C, or D in your thinking.
Yea, that could be a possibility as well. Another problem is that with Dak starting this year, odds are we are going to win too many games to be drafting high (Dak always dog walks the scrub teams and our division rivals, but loses when we play teams like the 49ers), so we are probably drafting in the 20s.

That means we either have to put a draft haul together to move up into the top 10, or draft a guy that is considered "developmental" that can sit and learn while our vet journeymen QB is the starter for a year or two.

Either way, going to be interesting to see how the Cowboys navigate all of this..........and dont forget about Lamb, we still got to get him signed as well.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
It's the ideal situation but it's much tougher to move off an Aaron Rodgers as opposed to a Dak Prescott...let's be real.
I don’t think it was that tough to move on from Aaron Rodgers. He was pushing 40 and he was creating a lot of drama. The Packers fans were ready for him to leave and so was the team. In his last six playoff games he was 2-4.