The clock is ticking on Prescott

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Or find a QB that doesn't pee down his leg in the playoffs or at the first sign of "difficult".
You have more faith than I do with this ownership.

If they hadn’t stumbled onto Romo and Dak we’d of been a bottom tier team this entire era.

Perhaps we would have eventually found our next Elite QB or gone 50 years like the Chiefs.

stiletto

Reaction score
You have more faith than I do with this ownership.

If they hadn’t stumbled onto Romo and Dak we’d of been a bottom tier team this entire era.

Perhaps we would have eventually found our next Elite QB or gone 50 years like the Chiefs.
Yeah, well I loathe Jerry and his nepotism BUT I also don't think he is to blame all the time for some of the ineptness that occurs on the field. Granted, it can be the coaches he chooses but these players are often culpable and do moronic things that they don't do against lesser competition.

I guess my real problem with ownership is that they reward people for mediocrity far too often. I actually like that they are holding out paying some of these clowns after the GB debacle.. I've been on record stating that already though. Good for Jerry I say...

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Well there is a flipside to your coin. It seems teams are having faster success with rookie QB's than they did back in the 80s/90s. Houston has turned it around pretty fast with Stroud. The Packers are doing it with Love. The kid in Washington looks like he's going to be a problem, although that remains to be seen. Caleb Williams is going to be good (i know, it's hard to get the #1 pick but maybe we should try??).

I think in general, QB's coming from college are more prepared to play in the NFL than they used to be. Especially the big school QB's. Everything is a crapshoot but sometimes it's also about the risks you don't take. It seems to me teams are having more success letting rookie QB's take over. I know it will be hard for guys like you to weather it but it needs to happen in Dallas too.
Like you mentioned rookie QBs are more NFL ready these days than they were back in the earlier years but the bust rate is still very high with them. The odds on landing a franchise QB in the top 10 are still no better than 50-50. Teams continue to struggle trying to determine if a college QBs game will translate to the NFL. This is why we see so many mistakes in the draft at QB. Houston tried trading up for Bryce Young and couldn’t do it. They settled for CJ Stroud and struck gold. While Carolina appears to have swung and missed with Bryce Young. As for the Packers they have a formula that’s been working for them.

They struggled at QB for years after Bart Starr retired until Brett Favre came along. They drafted Aaron Rodgers and had him sit for a while. They got extremely lucky with him. They did the same thing with Jordan Love. As for Caleb Williams, he’s the third first round pick the Bears have used on a QB since 2017 and the second top five pick. Go count up all the busts the Bears have had at QB over the years. I would have to go deep into their history, but I don’t believe they’ve ever had a great QB. They had one of the greatest teams of all time in 1985 that was led by an average QB because they had such a great defense.

The Cowboys will be taking one of the biggest risks in franchise history if they can’t come to terms with Dak before he becomes a free agent. You can mark my words, it’s going to take a while and possibly a number of years to come up with a “better” QB than Dak unless we get real lucky. If there was any part of me that thought he was the reason we can’t get over the hump in postseason, I would be done with him. I don’t see any QB having success in postseason with the problems we continue to see every year, especially defensively. You can’t just keep putting it entirely on the QB.

stiletto

Reaction score
Like you mentioned rookie QBs are more NFL ready these days than they were back in the earlier years but the bust rate is still very high with them. The odds on landing a franchise QB in the top 10 are still no better than 50-50. Teams continue to struggle trying to determine if a college QBs game will translate to the NFL. This is why we see so many mistakes in the draft at QB. Houston tried trading up for Bryce Young and couldn’t do it. They settled for CJ Stroud and struck gold. While Carolina appears to have swung and missed with Bryce Young. As for the Packers they have a formula that’s been working for them.

They struggled at QB for years after Bart Starr retired until Brett Favre came along. They drafted Aaron Rodgers and had him sit for a while. They got extremely lucky with him. They did the same thing with Jordan Love. As for Caleb Williams, he’s the third first round pick the Bears have used on a QB since 2017 and the second top five pick. Go count up all the busts the Bears have had at QB over the years. I would have to go deep into their history, but I don’t believe they’ve ever had a great QB. They had one of the greatest teams of all time in 1985 that was led by an average QB because they had such a great defense.

The Cowboys will be taking one of the biggest risks in franchise history if they can’t come to terms with Dak before he becomes a free agent. You can mark my words, it’s going to take a while and possibly a number of years to come up with a “better” QB than Dak. If there was any part of me that thought he was the reason we can’t get over the hump in postseason, I would be done with him in a heartbeat. I don’t see any QB having success in postseason with the problems we continue to see every year, especially defensively. You can’t just keep putting it entirely on the QB.
I get it but I don't think you can just "broad" paint brush stroke and say we "won't" find a guy as good as Dak. It can happen FAST. Dak was a 4th round draft pick. They found him didn't they?

Let's face it...he just doesn't play well in big games. He is what he is. We shouldn't blame any future QB for Dak's problems. I agree on the defense. It has caved in several games but in those games, Dak isn't exactly a warrior. He just tends to throw gas on the fire instead of being a calming force or lead things by a different example. I don't blame him fully but he isn't a solution or force multiplier in those situations. It's very telling that he goes into a shell in those type games and doesn't raise anyone up. You should be done with him just because of that IMO...You and I will never agree here.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I get it but I don't think you can just "broad" paint brush stroke and say we "won't" find a guy as good as Dak. It can happen FAST. Dak was a 4th round draft pick. They found him didn't they?

Let's face it...he just doesn't play well in big games. He is what he is. We shouldn't blame any future QB for Dak's problems. I agree on the defense. It has caved in several games but in those games, Dak isn't exactly a warrior. He just tends to throw gas on the fire instead of being a calming force or lead things by a different example. I don't blame him fully but he isn't a solution or force multiplier in those situations. It's very telling that he goes into a shell in those type games and doesn't raise anyone up. You should be done with him just because of that IMO...You and I will never agree here.
I’m not saying we “won’t” find a QB as good as Dak but finding one better is going to be extremely difficult. You and the rest of the fan base that are down on him want “better” than him. You want a QB that can rise to the occasion in postseason, regardless if the team and defense is playing like crap and be able to overcome it. Good luck coming up with a QB like that.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yeah, well I loathe Jerry and his nepotism BUT I also don't think he is to blame all the time for some of the ineptness that occurs on the field. Granted, it can be the coaches he chooses but these players are often culpable and do moronic things that they don't do against lesser competition.

I guess my real problem with ownership is that they reward people for mediocrity far too often. I actually like that they are holding out paying some of these clowns after the GB debacle.. I've been on record stating that already though. Good for Jerry I say...
That’s a big part of the problem is their player evaluation . And toxic atmosphere.

And only reason he’s holding out this far is posturing with public perception . He’s eventually going to disappoint us.

stiletto

Reaction score
I’m not saying we “won’t” find a QB as good as Dak but finding one better is going to be extremely difficult. You and the rest of the fan base that are down on him want “better” than him. You want a QB that can rise to the occasion in postseason, regardless if the team and defense is playing like crap and be able to overcome it. Good luck coming up with a QB like that.
I'm sure there were Packers fans saying that after Rodgers left.. I think most of them are feeling pretty relieved after drubbing the Cowboys and their MVP runner-up QB in the playoffs....

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
We found Dak in the fourth round and you think landing a franchise QB is going to happen that quick every time? We got extremely lucky with him. The Cowboys tried trading back into the first round for Paxton Lynch, who didn’t last three seasons in the NFL. They also tried trading up for Connor Cook who also flamed out in the NFL after only a few seasons. It amazes me how many fans seem to think just because we got lucky with Dak that all we have to do is just draft another QB and BINGO! :rolleyes:

stiletto

Reaction score
That’s a big part of the problem is their player evaluation . And toxic atmosphere.

And only reason he’s holding out this far is posturing with public perception .
You mean like with Guyton? I think you are shaded a little bit. Things have been pretty good with the draft and player eval since McClay got here. We'd be in far worse shape if it was all Jerry. No doubt he needs to be kept on a chain but things would be a lot worse without McClay and the current personnel department. You have to admit that much.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I'm sure there were Packers fans saying that after Rodgers left.. I think most of them are feeling pretty relieved after drubbing the Cowboys and their MVP runner-up QB in the playoffs....
Yep but they had several years to develop their 1st round pick which provided them more options .

I’d argue the Packers are the model this era. They did similar action with Favre inserting Rodgers.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I think the majority of Packers fans were ready to move on from Aaron Rodgers. He was struggling in the playoffs. Jordan Love showed some potential which is why the Packers were comfortable moving on from Rodgers and they didn’t bring in another QB to compete with Love. He played some snaps in several games and looked pretty good. However, the jury is still out on him. The Packers moved on from Brett Favre because they felt comfortable with what they saw from Aaron Rodgers.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You mean like with Guyton? I think you are shaded a little bit. Things have been pretty good with the draft and player eval since McClay got here. We'd be in far worse shape if it was all Jerry. No doubt he needs to be kept on a chain but things would be a lot worse without McClay and the current personnel department. You have to admit that much.
Yes they would be worse without McClay assuming we wouldn’t have someone else in scouting dept for us.

But while we have hit on some we also have had some major misses, especially on defense with several top pick bust which probably are core reason this defense wasn’t greater this era arguably costing us more success.

stiletto

Reaction score
We found Dak in the fourth round and you think landing a franchise QB is going to happen that quick every time? We got extremely lucky with him. The Cowboys tried trading back into the first round for Paxton Lynch, who didn’t last three seasons in the NFL. They also tried trading up for Connor Cook who also flamed out in the NFL after only a few seasons. It amazes me how many fans seem to think just because we got lucky with Dak that all we have to do is just draft another QB and BINGO! :rolleyes:
Preaching to the choir. I don't trust Jerry with personnel moves/opinions. I do trust Will McClay some though. Was McClay here during the situation you speak of or was that before he got there? Serious question. I don't know.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think the majority of Packers fans were ready to move on from Aaron Rodgers. He was struggling in the playoffs. Jordan Love showed some potential which is why the Packers were comfortable moving on from Rodgers and they didn’t bring in another QB to compete with Love. He played some snaps in several games and looked pretty good. However, the jury is still out on him. The Packers moved on from Brett Favre because they felt comfortable with what they saw from Aaron Rodgers.
Yea,I’m surprised more teams don’t follow this model.

stiletto

Reaction score
Yes they would be worse without McClay assuming we wouldn’t have someone else in scouting dept for us.

But while we have hit on some we also have had some major misses, especially on defense with several top pick bust which probably are core reason this defense wasn’t greater this era arguably costing us more success.
Like Parsons/Diggs/Bland/Bell? You are being negative. No teams personnel department is perfect. McClay's has probably been top 5. Give credit where it is due.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Dak isn’t exactly a warrior.
I couldn’t disagree with you more on that. He keeps battling no matter what. He never gave up against the Packers. It’s obvious you don’t like him. You’re one of those fans that isn’t going to be happy with any QB. If things aren’t going well, you’re going to point the finger directly at them.

stiletto

Reaction score
It's the ideal situation but it's much tougher to move off an Aaron Rodgers as opposed to a Dak Prescott...let's be real.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Preaching to the choir. I don't trust Jerry with personnel moves/opinions. I do trust Will McClay some thought. Was McClay here during the situation you speak of or was that before he got there? Serious question. I don't know.
Will became a Scout for us in 2002.

stiletto

Reaction score
I couldn’t disagree with you more on that. He keeps battling no matter what. He never gave up against the Packers. It’s obvious you don’t like him. You’re one of those fans that isn’t going to be happy with any QB. If things aren’t going well, you’re going to point the finger directly at them.
Nope nope nope. I'm only like that if the player is like 7-8 seasons in and still does the same stuff and loses the same type games. I give them time. There are others that don't. Do not lump me in with them. I just have my limits is all.