The coaches aren't to blame

khiladi

Reaction score
All of this stuff about Garrett being this type of genius or that, a historian of the game, is based on unproven perception and hype... He wasn't a disciple of Norv Turner either, only playing one year under him. It comes down to absurd things like he went to Princeton... There is no real history to substantiate the claim...

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Agreed.

There are worse QB's with worse talent around them who have won games this year.

Blake Bortles won 2 games.
Josh McCown won 2 games.
Landry Jones won a game.
Brian Hoyer has won games.

A superbowl contender with Cassel and Weeden are now 0-5.

This is more than just Cassel or Weeden.

Don't forget 40 year old Matt Hasselbeck. ...bad players...offensive scheme...bad or no adjustments. ..all point to a mismanaged team..which starts with the head coach.

Givincer

Reaction score
Not in his case.

What I say about Cassell is proven.

By saying he's average, you're saying there are 15-16 quarterbacks better than him and 15-16 quarterbacks worse than him.

That would mean the Bills traded a top 16 quarterback for a trade up of 2017 7th for a 2017 5th. I don't think so. That's saying a player is worthless when you take a trade like that.

black label

Reaction score
All of this stuff about Garrett being this type of genius or that, a historian of the game, is based on unproven perception and hype... He wasn't a disciple of Norv Turner either, only playing one year under him. It comes down to absurd things like he went to Princeton... There is no real history to substantiate the claim...

Hes a genius at calling vanilla playbooks

Myboys

Reaction score
Because the run was working? Because we are attempting, to you know, get our QB into manageable second and thirds?

Throwing on first down doesn't change Cassel's freakin' accuracy. He. Was. Off! Cassel was rattled, indecisive, and inaccurate all game.

I agree, Mattjames. I think Cassel was seeing flashes of last weeks picks everywhere he looked. He did a good job of running the ball but seemed afraid to throw it.

Aven8

Reaction score

But but, he's the next Landry! I heard it right here. What a joke. This team sucks! 0-5! What a joke!!!!!!!!!!!

khiladi

Reaction score
How many times does this offense even attempt to attack up the seams? You can motion Dez in the slot and have him run a drag route. That route was huge for this team two years ago when they went toe to toe with Denver in particular.. Nobody could stop it..

You can throw some flare routes up the middle...

This offense limits itself to the sidelines, otherwise have Witten bail the play out, with his syncing with Romo...

With Romo out, you don't see that now..

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
By saying he's average, you're saying there are 15-16 quarterbacks better than him and 15-16 quarterbacks worse than him.

That would mean the Bills traded a top 16 quarterback for a trade up of 2017 7th for a 2017 5th. I don't think so. That's saying a player is worthless when you take a trade like that.

In this league.. Not much seperate the 16th best QB and the guy in 32nd.

khiladi

Reaction score
Cassell threw some INTs last week, but he also made plays on horrible play design as well.. His TD to Street on the sideline was one and another sideline route I believe on the same drive..

We aren't a rhythm offense, so timing with QBs is going to be an issue always..

cowboyuptx

Reaction score
Bull****.Garrett lost us this game.We had momentum early and we could have scored a TD if we have gone for it,why are we playing so conservative when we lost 4 in a row? are we going to lose another game ? how is it different now?

I agree that we should have gone for it on 4th and 1 early, I stated as much at the time in the game thread... But other than that, I cant find a lot of fault in Garrett's coaching today... In the end, we were in a position to win the game, but Cassel couldn't get it done...

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
So we are now into week 5 of the post Romo Injury Era, and I have yet to see any kind of offensive adjustment from this team. We are seeing the exact same play calling 5 weeks in a row with a few WR reverse plays and a RB pass play thrown in the last two weeks. Our WR's cant get open and this coaching staff does not have a clue how to fix it.

Want to start blaming coaching? How about this team getting burned by purposely kicking short in the Giants game and then turning around and doing it again this week? This team is struggling on kick coverage so you kick short?

Has this coaching staff thrown out all slant plays? Never ever see one being called. Play action pass? Forget about it.

Check downs, bubble screens, and out routes.........that's pretty much the playbook.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
serious question here, If Romo has to sit out the rest of the year, and retires, do you think Garrett will ever win a game again as a head coach?

He'll win a game just not near enough games to keep his job. The Cowboys have been competitive in every loss this season except for one so they're capable of winning a game without Romo they proved that in 2010 under Garrett with 5 wins with Kitna and McGee at QB.

Last edited:

khiladi

Reaction score
Garrett has one of the great SLOT WRs ever in TO, but very rarely used him in such a manner. He never has him in motion either.

Your now witnessing the same thing with Dez.

When Callahan took over the offense for a little, you saw more motion, particularly with Dez. That ended quickly.