The Cost of Meaningless Close Wins

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I don't care about his agenda. He's a nobody to me on that front and I couldn't care less about it.
I was wondering why he said the fans are the problem and he won't answer.
He just made an assumption about myself and then bowed out as quick as he could.

He "showed his hand".
but that's what they do.....get it?

Scotman

Reaction score
Sure, I hate missing out on the high pick, but I want my team to win. I actually root for them to win. I enjoy seeing our guys win games. Some of my best memories from childhood are Cowboys' games. So, I don't think the wins are meaningless at all.

They aren't meaningless to the players. Not to the coaches. Not to lots of the fanbase. The games aren't meaningless to me at all. You stating the games are meaningless doesn't make them meaningless.

Flamma

Reaction score
blow it up (trades, cuts, etc.) vs. losing on purpose are two different things. I don't think any coach, makes a game plan to lose.

I agree, coaches do not. But blowing it up is still a plan to lose for a high draft pick. GMs have to do it because they know players and coaches will not. Same plan, different approach.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I never did credit him for the wins or losses....you assume that. I just asked the poster if all wins/losses are on the QB and only the QB...secondly my post was full of sarcasm, perhaps you missed that.

Andy was resposible for one score, as the ball was handed to him at the 18 and we rushed the ball in from 12 for another TD. Giants were dominated that whole series. I don't give any credit to Andy for that score. Andy did proceed to throw an interception and then lose the lead. you have to admit that was an incredible catch by Gallup as Andy underthrew that ball.

Dak would not have lost the lead as the cowboys offense had figured out the Giants defense and was in full control. but we will never know.

and I didn't blame losses on Andy. I have always said Andy sucks and is limited offensively as a QB. along with a bad defense that spelled disaster. I have argued our only chance for wins came through high offensive outputs and trying to score a bunch.

perhaps, I give him just a smidgen of credit. just a smidgen though....Happy now?
Nope. You are still generally giving Dak wins and (maybe) losses...but are breaking down into specifics for Andy.

At the end of the day...we ended up with just as much with Andy as we do with Dak. In a truly eft up year in so many ways. I think you are letting your Andy hate effects your assessment. You are not assessing each player in a consistent way.

So be it.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You can blame the Dak Haters and remnants of the Tony Romo front office hype machine for pushing guys like Dalton when we should have started DiNucci or Gilbert....

The Atlanta win was solid because our starting QB wasn't injured....every win by Dalton was a Dak Hate crap that cost us draft position.

LOL...this is about the most ludicrus asine take I've ever seen here.

Not sure if it's a sign of these times...people losing their minds...or you've always been like this.

32BellyOption

Reaction score
It’s simple....ya play toe on every game. Especially when not even half the season isn’t even over. Lol!

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Play the rookie and root for him to play well and win. The coaches put the players on the field, if they put subpar talent out their, that's on them, I can't control that. I still want them to win. Shortsighted, probably...just my DNA.

So you are sacrificing winning now for the good of the future. :thumbup:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
the games were there for us to lose, but as you said, they had their 3rd string QBs. we barely won the SF game and the special team TD helped a lot to put the score where it ended up.

regardless, 4 out of 5 first round QBs fail in the NFL. this draft is no different. we probably have to wait 3 years to see it. so wasting a pick on a QB, when your needs, desparate needs are on the defense would not have helped this team.

Trading with a team desperately trying to trade up for a QB would have definitely helped the team.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Any fan that wishes their team loses should be banned from ever watching another game of that team, in any sport.. PERIOD. it's disgusting.
What else is disgusting is a front office that never seems to have any leverage, or better yet, they never take advantage of any leverage they might have.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
So the season was not done until Daks injury in the Giants game. So start tanking in week 2.?
bold move, but probably.. lol
Last year, in a pandemic season, its the one time I would have tanked, a time everyone wants to forget anyway.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Those games hold 0 meaning headed into this season.. The wins and the losses mean squat.

BS.

They mean plenty. You play to lose and you are gonna turn off when stuff is going bad in the future.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Nope. You are still generally giving Dak wins and (maybe) losses...but are breaking down into specifics for Andy.

At the end of the day...we ended up with just as much with Andy as we do with Dak. In a truly eft up year in so many ways. I think you are letting your Andy hate effects your assessment. You are not assessing each player in a consistent way.

So be it.
well, you can read into it what you like. you have made up your mind and no amount of logic is going to change it.... what I have said in posts since you know when..wins and losses are on offense/defense/coaches and all players, although some carry more weight than others....and CONTEXT matters...when Dak detractors point to Dalton's record and compare, I bring into the context, which shed light on the actual facts not just the surface view....if you Think Dalton produced as much as Dak, then its your opinion. its ok to be wrong.

btw, I don't hate andy. I see him for what he is. a has been QB who can't lead a team to promise land. he is a stop gap or a bridge to the next guy and at this point of his career he is nothing but a back up....if he has to play extended period of the season, then the season is lost. clearly evidenced by what we saw.

so why are you defending Dalton? why are you tying your ship to his anchor?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
BS.

They mean plenty. You play to lose and you are gonna turn off when stuff is going bad in the future.

Maybe in a Disney movie those games from the previous season rally the troops together and they prove to themselves that they were good enough all along and carry it over to the next season.

But here in the real world those games mean squat.. Learn to deal with it.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When teams starts to lose purposefully, the league is in trouble.....and they have enough problems as it is.

Big_D

Reaction score
Maybe in a Disney movie those games from the previous season rally the troops together and they prove to themselves that they were good enough all along and carry it over to the next season.

But here in the real world those games mean squat.. Learn to deal with it.

This team is still building on those crap wins from 2010.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
When teams starts to lose purposefully, the league is in trouble.....and they have enough problems as it is.

Other leagues already do it and I’m convinced that several NFL teams don’t put their best foot forward for better picks and they’ve been doing it for years.

You can still get a group of guys to play hard and play to win but be in a position to lose.

Like... We screwed up playing Andy Dalton.. I would’ve had the Dennucci out there or Gilbert since it looks like he’s your future backup.