The Cost of Meaningless Close Wins

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
I don’t believe there’s a single player in the nfl who is okay with losing a game toward the end of the season. It’s too hard to get up and prepped for them to then throw it. Now there are some who expect to lose, but tell them to lose or even persuade playcalling to be disadvantageous, and the dissent will be far more problematic than whatever a few draft slots can accomplish.

Fans like to conspire that this team or that team are trying to lose a game, but I genuinely believe tanking will never work in the nfl. The moment a player base, a fan base, or even sponsors get wind that it isn’t a proper match... that’s when the nfl goes away. And I most certainly don’t want to be the fan of the team who starts it.

jnday

Reaction score
I don’t believe there’s a single player in the nfl who is okay with losing a game toward the end of the season. It’s too hard to get up and prepped for them to then throw it. Now there are some who expect to lose, but tell them to lose or even persuade playcalling to be disadvantageous, and the dissent will be far more problematic than whatever a few draft slots can accomplish.

Fans like to conspire that this team or that team are trying to lose a game, but I genuinely believe tanking will never work in the nfl. The moment a player base, a fan base, or even sponsors get wind that it isn’t a proper match... that’s when the nfl goes away. And I most certainly don’t want to be the fan of the team who starts it.
There are plenty of players that are looking for a paycheck and nothing more. There was plenty of ways where losing would have benefited the team. MM could have played several of the young players that didn’t get a chance to play all season. They could have gave the young players much needed experience and it would have helped the team with player evaluations. MM and the front office would have had a much better ideal of the young talent on the roster and those evaluations could have changed draft needs in certain situations. The team didn’t have to be obvious about losing. Playing these young players would have lessened the chance of winning last season, but the player evaluations could lead to a much better approach for winning in the upcoming season. They didn’t have to make obvious efforts to lose, but they could have benefited greatly from losing games. Higher draft picks and giving the young players experience would have certainly benefited the team more than a couple of meaningless wins.

Qcard

Reaction score
LOL...this is about the most ludicrus asine take I've ever seen here.

Not sure if it's a sign of these times...people losing their minds...or you've always been like this.
Yes, it's a sign of times. It appears you will relearn quickly

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
well, you can read into it what you like. you have made up your mind and no amount of logic is going to change it.... what I have said in posts since you know when..wins and losses are on offense/defense/coaches and all players, although some carry more weight than others....and CONTEXT matters...when Dak detractors point to Dalton's record and compare, I bring into the context, which shed light on the actual facts not just the surface view....if you Think Dalton produced as much as Dak, then its your opinion. its ok to be wrong.

btw, I don't hate andy. I see him for what he is. a has been QB who can't lead a team to promise land. he is a stop gap or a bridge to the next guy and at this point of his career he is nothing but a back up....if he has to play extended period of the season, then the season is lost. clearly evidenced by what we saw.

so why are you defending Dalton? why are you tying your ship to his anchor?
Well... you can read into what you like and no amount of logic is going to change it.

I'd like to think that you recognize that what you preach and DEMAAD of others,,,is what you will not do yourself.

You are entitled to your WRONG opinion.

But ....no..you won't. You think YOUR opinion is the the sht. Your OPINION is the absolute truth. Other people are SO stupid and idiots.

We as a TEAM have gotten just as much from Andy as we have from Dak. You are an absolute FOOL...thinking Dak gets us more...because we HAVEN'T gotten anything more. It's a FACT.

You can read into what you like because you are a fool believing your own *********.

Read into what makes you feel better about yourself...but we have nothing with Dak. Nothing. Just like all our other QBs. NOTHING,. Come at me now.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
well, you can read into it what you like. you have made up your mind and no amount of logic is going to change it.... what I have said in posts since you know when..wins and losses are on offense/defense/coaches and all players, although some carry more weight than others....and CONTEXT matters...when Dak detractors point to Dalton's record and compare, I bring into the context, which shed light on the actual facts not just the surface view....if you Think Dalton produced as much as Dak, then its your opinion. its ok to be wrong.

btw, I don't hate andy. I see him for what he is. a has been QB who can't lead a team to promise land. he is a stop gap or a bridge to the next guy and at this point of his career he is nothing but a back up....if he has to play extended period of the season, then the season is lost. clearly evidenced by what we saw.

so why are you defending Dalton? why are you tying your ship to his anchor?

Why are YOU defending dak? What has he won us?

That is so much better than what Andy won?

Fact...nothing. So just shut your pie hole.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Well... you can read into what you like and no amount of logic is going to change it.

I'd like to think that you recognize that what you preach and DEMAAD of others,,,is what you will not do yourself.

You are entitled to your WRONG opinion.

But ....no..you won't. You think YOUR opinion is the the sht. Your OPINION is the absolute truth. Other people are SO stupid and idiots.

We as a TEAM have gotten just as much from Andy as we have from Dak. You are an absolute FOOL...thinking Dak gets us more...because we HAVEN'T gotten anything more. It's a FACT.

You can read into what you like because you are a fool believing your own *********.

Read into what makes you feel better about yourself...but we have nothing with Dak. Nothing. Just like all our other QBs. NOTHING,. Come at me now.
LOL. you are a good copy cat. there was a hidden lesson there, but not sure if you fully grasp it. I deliver what I demand of others. logic, not emotions.

btw, I am hardly ever wrong, because I am objective and open minded and don't base any argument on emotions. that's when you lose an argument and go wrong (as you have been).

now, again, you weren't any part of this debate until late, when you jumped in with semi-insults, deflecting from argument at had. Perhaps I had caused you distress in the past and you had been lurching in the bushes (per se) waiting for an opportunity to attack....not sure why. if I ever pushed you in a way, Its not intentional, but only educational.

if you Think Dalton produced as much and as good as Dak, then I have to ask you to go back and study up on football. that statement above showed your ignorance....and you so willingly displayed it for all to see.

now, again, why are you so emotional. there is pure hatred in your post. pure anger. you have to learn to deal with the source of your anger and control your emotions. that way you may end up right sometimes. right now you are so far off, I need to figure out how to get you back on track.....perhaps you present a challenge I seek. I enjoy teaching.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Why are YOU defending dak? What has he won us?

That is so much better than what Andy won?

Fact...nothing. So just shut your pie hole.
two responses to the same post...interesting. tells me you responded first in anger and emotion. then you festered that anger inside and had to say something else. why are you so angry? why so much hate?

btw, I never defended Dak oneway or the other. I presented facts and only facts that are undisputable.

you have to learn to control your emotions, else it will lead you down the wrong path as it has....

TwentyOne

Reaction score
The Cowboys should have lost their games against Atlanta (week 2), the Giants (week 5), and the Vikings (week 11). The Cowboys could of had the 3rd overall pick. They could have received the same haul the Dolphins did for the 3rd pick. In this scenario Surtain or Horn would likely be available at 12. Plus they would have 2 extra 1st round picks + an extra 3rd round pick in the future. They could have also selected a QB at 3 and trade Dak. A ridiculous botched onside kick + signing Andy Dalton cost this franchise for years to come.

One of the most stupid things we did in the last 10 years.

False pride that forfeits your future.

But then its what our FO does. Instead of being accountable of the wrong decissions they did they try to win meaningless games. They are so imcompetent.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
two responses to the same post...interesting. tells me you responded first in anger and emotion. then you festered that anger inside and had to say something else. why are you so angry? why so much hate?

btw, I never defended Dak oneway or the other. I presented facts and only facts that are undisputable.

you have to learn to control your emotions, else it will lead you down the wrong path as it has....
You make some good points. When I went back to review my comments, I discovered much the same as you did. So good job.

The sad thing is.,.I don't think you apply the same logic to yourself as you do to others. You have an innate and accurate ability to find fault in others....but not yourself.

That is an easy mistake to make. So I don't blame you.

Take care and have a good evening.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
You make some good points. When I went back to review my comments, I discovered much the same as you did. So good job.

The sad thing is.,.I don't think you apply the same logic to yourself as you do to others. You have an innate and accurate ability to find fault in others....but not yourself.

That is an easy mistake to make. So I don't blame you.

Take care and have a good evening.
I hate to disappoint you (in a good way), I have been wrong in the past. have made mistakes and had admitted to my mistakes and having been wrong. there is nothing wrong with that (no pun intended)

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I hate to disappoint you (in a good way), I have been wrong in the past. have made mistakes and had admitted to my mistakes and having been wrong. there is nothing wrong with that (no pun intended)
I think it's wrong to run a psychotherapy assessment session on an internet message board.

A bit of colorful language doesn't mean there is some intense anger being channeled or festering. People say the dumbest things, and don;t know how dumb they look. Pointing that out isn't necessarily "anger".

My point was that you find it so easy to break down others people ..arguments...(their comments...not anger)...but can;t see the faults in your own.

Watching you breeze by Dak and chisel into Andy...is a good example.

fivetwos

Reaction score
They were actually trying to win a division and get a home playoff game even in the final game.

They weren't supposed to try?

People underestimate what that would have done to the locker room.

These players are not part of a video game.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
They were actually trying to win a division and get a home playoff game even in the final game.

Nope, not when the NFCE title is so meaningless. The winner was destined to be embarrassed in their own stadium which is exactly what happened to the WFT. ;)

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Coaches coach to win and players play to win. I expect nothing less. I don 't give a damn about draft order there is nothing absolute with a draft pick. You play the game to win period.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Nope, not when the NFCE title is so meaningless. The winner was destined to be embarrassed in their own stadium which is exactly what happened to the WFT. ;)
A home playoff game is worth tens of millions in revenue.

I wouldn't expect any FO to not try for that.

Philly didn't want to fire Pedersen, and that was fully an organizational decision to play the crap QB, yet the fan fallout was so bad that someone had to fall on the sword.

All so we can be in a better spot to take a top 10 tight end.

I'll pass.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Coaches coach to win and players play to win. I expect nothing less. I don 't give a damn about draft order there is nothing absolute with a draft pick. You play the game to win period.
:laugh::lmao::lmao2: You don't give a damn about draft order. :omg:

Philly didn't want to fire Pedersen, and that was fully an organizational decision to play the crap QB, yet the fan fallout was so bad that someone had to fall on the sword.

I'll pass.

What the hell? No one here cares about the iggles.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Whete were they going anyway? Even if they managed to’win’ the worst division in football and gain an undeserved playoff appearance, what would happen when they got there?

We all know the answer.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I'll pass.

That Pederson assessment is not accurate.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
:laugh::lmao::lmao2: You don't give a damn about draft order. :omg:

What the hell? No one here cares about the iggles.

Not really, You don't play the game based on draft order. This notion that unless you can win the SB you may as well just tank the season is a load of crap. You play the game and get paid you then you should be expected to go out and play hard and fight to win. The rest of this garbage if fan talk not worth a damn thing.