The Cost of Meaningless Close Wins

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
btw, according to NFL rules. Dak is credited with the Giants win, given he handed the game to Dalton with a lead and btw, on the 19th yard line well on the way to drive in for another TD....Dalton proceeded to lose the lead and only because of an incredible acrobatic catch by Gallup was he saved. regardless Dak was 2-3. I don't make the rules. NFL does. its different than baseball.

On one hand you are giving Dak full credit for the win...rightly so...."according to the rules".

On the other hand you are trashing Andy for losing the lead...then making exceptional adverbs rationalizing Andy's comeback to Gallup with ZERO credit to Andy.

You are assuming Dak wouldn't have lost any lead....as if he never does. But criticizing Andy for it.
Only a once-in-a-lifetime catch "saved" Andy, as if Dak or any other QB never gets such considerations.

When Dak loses...it;s a team game. When Andy loses it's Andy.

Can't give Andy one smidgen of credit for pulling out the win, eh? Hmm.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
That sounds like the typical responds from someone that is a bigger fan of Dak then the actual team he plays for.

Thanks for showing your hand.
Thanks for making an assumption.
Shows your hand.

And, for the record, I never root for a specific player, Dak included, but you hold on tight to those assumptions!

And you did not answer the question.

Loso86

Reaction score
The Cowboys should have lost their games against Atlanta (week 2), the Giants (week 5), and the Vikings (week 11). The Cowboys could of had the 3rd overall pick. They could have received the same haul the Dolphins did for the 3rd pick. In this scenario Surtain or Horn would likely be available at 12. Plus they would have 2 extra 1st round picks + an extra 3rd round pick in the future. They could have also selected a QB at 3 and trade Dak. A ridiculous botched onside kick + signing Andy Dalton cost this franchise for years to come.
I've never seen so many fans that hoped and wished for their team to lose smdh

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If a draft pick was a sure thing, then yeah. But, since they aren't.....just play to win.
Precisely.

Even then....not sure I'd be happy about it. You either have good ethics or not. That would still compromise it...in my opinion.
Now to genuinely get other/younger players playing/evaluation time....with FULL intent to win...would be okay in my book. With your work ethic in mind of course.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Don't forget that Vikings win when we were 2-7, that's part of the difference between where we are now at pick #10 and potentially being in position for the windfall deal that Miami was able to get for #3 overall.

Or actually being in position to draft Jerry's man-crush in Pitts without jumping through hoops. Maybe that's a bit of karma for Jerry? Pushing to win games that don't count ultimately costs him his pet cat?

So...you are saying Jerry willed the team into victories?

Oh he's supposed to run down there and tell 'em to lose.....I see.

"pet cat" ....because of a silly PR stunt?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So...you are saying Jerry willed the team into victories?

Oh he's supposed to run down there and tell 'em to lose.....I see.

He owns the team. And I think he can talk to people on plenty of occasions aside from ‘running down there’.

"pet cat" ....because of a silly PR stunt?

Do more homework. There’s plenty of evidence before and after that video.

75boyz

Reaction score
oh come on...by now you know all losses are on Dak. wins are team effort because of all the other players on the team. coach bares no responsibility, except when its supporting an argument for a player they like. if you don't know the dak detractor's routine by now, then you haven't been paying any attention. so let me repeat. the team/coaches/FO/Defense bare zero responsibility (or little) in any loss. its all Dak or mostly Dak. Wins are because the rest of the team helped him, because he is unable to win games. got it?

But as to your last sentence, I see your accountability share of the pie scenario in the exact opposite light. Goal posts shifted when losses occur to good teams in 2019 but sterling stats against poor teams and QBs.

Remember our convo?

And your take on "about to give up on Dak" in 2018 and then 2019 happened?

And when I comment on poor performance against .500 and above teams you respect my opinion but still seem contradictory.

But anyway, you're still my guy.

And we DO agree on the defense and it's core reasons for sucking for so long.

So at least there's that...lol

You still rock Houston :)

Last edited:

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He owns the team. And I think he can talk to people on plenty of occasions aside from ‘running down there’.

Do more homework. There’s plenty of evidence before and after that video.

LOL.....don't know some hyperbole when you see it. Why so serious?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
btw, according to NFL rules. Dak is credited with the Giants win, given he handed the game to Dalton with a lead and btw, on the 19th yard line well on the way to drive in for another TD....Dalton proceeded to lose the lead and only because of an incredible acrobatic catch by Gallup was he saved. regardless Dak was 2-3. I don't make the rules. NFL does. its different than baseball.
I agree with how the NFL does that.

Not only were the Cowboys ahead when Dak got hurt, they were on the 18 yard line and knocking on the door of scoring again. 31 of the Cowboys 37 points were from drives that occurred entirely with Dak at QB, or in the case of the drive where Dak got injured, with Dak at QB up to the Giants 18 yard line. The other 6 points were with Dalton at QB.

Nevertheless, I've seen some say that was Dalton's win, and even some that said Dalton bailed Dak out, which makes no sense.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cowboys should have lost their games against Atlanta (week 2), the Giants (week 5), and the Vikings (week 11). The Cowboys could of had the 3rd overall pick. They could have received the same haul the Dolphins did for the 3rd pick. In this scenario Surtain or Horn would likely be available at 12. Plus they would have 2 extra 1st round picks + an extra 3rd round pick in the future. They could have also selected a QB at 3 and trade Dak. A ridiculous botched onside kick + signing Andy Dalton cost this franchise for years to come.

Thats BS. Going 3-1 in December is what killed the draft pick. But we were heck bent on winning the division even at 7-9.

The plan was never to trade Dak. Jerry anointed Dak years ago. He loves Dak which made Dak that much harder to sign. Had we got the #3 pick, Jerry would have selected Pitts anyway. It was never going to be a QB.

Qcard

Reaction score
You can blame the Dak Haters and remnants of the Tony Romo front office hype machine for pushing guys like Dalton when we should have started DiNucci or Gilbert....

The Atlanta win was solid because our starting QB wasn't injured....every win by Dalton was a Dak Hate crap that cost us draft position.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
On one hand you are giving Dak full credit for the win...rightly so...."according to the rules".

On the other hand you are trashing Andy for losing the lead...then making exceptional adverbs rationalizing Andy's comeback to Gallup with ZERO credit to Andy.

You are assuming Dak wouldn't have lost any lead....as if he never does. But criticizing Andy for it.
Only a once-in-a-lifetime catch "saved" Andy, as if Dak or any other QB never gets such considerations.

When Dak loses...it;s a team game. When Andy loses it's Andy.

Can't give Andy one smidgen of credit for pulling out the win, eh? Hmm.
I never did credit him for the wins or losses....you assume that. I just asked the poster if all wins/losses are on the QB and only the QB...secondly my post was full of sarcasm, perhaps you missed that.

Andy was resposible for one score, as the ball was handed to him at the 18 and we rushed the ball in from 12 for another TD. Giants were dominated that whole series. I don't give any credit to Andy for that score. Andy did proceed to throw an interception and then lose the lead. you have to admit that was an incredible catch by Gallup as Andy underthrew that ball.

Dak would not have lost the lead as the cowboys offense had figured out the Giants defense and was in full control. but we will never know.

and I didn't blame losses on Andy. I have always said Andy sucks and is limited offensively as a QB. along with a bad defense that spelled disaster. I have argued our only chance for wins came through high offensive outputs and trying to score a bunch.

perhaps, I give him just a smidgen of credit. just a smidgen though....Happy now?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Thanks for making an assumption.
Shows your hand.

And, for the record, I never root for a specific player, Dak included, but you hold on tight to those assumptions!

And you did not answer the question.
this guy would actually like to see cowboys lose over the next few years so he can gloat about Dak. on the other hand if we succeed, he will give credit to everyone but Dak. that's called putting Dak in a lose lose situation. no matter what Dak does, this guy will just hate him. that's his agenda.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
But as to your last sentence, I see your accountability share of the pie scenario in the exact opposite light. Goal posts shifted when losses occur to good teams in 2019 but sterling stats against poor teams and QBs.

Remember our convo?

And your take on "about to give up on Dak" in 2018 and then 2019 happened?

And when I comment on poor performance against .500 and above teams you respect my opinion but still seem contradictory.

But anyway, you're still my guy.

And we DO agree on the defense and it's core reasons for sucking for so long.

So at least there's that...lol

You still rock Houston :)
OMG. you can't be this dense. the post was full of sacrasm but I forget the dak hating crowd is soooo sensitive....

chill dude. have a beer. put your feet up. relax.

sacase

Reaction score
This is what I argue about with people all the time. Winning games when you know you don't have a chance to win a championship is useless. Many argue that it builds a winning attitude. Well, it doesn't. What happens this year will have little to no effect on next year. Each year is totally different, not like it was back before free agency. Teams have huge turnover every year. Just look at the years when we had success and then the subsequent year - no bearing on each other. Go no further than 2016 and 2017.

I almost question if people who think like this have ever played a competitive sport. I never went into a game or a season thinking, I am playing to lose. I don't think that I want players on my team who think like this. I don't care if we lost every game, I am going out and trying my hardest to win. Period.

Corso

Reaction score
this guy would actually like to see cowboys lose over the next few years so he can gloat about Dak. on the other hand if we succeed, he will give credit to everyone but Dak. that's called putting Dak in a lose lose situation. no matter what Dak does, this guy will just hate him. that's his agenda.
I don't care about his agenda. He's a nobody to me on that front and I couldn't care less about it.
I was wondering why he said the fans are the problem and he won't answer.
He just made an assumption about myself and then bowed out as quick as he could.

He "showed his hand".

Mannix

Reaction score
-----So unless we're a playoff caliber team we should lose all games to get draft picks?
Doesn't sound like fun.

So 25 years without a NFC Championship appearance is fun?

Corso

Reaction score
-----So unless we're a playoff caliber team we should lose all games to get draft picks?
Doesn't sound like fun.

So 25 years without a NFC Championship appearance is fun?
It's not about tanking vs not tanking.
It's about this FO and how they go about team building.

Tanking in the NFL is a trivial thing unless you get a generational QB and even then...
Andrew Lucks happen.

I get it though. Rock on.

75boyz

Reaction score
OMG. you can't be this dense. the post was full of sacrasm but I forget the dak hating crowd is soooo sensitive....

chill dude. have a beer. put your feet up. relax.

Got it. Major sarcasm supporter. Reading comprehension must've eluded me on this one but the sarcastic undertone implied the opposite of the intended message so I responded.

My bad, I guess.

chill laxng re-commences now

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I can honestly say that after being a fan since 1966, if I saw the Cowboys purposely losing games every year the minute they realize they aren’t a championship team, I’d lose all respect for and interest in them.
I enjoy watching 16 games a year, not just 7 or 8 and then finding something else to do.