The Cost of Meaningless Close Wins

the_h0wey

Reaction score
Here’s the problem w/tanking in order to better your chances in the draft. To start, no coach/general manager would ever be able to effectively instruct a group of professional athletes to intentionally lose a game while still preserving his ability to ever teach the importance of winning, never giving up or giving your all.

If a coach did encourage his players not to try or go all out for a particular game, he would be heading down a slippery slope, one that potentially cannot reversed.

perfect example Doug Pederson

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
That one sweet draft pick means a super bowl.

Fantasy Football has really screwed up some people's heads. I suppose it is a sign of these times. {sigh}
I feel a lot of people think this is the NBA where 1 pick can change an entire team.
And even then that's a rare feat.

But whatever, I'm not going to sit here and try to convince the masses of anything.
It's not like it affects the team anyways.

John813

Reaction score
Players don't tank. Coaches don't tank.

It's idiotic to think teams lose on purpose or blow games. Teams lose cause of talent disparity and/or bad coaches.

Miami owner hinted at tanking yet their players and coaches did their best to pull off 5 games with a depleted roster. They built on that the following year

No such thing as a meaningless win.

Blackrain

Reaction score
I hate the thoughts of tanking but we seem like the poster team for coming up just short of post season and finishing just well enough to have mediocre drafting position . Its a very frustrating situation mostly because it happens too often IMO

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
The Cowboys should have lost their games against Atlanta (week 2), the Giants (week 5), and the Vikings (week 11). The Cowboys could of had the 3rd overall pick. They could have received the same haul the Dolphins did for the 3rd pick. In this scenario Surtain or Horn would likely be available at 12. Plus they would have 2 extra 1st round picks + an extra 3rd round pick in the future. They could have also selected a QB at 3 and trade Dak. A ridiculous botched onside kick + signing Andy Dalton cost this franchise for years to come.

Sure glad you felt it necessary to make the 412th thread telling us something that is obvious to anyone who follows the NFL. What doesn't seem to be obvious to you, and some others, is that for players and coaches these are their jobs.

No one goes to work and intentionally screws up for the sake of future employees. It doesn't matter if you play football or drive a forklift, future employees - who may even take YOUR job - are not your priority.

plasticman

Reaction score
Ha ha ha.....yeah.....I'm not going to try my best to win this game in the final seconds. That way, the team will lose which will give them a better draft choice they can use to replace me with....because I'm a quitter when the game is close....nope.....nothing wrong with that logic.

Corso

Reaction score
Sure glad you felt it necessary to make the 412th thread telling us something that is obvious to anyone who follows the NFL. What doesn't seem to be obvious to you, and some others, is that for players and coaches these are their jobs.

No one goes to work and intentionally screws up for the sake of future employees. It doesn't matter if you play football or drive a forklift, future employees - who may even take YOUR job - are not your priority.
Fans don't give consideration to this because they want their team to succeed over anything else.
No matter how illogically they go about thinking how it can be realistically done without knowing the inner-workings of a professional team and how things go from the Top down.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Put a team on the field to lose games and next thing you know you lose 80% of your fans.

Havic

Reaction score
Destroying your culture for moving up in draft. No thanks.

Corso

Reaction score
Put a team on the field to lose games and next thing you know you lose 80% of your fans.
You also lose the players' respect for the future and then they really understand that it's all about "the bag" in this business.
And then fans hate them for their attitude.
"They don't want to win!"

Flamma

Reaction score

Yeah, an argument can be made to drop the last few games of a losing season, but there's no real way to do it. Players won't do it. In most cases either will coaches. Only GMs do it by trading away their best players for picks. Or like the Jags did it this year. But you can't expect to be taken seriously when you bring up that Dallas should have lost week 2. There is no such thing as a hindsight tank. It reminds me of the baseball joke. If you're going to ground into a double play, strike out instead.

I wish they'd change the draft order rules. Picks 1-18, random.

Vanilla2

Reaction score
This is an argument I can really get behind but something tells me I’d be on anti tanking side of things if that happened. I guess that’s life as a cowboy fann

Fizziksman

BanditHiro
Reaction score
players don't tank...they don't care about better draft positioning because those are players that are there to fight for their spots. In order to tank the owner and GM have to specifically field a poor team to do so.

Corso

Reaction score
Yeah, an argument can be made to drop the last few games of a losing season, but there's no real way to do it. Players won't do it. In most cases either will coaches. Only GMs do it by trading away their best players for picks. Or like the Jags did it this year. But you can't expect to be taken seriously when you bring up that Dallas should have lost week 2. There is no such thing as a hindsight tank. It reminds me of the baseball joke. If you're going to ground into a double play, strike out instead.

I wish they'd change the draft order rules. Picks 1-18, random.
Lottery, like the NBA?

Corso

Reaction score
This is an argument I can really get behind but something tells me I’d be on anti tanking side of things if that happened. I guess that’s life as a cowboy fann
Why does your avi look like that Good Eats guy that's merged with a well-dressed thumb?